* I've = in the
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: LHBH
Good breakfast
A solid number 2 (no joke, very important)
Lots of water the day before
A cold beer (ease the nerves)
A five minute jog and jumping jacks
30 putts and some drives
Let's rock
Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj29274 View Post
Good breakfast
30 putts and some drives
Let's rock

ALWAYS take care of the duece!!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 41
I'm really looking forward to see how you does as I've been a fan of your videos since you were throwing wizards. Just from the vids, you look like you will do well in AM1 but its fine to play your first tourney in AM2 (Int.)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj29274 View Post
Good breakfast
30 putts and some drives
Let's rock
I forgot the second step one time, had to go quickly before the round and didn't have time to do enough follow-up. Shot the hot round for that course, out at your Treebash not last year but the one before. Lost a pair of underwear to it though.

Really though this is a solid solid pre-game ritual. I'm a fan of #4. Only one though.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcr_russell View Post
I forgot the second step one time, had to go quickly before the round and didn't have time to do enough follow-up. Shot the hot round for that course, out at your Treebash not last year but the one before. Lost a pair of underwear to it though.

Really though this is a solid solid pre-game ritual. I'm a fan of #4. Only one though.
lol about #2, I played in an ice bowl that was in a public park with no bathrooms. One guy crawled under a gazebo and went there. I opted to hold it and blow up the bathroom at the mexican joint we ate at. The second round was worse.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcr_russell View Post
When the round begins try and have friendly conversation with your group. If there is enough of an air of positivity and friendliness among the group the whiners either don't pitch in or they isolate themselves from the other 3-4 of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdphil View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with this from my perspective. I find that constant small talk distracts the hell out of me and makes me play much more slowly and poorly. If someone talks to me I'm always friendly and don't blow them off, but otherwise I'm pretty quiet. If that makes me a "whiner" than so be it I guess... it's just what works best for me.
I gotta agree with GCR here. I think you Burd, and him might just define small talk differently. Nobody likes people talking while they are shooting or preparing to shoot but their is plenty of room for words between those moments.

Like GCR says it helps to bond the whole group,and insulate the group as a whole from one person being negative or selfish. Things like compliments, sympathetic jokes, questions or talk about lines or wind or pin placements, or terrain to me are always welcome and make a round much more enjoyable. Not only does it leave less room for negativity but it just makes the round more fun IMO.

Their is nothing worse in a tourny of golf than to me than that feeling when you are just starting to get tired so maybe 13 or 14 holes in, and no one has said a word except for the scores for 40 minutes. Just feels cold and a bit pointless. So I guess to me the comrodery is a big part of it.

I occasionally notice people say little and maybe even seem like they don't appreciate this "banter" (maybe more accurate than small talk) so I will do my best to dial it back out of courtasey but only to a certain point.

I guess the difference between banter and small talk is IMO ,small talk requires a response, " So how old are your kids?". Banter doesn't require a response and thus I feel less bad about, "Looks like it's a bit windier over on that point eh? Does that distinction make sense Burd?

Small talk, unless people are friends is usually best left for after the round or during long walkouts or maybe even a backup. Banter, to some degree or another, to me is a part of the game.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by trifocal View Post
Get a caddie. thank me later.
I try to get my kids to caddy for me but they just kind of roll their eyes and snicker then walk away. When I ask the wife well lets just say if I repeated what she said I may get banned!!!

have fun is probably the best advice. I recently played a tourney and i am just a rec player but I played crappy even for me and let it get to me. I did not have fun and learned a lesson. Even when things go bad just brush it off and have fun and it will make the whole experience better. Also stay for the awards especially if you by a ticket for a disc catcher sport and win!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:45 PM

If you decide not to sign up for a pdga membership I would suggest doing the Westside Challenge which is July 6th. It is at the Hoover Reservoir, but a temporary 18 hole course they set up, and is also played in the Hambrick. It has some interesting holes with a few that start from the top of the damn. It is a C-tier.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
I'm not very experienced in DG tournaments, but have played in a lot of amateur ball golf tourneys. The most important thing is to give yourself a chance to perform well. Eat well and lay out your gear the night before. Get enough sleep and give yourself plenty of time to go through your usual morning routine and still get to the course early (when parking is easy), stretch and warm up before the player's meeting. Have some treats to munch on, and something to sit on for the unavoidable long waits. In short, do everything in your control to reduce stress.

If you feel good, any bad shots and/or bad attitudes will be easier to handle gracefully.