Old 03-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 437
Throwing Style: LHFH
So if the current division titles aren't that great what, what other names could we give them?

Advanced = ?
Intermediate = ?
Rec = ?
Novice = ?

I'm thinking
Advanced = Sand baggers from Open
Intermediate = Sand baggers from Advanced
Rec = Sand baggers from Intermediate
Novice = Sand baggers from Rec
Old 03-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
I never really liked the rating system because non pdga members can play where they want. My first ever tourney I played in was won in intermed division by a player who would of win advance by 5 strokes. The top 3 guys should of been top 5 in advance. They took a big chunk of the money. Just felt kind of crappy
Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by texhop58 View Post
I never really liked the rating system because non pdga members can play where they want. My first ever tourney I played in was won in intermed division by a player who would of win advance by 5 strokes. The top 3 guys should of been top 5 in advance. They took a big chunk of the money. Just felt kind of crappy
(1) They can't play where they want. The TD has the right to put them where he thinks they should be. Or exclude them entirely.

(2) It's not the ratings system's fault. Before it came along you had the same situation, or even worse.

(3) The question would be, do they normally shoot that good? Or was it just hot rounds from inconsistent players?

This is apparently a regional issue. For years I've been scouring results around here for signs of actual non-member sandbagging, but can't find them.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottafixit View Post
So if the current division titles aren't that great what, what other names could we give them?

Advanced = ?
Intermediate = ?
Rec = ?
Novice = ?

I'm thinking
Advanced = Sand baggers from Open
Intermediate = Sand baggers from Advanced
Rec = Sand baggers from Intermediate
Novice = Sand baggers from Rec
Awesome, made me laugh. It's so sad that it is truly seen this way.

You could maybe do locked into your rating division for tourney, unless you play open (anyone can play) UNLESS it is a certified series, in which case, your rating at first tourney sets your division for the entire year (for points, etc). That would end all sandbagging conversation, especially combined with the new 888 withdraw score.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottafixit View Post
I was contacted by the TD saying I might want to consider bumping up as there have been some complaints as I have been playing a few years now. I told him I took no offense to his suggestion and that I have no issue with moving up but explained the above. He understood and said to keep him posted should I be feeling more competitive come April. The thing that got me thinking was that he said in his opinion if I was in full health that a rating of 887 was to high to be playing Rec.
I'm just speculating becasue I don't have any more information than this, but is it possible that the TD was more warning you that you might see some negative attitudes? Rather than him claiming that you should be playing up a division he was just saying that not everyone will be happy with you, even if their reasoning is bad. As a TD I'm sure one of his goals is for everyone in attendance to have a good time and continue to play at his events. If you have everyone in your division nagging you you may be less likely to come back for his next tournament.

Of course it could also be that he's not smart enough to understand ratings and divisions. I'm just offering an alternate explanation.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
If all I got for winning an amateur division was a trophy I would probably never play a PDGA again unless I got good enough to play Open and compete. I could care less about trophies, I want swag.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
If all I got for winning an amateur division was a trophy I would probably never play a PDGA again unless I got good enough to play Open and compete. I could care less about trophies, I want swag.
What if you received a very good player's pack? $30 gets you a choice of 2 shirts/discs

Dynamic Discs did/does this fairly well.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
And while I understand that's a popular sentiment, it's this attitude from Am players that is holding us back as a sport.

Some disc golfers need to ask their friends in other amateur pursuits what the winners in those activities get for their accomplishments. I'd suspect that its not much more than a trophy.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 437
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
I'm just speculating becasue I don't have any more information than this, but is it possible that the TD was more warning you that you might see some negative attitudes? Rather than him claiming that you should be playing up a division he was just saying that not everyone will be happy with you, even if their reasoning is bad. As a TD I'm sure one of his goals is for everyone in attendance to have a good time and continue to play at his events. If you have everyone in your division nagging you you may be less likely to come back for his next tournament.

Of course it could also be that he's not smart enough to understand ratings and divisions. I'm just offering an alternate explanation.
The TD knows what he is doing and considering my past division history at events I have no issues with him approaching me to step up. If I was in full health I might actually have signed up in INT. Heck I think last year I was thinking of playing advanced so I could play the same layout as open just so I could compare scores(and then shot a 873, 813, 863 rated rounds). This year I'm injured, haven't played in three months, and most of all just looking to have a good time with the others at the tournament.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Some disc golfers need to ask their friends in other amateur pursuits what the winners in those activities get for their accomplishments. I'd suspect that its not much more than a trophy.
I've posted a few times before all of the stuff I've competed in at an amateur level in the past and the absolute best I ever could have won was a trophy. Even getting the equivalent of what you'd normally see in a disc golf player's pack was almost unheard of. Most of the time what you won was the opportunity to spend even more money to go to another event with no chance for winning anything. The system where am's only play for trophies has worked for dozens if not hundreds of different activities. There's no reason to think that DG would be an exception.