Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments

Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allurex View Post
A lot of DD Tournaments have trophy discs for first place in every division. At least, they do around here.
That's cool. I just played Texas States and they had lots of payout AND trophies. I think trophies are catching on, they just don't do it for the small C-tiers they run in Houston yet - which I guess is understandable considering the size of the event.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 106
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allurex View Post
A lot of DD Tournaments have trophy discs for first place in every division. At least, they do around here.
That's because Scott Reek is the man!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 44
Tourney i was in this weekend (and finished DFL, damnit) ...had medals for the winners, in addition to plastic/cash depending on division. Nothing big, but still a nice reminder of what you won...
Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 740
Wisconsin has always given out trophies of some sort; usually only for first though; sometimes a little further down. I am amazed that there are evidently places that don't. I assumed that was a given. They're not always fancy, state tour events use to award a black disc with appropriate stamp; for many years. A coveted black disc was valued enough that if you could get one on the "black market" to hang on your wall collection; it was a coup to do so...
But, many tournaments gave out quite interesting trophies of all types; and I'm not speaking of anything purchased at a trophy store. They would almost always be something hand made and disc golf related.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
Wisconsin has always given out trophies of some sort; usually only for first though; sometimes a little further down. I am amazed that there are evidently places that don't. I assumed that was a given. They're not always fancy, state tour events use to award a black disc with appropriate stamp; for many years. A coveted black disc was valued enough that if you could get one on the "black market" to hang on your wall collection; it was a coup to do so...
But, many tournaments gave out quite interesting trophies of all types; and I'm not speaking of anything purchased at a trophy store. They would almost always be something hand made and disc golf related.
I wish it were that way down here! for the two wins I have, I just used some of my payout money to pick out a trophy disc that I plan to hang on the wall.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Bogey Member

Post deleted.

Last edited by spaceguy87; 03-20-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: im dumb
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Trophies for 1st, in addition to payouts, are given in some tournaments around here, but probably a minority of them. I rather like a custom-stamped 1st place disc; you can hang it on your wall, or throw it, depending on your feelings on trophies.

At Stoney Hill we give trophies in addition to payouts at one of our two sanctioned events. The other is a charity fundraiser, so on a tighter budget.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Trophies for 1st, in addition to payouts, are given in some tournaments around here, but probably a minority of them. I rather like a custom-stamped 1st place disc; you can hang it on your wall, or throw it, depending on your feelings on trophies.

At Stoney Hill we give trophies in addition to payouts at one of our two sanctioned events. The other is a charity fundraiser, so on a tighter budget.

Also depending on the disc. I won a trophy Buzzz at a tournament last year but I only throw Rocs.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
True. But you have the option to throw it or hang it up. Any other trophy doesn't give you that option. Personally, I've thrown all the trophy discs I've received---some made it in my bag, some just occasionally. My only concession is that I'm reluctant to throw them where I may lose them.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
I hate players packs. It seems like they use them as an excuse to not have good payouts. Nobody ever uses the **** they get in players packs, how bout we get rid of them and use all that wasted moeny for payouts? Also, if are doing players packs for tourneys, why must you always pretend that they are worth much more than they actually are? I'm looking at dynamic discs claiming their player packs were worth over $175... bull ****ing ****. I could buy all that **** and put it together myself for $100, i still wouldn't use any of that **** though.