Old 09-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Had our Ace Race this past Saturday and it was fun! No one in our group even hit metal but we had some good shots. This older guy in our group had the weirdest throw I've ever seen and he said he's been playing for 30 years. We asked him about his throw a few times because it was so strange, he whipped his arm around from his side/behind himself. It was interesting. But anyway...

There was only 1 ace in the whole event and just a few metal hits. The same guy that aced then proceeded to make it into the basket on the CTP contest. It was unbelievable. I was really hoping to have a shot at CTP but all our hopes were dashed away quite quickly.

I rather like the Ace Race disc so far. I think it's somewhat comparable to my Xpress. Although we got there late and got really light discs (mine are 153 and 160) so I wonder how the heavier ones fly. It's pretty nice to have something you can chuck without too much effort, though. My dog likes it!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earic02 View Post
I'm hoping we get a good variety for our October 19th Ace Race!!

We're gonna need quite a few:
http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...3/registration
Its going to be great Cannot wait for this
Old 09-19-2013, 09:16 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
Had our Ace Race this past Saturday and it was fun! No one in our group even hit metal but we had some good shots. This older guy in our group had the weirdest throw I've ever seen and he said he's been playing for 30 years. We asked him about his throw a few times because it was so strange, he whipped his arm around from his side/behind himself. It was interesting. But anyway...

There was only 1 ace in the whole event and just a few metal hits. The same guy that aced then proceeded to make it into the basket on the CTP contest. It was unbelievable. I was really hoping to have a shot at CTP but all our hopes were dashed away quite quickly.

I rather like the Ace Race disc so far. I think it's somewhat comparable to my Xpress. Although we got there late and got really light discs (mine are 153 and 160) so I wonder how the heavier ones fly. It's pretty nice to have something you can chuck without too much effort, though. My dog likes it!

Out of curiosity, what were the hole lengths at your ace race, and how many players were there? It's always a little disappointing when only a small number of aces are hit, especially when it's because the course is set up by someone who can't bear to make 100' shots that everyone has a chance at. The most fun ace races I've played in are the ones where the winners get 3-6 aces and just about everyone has an ace or a couple metal hits.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
...Mash beat me to it....
Old 09-19-2013, 10:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 78
Two days 'til the Altoona, PA A.R.!!!! I am psyched about it.

I'm camping out with my daughter tomorrow night and have to get up early... but it's all good. A great evening with her and then a great day of dg on Saturday. Good times!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 172
Totally in agreement that shortened courses and more Aces/metal for all is the way to go for an Ace Race.

That said, I think many of the people who don't like shortened Ace Race courses because "it's not real disc golf" would be happier playing in one of Vibram's Birdie Bashes because you can actually play a real course and still get lots of scoring for all:

Metal hit: 1 point
Birdie: 2 points
Eagle or Ace: 5 points
Par or greater : no points

Similar deal in that you get 2 discs and some stuff for $25, but you get to putt out and the discs are your choice of production discs.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-19-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Out of curiosity, what were the hole lengths at your ace race, and how many players were there? It's always a little disappointing when only a small number of aces are hit, especially when it's because the course is set up by someone who can't bear to make 100' shots that everyone has a chance at. The most fun ace races I've played in are the ones where the winners get 3-6 aces and just about everyone has an ace or a couple metal hits.
They were kind of all over the place but I bet the average hole length was probably about 150-180 range. Honestly I think many were more like 200 feet which is why we didn't have many hits. I thought the distances were pretty good for the disc but it was still tough.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:45 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
They were kind of all over the place but I bet the average hole length was probably about 150-180 range. Honestly I think many were more like 200 feet which is why we didn't have many hits. I thought the distances were pretty good for the disc but it was still tough.
It's no supposed to be tough. A set up like that makes it so only already skilled players have any chance. If kids or new players were there, they probably weren't even able to reach many of the holes, and that's not going to get them excited about coming out to other events. If you give them a chance on most holes, they still might not win but they're going to have a lot more fun and that's really what the ace race is supposed to be about.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
It's no supposed to be tough. A set up like that makes it so only already skilled players have any chance. If kids or new players were there, they probably weren't even able to reach many of the holes, and that's not going to get them excited about coming out to other events. If you give them a chance on most holes, they still might not win but they're going to have a lot more fun and that's really what the ace race is supposed to be about.
Yea... Well, the course it was at is not very good (in my opinion, please don't hate me, Columbus natives) and there is a MUCH better course just across the way (Simsbury). Although the shortened holes make the course design inconsequential there were still some really tough shots with some distance and/or through trees. I was sure that one of us would hit metal but we only got near misses. I hope that next year they'll have it at a nicer course and maybe give us some easier shots. I wanted that new bag of discs! The hot pink Buzzz looked so sexy.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 28
My ace race is in 8 days.
Just added a sweet prize.

discgolfcenter.com (who is already throwing me a $35 and $15 gift certificate for prizes) Just gave me a 45% discount on a new Lattitude 64 Pro Bag to give away that day.