Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments

Old 03-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain_ape7 View Post
Wow...a lot of different opinions on this thread. Personally, we'll spend about $3500 to fly my family back to KS this summer and compete. I really hope to play well and it will be a great experience for my son. I couldn't care less about trophy, players pack, or script payouts. My son and I will come to compete. That's it. Life is short man.....how many opportunities will each of you have to play for a world championship title? Focus on what you are there to do, not payouts. Play out of your mind and find a way to win. Who wants 2nd place? Or 22nd? I don't care about ratings or experience or the depth of the field. The champion was the best player THAT WEEK. Quit whining about payouts and go focus on winning your division.
You get once year to compete for that title since is really easy to play am worlds. The points should be raised back up to enter and point should be the only way to get to play.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
The points should be raised back up
Agreed. Too many people can secure an invite under the current system just by playing one super large event like BG Ams or the GBO.

Quote:
point should be the only way to get to play.
Ehh, not so agreed, for now anyway. Until we can ensure that Am Worlds fills on invites (until last year it never had), doing this would be cutting the hosts throats. People need to remember that getting the points and paying the entry fee is cheap compared to paying for the gas, lodging, food, possibly a plane flight and rental car for what is essentially a week long vacation, and dealing with employer and family issues to make it possible.

I'm 100 miles from Emporia and even if a waiting list were to open, I won't be able to attend.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Par Member

We always talk about discs in player packs and payouts. I would like to see more items related to the sport other than discs. I played worlds last year and they had everything you may need to help you get through a round including hats, clothing, stools and the such minus ONE thing. SHOES. My first tournament back in '06 had some shoes to choose from but since then I have not seen one retailer carry them. If DD wants to give away $175 in merch let $130 of it be in a shoe voucher. Id be all over that tourney! Keens anyone? I go through about 1-2 pairs a year with all that I play.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
Player's packs are a way for TD to make some money (for whatever purposes he/she desires). I also wish to go back to the old days of $20 for a tourney and compete for a minimal prize; or cash, in the open division. At the same time, we rightly agree that TD should have the option to make a bit for him/herself and/or the local course/club. Player's packs are the only way to do that.
I've only run unsanctioned events which is another way. I think lunch can also be a money maker, and I don't know for sure on sanctioned events, but I thought the TD can charge admin fees and greens fees?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Down View Post
We always talk about discs in player packs and payouts. I would like to see more items related to the sport other than discs. I played worlds last year and they had everything you may need to help you get through a round including hats, clothing, stools and the such minus ONE thing. SHOES. My first tournament back in '06 had some shoes to choose from but since then I have not seen one retailer carry them. If DD wants to give away $175 in merch let $130 of it be in a shoe voucher. Id be all over that tourney! Keens anyone? I go through about 1-2 pairs a year with all that I play.
Didn't Pro Worlds in 2011 at Dela gave out actual Keen Dela shoes?

I have a friend that won enough times at the DD - KC ran tournies that he purchased a set of Keen Delas with them. They do carry them in both KS stores.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 93
Throwing Style: RHBH
Trophy only makes sense for collegiate and high school tournaments and championships. So do away with the word amateur when discussing our current structure and only apply it to collegiate/high school formats.

You all need to let go of the terms professional and amateur in their literal meaning and look at the reality of who plays in tournaments and what they are wanting out of it. Most current PDGA participants are 30 somethings that simply want the tournament experience.

A payout is just another part of that experience. Take away the payout and you're taking away part of the tournament experience. Just because the PDGA utilizes those terms does not mean anything.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Agreed. Too many people can secure an invite under the current system just by playing one super large event like BG Ams or the GBO.

Ehh, not so agreed, for now anyway. Until we can ensure that Am Worlds fills on invites (until last year it never had), doing this would be cutting the hosts throats. People need to remember that getting the points and paying the entry fee is cheap compared to paying for the gas, lodging, food, possibly a plane flight and rental car for what is essentially a week long vacation, and dealing with employer and family issues to make it possible.

I'm 100 miles from Emporia and even if a waiting list were to open, I won't be able to attend.
Why not? Worlds invites should be done like Beaver State Fling open sign ups. We will use advanced as an example. So if you put the points to get into world up to 1250 those player get there invites. Then like a month later send invites for players over 1000 points and so on.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHFH
So, why is everyone up in arms with this? Isn't there a pro status and Am status for a reason?

•Professional — $75 (USD)
Members accepting cash in PDGA sanctioned events

•Amateur
•Standard — $50 (USD)
Members accepting prizes in PDGA sanctioned events

Definition of AMATEUR
1: devotee, admirer
2: one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport as a pastime rather than as a profession
3: one lacking in experience and competence in an art or science

Examples of AMATEUR
She played soccer as an amateur before turning professional.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Why not? Worlds invites should be done like Beaver State Fling open sign ups. We will use advanced as an example. So if you put the points to get into world up to 1250 those player get there invites. Then like a month later send invites for players over 1000 points and so on.
Do the open spots at the BSF sell out every year where you have to make things that exclusive? If so, that type of system works. Traditionally, Am Worlds (until last year) has never sold out, which is why the waiting list system was developed.

I'd suspect the main reason it did sell out last year had more to do with it being located in a disc golf mecca with marquee courses and easy access to large player bases in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast than it did with the points qualification being lowered. I do however think players with 1000+ points should have had first priority over those with 500-999.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Par Member

I have noticed that more Ams attend worlds when it is a combined Am and Pro Worlds. But back in the day getting an invite to worlds was an accomplishment now anyone can do it. Just like back in the day the PDGA gave out tour pins when you were in the top % in points.