Old 03-01-2013, 06:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Hmm Gold doesnt oxidize or tarnish. Masters Gold, Aged Gold, Golden oldies?
Clearly I'm not a Gold player....I'm oxidized, tarnished, corroded, and crumbling. Then again, I like Golden Oldies...and then Golden Olders.....

I deride the division names, but I have to admit that "Advanced Grand Master" is the loftiest label I'll ever attain, in any pursuit.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: LHBH
I am playing in my first official PDGA tournament tomorrow and I'm playing recreational even though my best rated round at that course would be in the 890's, which still says I should play recreational. If I shoot an 890 round and happen to win I know I will get called a sandbagger even though it's my first tournament and I have been playing disc golf for 8 months. It's part of the game for some people to find an excuse to why they didn't win and use a term incorrectly. If I happen to play great and get called out on playing rec then I just walk away from the situation and ignore the person doing it. The players that know me will know that I am where I should be. I'd much rather have a chance at a competitive round; as opposed to playing up in Intermediate where I know for a fact I have no chance at placing in the top ten UNLESS I shoot my best round ever at that course. Where would the fun in that be? I plan on playing in divisions based on my rating and that's that.

(We all know that people will always try to call out a sandbagger and that It won't go away until there is a definitive way to make sure people are playing in the right division, whatever that may be for them.)

Last edited by CBoyle; 03-01-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
How about something like below where it's not hard to figure out the pecking order of divisions:
MPO=Titanium
MA1=Platinum
MA2=Gold
MA3=Silver
MA4=Bronze

FPO=Diamond
FA1=Ruby
FA2=Emerald
...where player have the chance to compete for medals of glorious gold, so-so silver, and shameful bronze
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
I fail to see how letting ams win swag is holding the sport back. It increases the amount of people playing am in tourneys which grows the sport. The idea that this money should be going to open players which will attract bigger crowds in open is nieve. The purse for open players won't truly grow until the sport gets more sponsors and having more people show up at a tourney gets you more sponsors and guess what gets more players there.... the chance to win more than a trophy.

I don't know what other am sports you guys play but when i played am ball golf there were prizes for winners. At the bowling league near my house they give prizes for winning weekly. Incentives for participation is something most am leagues use to boost attendance.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 78
Quote:
How about something like below where it's not hard to figure out the pecking order of divisions:
MPO=Titanium
MA1=Platinum
MA2=Gold
MA3=Silver
MA4=Bronze

FPO=Diamond
FA1=Ruby
FA2=Emerald
that presumes that there are not separate am and pro tracks.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
I fail to see how letting ams win swag is holding the sport back. It increases the amount of people playing am in tourneys which grows the sport. The idea that this money should be going to open players which will attract bigger crowds in open is nieve. The purse for open players won't truly grow until the sport gets more sponsors and having more people show up at a tourney gets you more sponsors and guess what gets more players there.... the chance to win more than a trophy.
I think the argument for "true" amateur divisions is mutually exclusive from the desire for bigger pro purses. Am money should absolutely stay in the am divisions. Trophy-only, no payout am divisions wouldn't charge (and wouldn't *need* to charge) $30, $40, $50 per player. They could charge $10-15 to cover fees and expenses, maybe a player pack disc, and that would be that. No funneling money away to the pros whatsoever.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:40 PM
* Ace Member *

I think the way pdga sanctioned tourneys are set up are fine. Low cost competitions should be left to local clubs to run. That way that money supports the local scene.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
I think the way pdga sanctioned tourneys are set up are fine. Low cost competitions should be left to local clubs to run. That way that money supports the local scene.
Thing is, PDGA sanctioned tournaments can and often have been run as low cost, low/no am payout tournaments. It's not as though such a thing requires wholesale changes in the current tournament structure.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:19 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBoyle View Post
I am playing in my first official PDGA tournament tomorrow and I'm playing recreational even though my best rated round at that course would be in the 890's, which still says I should play recreational. If I shoot an 890 round and happen to win I know I will get called a sandbagger even though it's my first tournament and I have been playing disc golf for 8 months. It's part of the game for some people to find an excuse to why they didn't win and use a term incorrectly. If I happen to play great and get called out on playing rec then I just walk away from the situation and ignore the person doing it. The players that know me will know that I am where I should be. I'd much rather have a chance at a competitive round; as opposed to playing up in Intermediate where I know for a fact I have no chance at placing in the top ten UNLESS I shoot my best round ever at that course. Where would the fun in that be? I plan on playing in divisions based on my rating and that's that.

(We all know that people will always try to call out a sandbagger and that It won't go away until there is a definitive way to make sure people are playing in the right division, whatever that may be for them.)

If playing 890 golf wins your rec division, you're most certainly not sandbagging, it just means that a ton of others are playing up. That's a fine choice, but it in no way obligates you to do the same. The Chicago area gets a pretty good number of people playing their rated division and you often need to shoot well above the division break to win the division. That means that if you're consistently winning in a division you'll be moved up by default because your rating will move above the break point. Then it doesn't come down to peer pressure and random cutoffs in different places.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Thing is, PDGA sanctioned tournaments can and often have been run as low cost, low/no am payout tournaments. It's not as though such a thing requires wholesale changes in the current tournament structure.
well nothing is stopping you from from TD'ing such a tournament, nothing is stopping anyone else from running such a tournament. so if you want tournaments ran as such in your area go run them. if you aren't lucky enough to have low cost singles in your area then you'll probably get a good draw for such an event. where i live we have a lot of non-pdga events going on that are low cost so i'm not worried about it. my guess is when people play pdga's they want the experience of it all, which includes the swag and the chance to win something tangible besides a trophy that'll get stuck on a shelf and forgotten.