Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments

Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Down View Post
Neither am I but my wallet takes a hit with big entry fees. You don't understand Because I am charged over $75 for A-tiers but want to play every weekend I am forced to sell all the contents of my player pack to keep truckin on the "AM tour" lol.
C and L tiers are much cheaper, so are local club minis. No one is forcing you to play in A-tiers *said in a happy respectful tone*

AM Worlds is the biggest tournament, in the world, for this game, with the governing body sanctioning it and a huge DG company running it. It's the premier event for AMs. My thought it, why even have 500 contestants? Why not just the top 144 ranked AMs? Have a "cut", only play one course. Reason they can't is simple...not enough sponsors, not even spectators.

My thought would be that the top 3 AMs in the world receive cash, and must turn pro. That's just me, but it should be a compliment to be considered that good and be compensated for your victory, and get off the AM wagon.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 04:40 PM

Courses Played: 18
That's what I have in mind. Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyBear View Post
C and L tiers are much cheaper, so are local club minis. No one is forcing you to play in A-tiers *said in a happy respectful tone*

AM Worlds is the biggest tournament, in the world, for this game, with the governing body sanctioning it and a huge DG company running it. It's the premier event for AMs. My thought it, why even have 500 contestants? Why not just the top 144 ranked AMs? Have a "cut", only play one course. Reason they can't is simple...not enough sponsors, not even spectators.

My thought would be that the top 3 AMs in the world receive cash, and must turn pro. That's just me, but it should be a compliment to be considered that good and be compensated for your victory, and get off the AM wagon.
I think that is the most sensible solution. You play to place and prove your ready to move up. I have only been playing for two years and I wanted to make this my one and only am Tourney. Yes I am a girl. Not much competition around here. That being said I want more than a trophy. trophies are for kids. I want something i get use out of be, it merchandise, or money. I planned on going to worlds no matter where it was based on the the word of the 2012 worlds. To change it and no information put out there on any websites or any replys to messages sent, I was under the assumption of nothing but a trophy. I agree they shouldnt pay out the field beyond three players unless the field is over twenty people. A good players pack will compensate that loss/ entry fee is agreed. I am glad they posted that top players will recieve more than a trophy and a players pack. Oh and by the way I sure hope this Kansas rude representation is fixed by the time you have visitors in July. You guys are super sensitive to others compliants and concerns. To tell me to stay at home if I don't like the changes is pretty childish. This was a place to show and voice a lot of peoples concerns and give solutions or information to them. We are all in this for the love of the game. I grew up if you worked harder and became better you had the chance of winning. This everyone is a winner mentality and not keeping score is a joke. This is not a beer round people. There are a lot of tournaments out there that I could attend. I choose to go to the worlds. Help make my stay welcoming. Thats what a host town does.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyBear View Post

Sorry but Am worlds isn't the biggest event. Bowling Green is.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto View Post
I think that is the most sensible solution. You play to place and prove your ready to move up. I have only been playing for two years and I wanted to make this my one and only am Tourney. Yes I am a girl. Not much competition around here. That being said I want more than a trophy. trophies are for kids. I want something i get use out of be, it merchandise, or money. I planned on going to worlds no matter where it was based on the the word of the 2012 worlds. To change it and no information put out there on any websites or any replys to messages sent, I was under the assumption of nothing but a trophy. I agree they shouldnt pay out the field beyond three players unless the field is over twenty people. A good players pack will compensate that loss/ entry fee is agreed. I am glad they posted that top players will recieve more than a trophy and a players pack. Oh and by the way I sure hope this Kansas rude representation is fixed by the time you have visitors in July. You guys are super sensitive to others compliants and concerns. To tell me to stay at home if I don't like the changes is pretty childish. This was a place to show and voice a lot of peoples concerns and give solutions or information to them. We are all in this for the love of the game. I grew up if you worked harder and became better you had the chance of winning. This everyone is a winner mentality and not keeping score is a joke. This is not a beer round people. There are a lot of tournaments out there that I could attend. I choose to go to the worlds. Help make my stay welcoming. Thats what a host town does.
You are exactly right. It's not a beer round. If I'm going to burn some annual vacation to go play the courses, then burn some more to compete on them, and be out of pocket a grand or more in the process, with no realistic expectation of being able to win anything at all, and without even being allowed to drink a beer while I play, I might as well go play pro worlds.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:27 PM

This will be our 8th worlds. I am curious to see how this plays out. It's nice to get a sweet players pack. I think Tulsa had the best players pack so far for us. I'll take a nice polo over a t-shirt anyday. There should still be plenty of Worlds merch to win and purchase. No matter what the deal is we are coming and hope it's the best experience ever. How often do you get a chance to win a world championship.

What is the entry fee this year?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papparoc View Post
What is the entry fee this year?
This is among the specifics not yet known. Last year it varied depending on division (jrs were less), but I paid $115.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:49 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
As a long time TD, I have thought it odd to be calling names for 15th place in a 30 player field. I think moving toward a lower percentage of payout in AM Divisions is just fine.
THIS - Trophy only is the way it should be. Great player packs for all and then COMPETE to win...not to walk away with more plastic.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Stengele View Post
THIS - Trophy only is the way it should be. Great player packs for all and then COMPETE to win...not to walk away with more plastic.
I agree with this.

And like someone else said about AM Worlds, a tournament with 500+ players; why should I receive some sort of prize for finishing 200th place?

Honestly, I'd feel silly accepting a prize if I didn't even finish in the top 50 at a tournament that big. Honestly, 50/500 is 10%. If I don't finish in Top 10%, why would I deserve a prize?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 95
Some skewed numbers being thrown around.... We will not have a 500 person division.

That said.... This really will bed a great event... Can't wait to see you all in E-town..

Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allurex View Post
I agree with this.

And like someone else said about AM Worlds, a tournament with 500+ players; why should I receive some sort of prize for finishing 200th place?

Honestly, I'd feel silly accepting a prize if I didn't even finish in the top 50 at a tournament that big. Honestly, 50/500 is 10%. If I don't finish in Top 10%, why would I deserve a prize?
If you accept the premise that Ams are playing for prizes, and that disc golf tournaments are something like organized gambling for entries---

Then there's some philosophical rationale for paying out to 50%, or at least close to it. When you finish in the top half, you've beat more people than you lost to. You have a winning record. If you're a gambler and you win more than you lose, even slightly, you'll walk out ahead.

Of course, the practical rationale is that lowering the prize-winning threshhold brings more players in, which increases the entire prize pool; and TDs want people to attend their tournaments.