Old 09-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
The AR in Norman this year was ... less great than years past. Good turnout, no ancillary stuff (CTP, Ring of Fire, Raffle, etc.) and we were allowed to pick our own groups (4 people min, 8 max though that was largely ignored). Went quick with only 19 holes per round (of which there were two). I though we had a decent mix of hole lengths, but it tended closer to a 150'+ average. Some blind, some tunnel, some open. We had one ace and one metal in my group of 5 and when we left the TD was pretty sure one ace+one metal would take the prize pack.

That being said, this event was still fun even if it was a last minute venue and date change (due to the destruction of Little River Park in the May tornado and conflict with Jeremy Martin Memorial Tournament, respectively). It was a little refreshing to be finished with some of my Saturday still left!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
Yea... Well, the course it was at is not very good (in my opinion, please don't hate me, Columbus natives) and there is a MUCH better course just across the way (Simsbury). Although the shortened holes make the course design inconsequential there were still some really tough shots with some distance and/or through trees. I was sure that one of us would hit metal but we only got near misses. I hope that next year they'll have it at a nicer course and maybe give us some easier shots. I wanted that new bag of discs! The hot pink Buzzz looked so sexy.

Simsbury may be a nicer course, but for an Ace Race it's considerably more challenging. I don't know who you think "they" are but if you want it at a different course then step up and TD one at a different course.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 73
Highland Park in Altoona, PA

Played in the A.R. in Altoona today. Got to meet jblough from DGCR, who happened to be the T.D. Also got to meet longtime Altoona disc golfer Eric Keim. Both were really good guys and I was happy to get to meet them finally.

If there were 2nd and 3rd place finishes in an Ace Race, I would have tied for 3rd with two metal hits. One guy had 3 metals and the winner had one ace. (Correct me if I'm wrong j.) We then had three rounds of "Ring of Fire." I was fortunate enough to win the 2nd round.

Here's my swag from the tourney. The A.R. stuff you've seen before. But check out the nice Buzzz that I won for the R.O.F.! Pretty sweet with the local club stamp. I'm not sure if I'm going to throw it yet or not. It's awfully pretty! And the grey looking A.R. disc is actually one of the purple ones, btw. It was the one I used in the round. Interesing disc that I'll have to check out in the field sometime.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Simsbury may be a nicer course, but for an Ace Race it's considerably more challenging. I don't know who you think "they" are but if you want it at a different course then step up and TD one at a different course.
I think it would have been great for an ace race, there are a lot of good shots on that course and I think it would have been fun. Well now that I have gotten to thinking about it maybe next year I will go ahead and organize this myself. I'll even help make the trophy
Old 09-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 35
Just curious if anyone knew how hard and fast the 30 mile minimum between events is? I'm not really ticked off but a little annoyed that Discraft allowed another AR within about 25 miles or so of mine - and I signed up for mine long before I found out about the other one. If we were a large metro area like Ann Arbor, Chicago burbs or something like that it would not be a big deal but this is Berrien County, Michigan. Not a real heavily populated area. We bought the minimum number of packs and *hopefully* they will all be sold otherwise you are going to see me starting up a thread in the Marketplace. If it weren't for Lake Townships AR we certainly would have sold a lot more...but oh well. Too late now.

I'll remember that for next year.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Eagle Member

I wonder if they allowed the Lake Township AR because the fella running it is a VENDOR.

Not mad at the vendor...just irritated with Discraft is all.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Just curious if anyone knew how hard and fast the 30 mile minimum between events is? I'm not really ticked off but a little annoyed that Discraft allowed another AR within about 25 miles or so of mine - and I signed up for mine long before I found out about the other one. If we were a large metro area like Ann Arbor, Chicago burbs or something like that it would not be a big deal but this is Berrien County, Michigan. Not a real heavily populated area. We bought the minimum number of packs and *hopefully* they will all be sold otherwise you are going to see me starting up a thread in the Marketplace. If it weren't for Lake Townships AR we certainly would have sold a lot more...but oh well. Too late now.

I'll remember that for next year.
We had one that was about 20 - 25 miles from our AR in Horicon, WI. Discraft had the TD from the other AR contact us via email to get our permission to let them hold their event, since we had registered first.

We gave them permission, and it was fine for everyone.

Last edited by HeavyCritters; 09-22-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Fact checking.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCritters View Post
We had one that was about 20 - 25 miles from our AR in Horicon, WI. Discraft had the TD from the other AR contact us via email to get our permission to let them hold their event, since we had registered first.

We gave them permission, and it was fine for everyone.
I was never asked unfortunately.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 90
Not cool.

You might want to send Discraft an email as a heads up for next year.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 1
From Discraft's Ace Race "TD Info" page.

Quote:
Q: There is already an Ace Race scheduled in my area. Can I still run one?

A: Possibly. We typically prefer a 30-mile buffer between potentially competing events, but some exceptions are made in more heavily populated areas. Previously scheduled events receive priority. Even with Discraft approval, you will most likely have to also obtain approval from the first event's TD. If that fails, Discraft reserves the right to defer to the initially scheduled event, and may request location changes to the second event, or to deny that event from participating.
There should have been better communication. Sorry that happened to you Dave.