Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menacewarf View Post
Other advice would be to try and play in your own world. The mantras in my head which lead to good tourney rounds are always, be patient, play your game, focus on the next shot, stay relaxed. Staying aloof and apart from other player's struggles, or particularly any you might encounter always seems like an advantage to me.
This just reminds me of that feeling ... I'm sure most (all?) of you have experienced it ... where you walk up to your putt, inside or outside the circle, and you just *know* that you'll make it. And you do. Over and over. To me it's something about the "staying aloof" that Menace mentions, like you don't really care even though, of course, you do. And trusting your skills. And only remembering the good shots. And remembering the bad shots as good because they set you up for the next good shot.

Man, if I could figure out how to turn that on at will...

I believe that after you've learned to throw the disc more or less straight, it's overwhelmingly a matter of managing your own head. Have selective memory...think about the good throws and know that you'll only make more. Have selective amnesia..."What throw in the pond? I've not thrown a bad shot all day."
Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 46
I just love to compete. I like the feel of the pressure and usually am up for the challenge or least have no one to blame if I don't. Just get your head straight. Realize mistakes count for more but the players with the cooler head will win out.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:28 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.4
good luck to you! i am playing in my first event MArch 23,24 at LA Mirada, only been playing serious for 2-3 months after a 13 gap. i am curious to see how my nerves are the day of. but it cant be any worse than the nerves from a motorcycle race. look forward to hearing how you do
Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
~20 tournies a year

I try to play 2 days leading up to an event, but not the day before. No golf, probably no putting. I want to be fresh.

I have a problem building up excitement before the event, that sometimes I get there and am deflated. This happens a lot this time of year, first tournament of the season. This weekend is the OPC Open I look forward to every year. This week I will try to eat right and stretch/yoga everyday. I'll play one round tomorrow, and hope to play two on Wednesday. Putting everyday except Friday. I will turn my focus away from golf on Friday, clean the house, take the wifey out for dinner....anything to distract me. The idea is when I show up Saturday, I'm fired up and ready play.

Of course, being prepared for the elements is a must. Have the right gear, but know its never going to be the gear that matters.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agricolae View Post
This just reminds me of that feeling ... I'm sure most (all?) of you have experienced it ... where you walk up to your putt, inside or outside the circle, and you just *know* that you'll make it. And you do. Over and over. To me it's something about the "staying aloof" that Menace mentions, like you don't really care even though, of course, you do. And trusting your skills. And only remembering the good shots. And remembering the bad shots as good because they set you up for the next good shot.

Man, if I could figure out how to turn that on at will...
I talk about this all the time. When I'm practicing putting, this is what I'm practicing, cultivating that feeling. To me it's,the essence of,what I'm looking for. That moment when time stands still and performance is perfect. At that point it doesn't matter if your spin putting or push putting, it's going in.

The effortless present.

Finding a groove to sink into, having a mantra, or lyrics to a song....this is when I play in the zone. When you're focused and not distracted, you find yourself and your mind in a unique but familiar place. It's undeniable, and its why I continue to compete. It happens rarely but I still chase it.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Bogey Member

The week before a tournament I type out my plan for each hole (if I have played the course before), each round. I then play every hole in my mind at least a few times. I give myself mental cues to think about...such as make sure you follow through, stick to routine, commit to the shot, let bad shots go, etc. I tend to overthink my shots and strategy, so I like to have a solid plan going into tournament rounds. It seems to work pretty well for me. I stick to shots I know I can make.

Of course nothing works out exactly the way you plan it, but if I do this it takes a lot of the decision making out of my mind and I play better.