Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Lockdown at Marana Rock - B tier - 3/23 - 3/24--Marana, AZ

Im going to play in this tournament. Have reviewed course notes, reviews, and pictures, but havent played the course before.
For those who are familiar with the course or tourney, do you have any tips about the course or the area in general for someone from out of town?

Stay in Tucson or Marana? If flying in to Tucson, would I need to rent a car? Travel time from course to airport?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDFrosty View Post
Im going to play in this tournament. Have reviewed course notes, reviews, and pictures, but havent played the course before.
For those who are familiar with the course or tourney, do you have any tips about the course or the area in general for someone from out of town?

Stay in Tucson or Marana? If flying in to Tucson, would I need to rent a car? Travel time from course to airport?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
I'd stay in Marana if were you. The airport is on the South side of Tucson, where Marana is north of town. You will need to rent a car. Also pray that the course is dry. If it's muddy it is damn near unplayable.
Bring your Big Boy Driver...Marana has some length.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Birdie Member

Thanks for the tips! I'm all registered, staying in Marana w/ car.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 12
Marana Rock is essentially my home course. The course will be dry - it floods from July to November but the rest of the year it is playable. More of a bomber course than a finesse course with 3 holes +500 ft one of which is +800 ft. Sunday the TD sets up an extra 9 holes so we play 27. Those of us in the league are getting a sneak peak this weekend at the extra long setup.

The only other real advice I have is watch your drives closely on 6 as the landing area is blind and there are several trees/shrubs that come into play. More often than not we're looking for someones disc on that hole.

Definitely stay in Marana. If you can come out and play the doubles Friday afternoon to get a look at the course.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnone View Post
Marana Rock is essentially my home course. The course will be dry - it floods from July to November but the rest of the year it is playable. More of a bomber course than a finesse course with 3 holes +500 ft one of which is +800 ft. Sunday the TD sets up an extra 9 holes so we play 27. Those of us in the league are getting a sneak peak this weekend at the extra long setup.

The only other real advice I have is watch your drives closely on 6 as the landing area is blind and there are several trees/shrubs that come into play. More often than not we're looking for someones disc on that hole.

Definitely stay in Marana. If you can come out and play the doubles Friday afternoon to get a look at the course.
Cool, thanks for the tips. Since Ive never played the course I definitely plan on making it to doubles on Friday. Hopefully I'll get paired with someone who knows the course.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 42
I will be playing too along with 3-4 other guys from my area. Considering the course is almost a 5 hour drive from home I don't have much experience with it but the one other event I've played there I had a blast. The only unfortunate thing for my group is our arrival Friday late night and leaving as soon as awards are over Sunday.
Were also trying to figure out lodging, between camping at Picacho state park 30 minutes up the interstate, or all splitting a room in Marana. The only plans I know for sure involve bringing a group out to Chilis on Saturday night on me.
Boy will Feldbeard be disappointed I beat him out there.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 90
Just played it today, and it's in GREAT condition. Since I've last played it, I saw huge improvements on clearing some clutter and debris from multiple holes. I love the tunnel view on #13! There is no standing water, and no muck/mud near any of the fairways. However, today was MASSIVELY windy. I can't imagine how topsy-turvey the tourney will be if everyone's dealing with such constant gusts. I'm totally hyped for the Lockdown!!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Birdie Member

I'm always up for rounds in the wind! It seems like every round Ive played recently has been in some sort of medium/strong wind, so it's been good preparation. It's the mud and rattlesnakes that have me worried. Crap, I hate snakes.
I look forward to hopefully meeting some fellow DGCR members out there, and hopefully swapping my travel tag for the first time this year.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 42
Does anyone know if the first two rounds are normal tee/pin positions? Or are they lengthening the course and switching it up at all like the 2011 SADGC?

Old 03-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 57
I want to play this soooo bad dammit! Idk if its in the cards financially

Someone sponsor me ! Lol

Course is in great condition... Make sure u thank mike anderson for all his effort, he will be moving out of state soon so make sure u acknowledge all the work he put into this beautiful course