Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments

Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 AM

Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAPE12 View Post
I'm really confused by why some people on here think that because there's no "payout" there's nothing to win? Does the title of "World Champion" mean nothing? Does that not open doors to improve and expand your play to another level of competition? And if you win, you'll be getting a basket valued at $400+. Win and get something. Don't win, and you're not rewarded. There is competition among every division at Worlds, including the women's divisions. Maybe you all should spend more time working on your game so that you have a better chance to win than complaining about the payout model.
TonyAPE12, I understand this tournament will have a prizes for the top finishers. At first reading in the Dg magazine I did not. I was upset with the literal meaning of a trophy only tournament and an everyones a winner players pack. This will be my first Worlds, I am fine with the title, a possible basket, or something else to reward top play. That is my entire arguement that keeps going around in circles. I just tend to go on a rant when I hear people dont mind paying high entry fees to win "just a trophy" I dont want tourneys to turn that way. Especially when this is suppose to draw the best of the best in your division.The other thing that continues to get in my crawl is when they compare other am sports not having a payout and based on trophy only. Its not even close to disc golf that is trying to grow and gain support. Other sports have a foundation and you have to earn your spot to play pro, and playing pro means you have earnings to support yourself. Unlike disc golf where you can pay to play pro just to do it. As far as my practicing, its easier to complian at 130 in the morning then practice. I appreciate the recommendation though.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Yup. And every 5k pays out a pile of running shoes and stopwatches.
Classic. Be forewarned that I'll be plagiarizing this in future threads.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 AM

Hello all

Now i have been following this thread for a few days, and i think it has gone a little out of hand :-)

Some people are complaing about using $1000 dollars to get to the AM worlds and compete, and all they will recieve if they win is a Throphy... why donīt they stay at home, then they have already won $1000. I understand that some people are tired of discs, towels and other merch, but then AM worlds might not be the tournament for you, then you might compete in the PRO worlds.

If i was able to get on the top of the stairs at the final, then the title as World Champion would mean more to me than a $350 or so payout ... but dont worry, i will not get on the top of the stairs ;-)

Personally i will use around $2000 just to come to the AM worlds and play (travelling from Europe), and i already know that i will not win anything, īcause i am not good enough - but i will be more than happy to recieve a great players package with lots of nice stuff in it, but what i really look forward to, is playing Disc Golf with a lot of you guys (and girls) and hopefully make som new friendships and not least have a great time doing what i love the most - play disc golf.

I am so looking forward to this tournament and i have no other expectations than have a great time and meet a lot of new people, if these 2 things add up, i will go home as a winner in my mind :-)

See you guys at the AMīs

And remember, i respect all your guys opinions, i am not trying to piss off anyone at all.

And please have this thread discussion finished before july so that you all can be happy when we meet in Emporia ;-) hahaha
Old 03-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto View Post
SteezeOG: I hope all goes well and that happy friendly attitude shines. Just a bit of advice when people are rude dont feed into it doesnt bode well on you.

I am quite friendly and happy. Everyone says so. When people are rude I laugh. When people are rude AND wrong I destroy them, just like that guy who thinks killer tornadoes are comical. Thanks for your concern and you might want to actually read Jeremy's statement. Scores will be kept, and winners will get paid. The only difference is the middle of the pack people don't get their gift certificates just for showing up. You guys and gals who are making a big deal out of everyone getting trophies like it's some everyone wins kids league are ironically arguing against that same system. You want something for doing nothing other than traveling. Congrats you made it to Kansas alive, here's your free coupon, happy return trip. Or....you come no matter the cost for the competition and if you perform you get paid. Something for nothing leaves us all broke.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: RHBH
Too bad I cannot make this years worlds! Sounds great Jeremy.

Charlotte still has a basket debt. I think paying out $100 to the 125th player has something to do with it.

Last edited by 1978; 03-11-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAPE12 View Post
I'm really confused by why some people on here think that because there's no "payout" there's nothing to win? Does the title of "World Champion" mean nothing? Does that not open doors to improve and expand your play to another level of competition? And if you win, you'll be getting a basket valued at $400+. Win and get something. Don't win, and you're not rewarded. There is competition among every division at Worlds, including the women's divisions. Maybe you all should spend more time working on your game so that you have a better chance to win than complaining about the payout model.
nicely put.

I would like a trophy to solidify my title of Amateur World Champion. I don't need anything else. (i'm not even playing am worlds, but the limited payout has NOTHING to do with it)
Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 188
^ THIS

If your looking for a payout to buy plastic then stick to your monthly/weekly local tournaments.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 74
I personally would be happy with less payout in tournaments in exchange for a trophy for first (or even first and second). I have two wins in Int at C-tier tournaments and the plastic I got as payout just disappeared into my stack of discs - they don't really stand out as something special that I won. I would love to have a small trophy to show for those wins instead.

However, I don't like the people trying to make analogies to other sports and say that disc golf (pro or am) pays out deeper than other sports. I don't know if this is a good example or not, but at pro tennis tournaments you get money even if you lose the first match.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 53
a decent player's pack and trophy only is more than fine. looking back, i'd rather have a trophy to show an accomplishment than a thrashed piece of plastic.

i enjoy getting the majority of my discs here used, anyway.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceguy87 View Post
I personally would be happy with less payout in tournaments in exchange for a trophy for first (or even first and second). I have two wins in Int at C-tier tournaments and the plastic I got as payout just disappeared into my stack of discs - they don't really stand out as something special that I won. I would love to have a small trophy to show for those wins instead.

However, I don't like the people trying to make analogies to other sports and say that disc golf (pro or am) pays out deeper than other sports. I don't know if this is a good example or not, but at pro tennis tournaments you get money even if you lose the first match.
A lot of DD Tournaments have trophy discs for first place in every division. At least, they do around here.