Disc Golf Store
Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Under Armour Backpack

OK, so my Under Armour Innovate backpack showed up! I couldn't help but start messing around. Here's what I've come up with to start.

First off, I love this bag. It is, by far, my favorite DIY bag I've converted. I just wanted to get that out of the way.

There are so many ways to go, I'm sure I'll tinker with other set-ups. But let's just go with my initial choice. The first thing is the lower sneaker compartment has a zipper divider from the top. So you can open up the whole bag, or build a small frame for the lower compartment and still put the discs on top. I opted to open up the whole bag and ignore the lower opening for now. I'll tell you why. The Innova U-channel divider fits right in. I dropped a plate of Plexiglass on the bottom (picture 1) and set the U-channel right on top. The bag also has inside pockets (picture 2) on either side. Since the discs are going in, they don't really serve much purpose. I actually put a couple smaller Plexiglass plates in there for side support (like a Grip). The front flap folds under, although it has to be zipped up a bit. I'll be using some heavy duty safety pins to hold the zippers from falling down too low.

As you can see (picture 3), the bag stands and everything is sized great. I have 16 in the main compartment, though I know I could fit a couple more if I wanted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_001128.jpg (61.5 KB, 1042 views)
File Type: jpg WP_001129.jpg (59.4 KB, 885 views)
File Type: jpg WP_001130.jpg (57.2 KB, 1275 views)
Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Onto the putters! I put another Plexiglass plate in the back laptop compartment, although it doesn't need it to stand. The reason why I put it in there is because I am going to attach some pockets to the top. Ta-da! Putter quiver (picture 1). You'll also be excited to know the side pockets and outer mesh pockets are also wide enough for discs! (picture 2 and 3) I'm not sure how durable the bag is yet, so I'm not going crazy with pushing the limits. I do know that the mesh pockets also fit a 32 oz. Nalgene easily enough (though no insulation).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_001131.jpg (49.3 KB, 827 views)
File Type: jpg WP_001132.jpg (74.1 KB, 713 views)
File Type: jpg WP_001134.jpg (66.5 KB, 705 views)

Last edited by throwfromthewoods; 03-08-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

The one side has a pocket that you can put stuff behind, and also has a second zippered pocket in the front (picture 1). The other side pocket is chock full of little pockets, and also a key clip! (picture 2) The straps are also pretty comfortable, and come with a sternum strap (picture 3). The back is very well padded.

You can also avoid using the back laptop compartment for putters and it fits a jacket nicely. The one major con of this bag seems to be its weather resistance. The bottom would need to be plasi-dipped for any decent protection from moisture, and the top is ventilated (it's made to be a training/gym bag).

Overall I'm extremely happy with this bag. It rides high and light. It has a lot of different options to fit your own style. I look forward to taking it out on the course and trying some new configurations. Once I get some time out with it, I'll be sure to report how it holds up to course play. I'll also be getting some zipper pulls and beads in a safety orange/grey scheme to really make the bag pop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_001135.jpg (101.6 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg WP_001137.jpg (74.1 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg WP_001139.jpg (50.9 KB, 404 views)
Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwfromthewoods View Post
The one side has a pocket that you can put stuff behind, and also has a second zippered pocket in the front (picture 1). The other side pocket is chock full of little pockets, and also a key clip! (picture 2) The straps are also pretty comfortable, and come with a sternum strap (picture 3). The back is very well padded.

You can also avoid using the back laptop compartment for putters and it fits a jacket nicely. The one major con of this bag seems to be its weather resistance. The bottom would need to be plasi-dipped for any decent protection from moisture, and the top is ventilated (it's made to be a training/gym bag).

Overall I'm extremely happy with this bag. It rides high and light. It has a lot of different options to fit your own style. I look forward to taking it out on the course and trying some new configurations. Once I get some time out with it, I'll be sure to report how it holds up to course play. I'll also be getting some zipper pulls and beads in a safety orange/grey scheme to really make the bag pop.
So now the real question, what is the comparison between the UA and the Cabela XPG?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 18
Very cool. Thanks for the info.
Did you find it less than $100 anywhere? It certainly looks much better than any other DIY backpack I've seen, but at a steeper cost too
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 22
I have that bag. I have gym clothes and shoes in it though. Maybe ill switch it up been looking to buy a bag rhis tear and that looks great!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 108
Very cool DIY job on that bag, Throw! But man, the material just doesn't look like it can hold a candle to the Cabela's DIY bag. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

I have punished the SH** out my Cabela's bag (winter disc at least 3 times/week) and it still basically looks brand new. I don't know if that UA bag could handle that.

I might consider grabbing and modding this UA bag for a "Summer Only" bag, but would be a bit nervous playing in winter conditions for 5 - 6 months.

Overall though, nice mod!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfanatic7 View Post
So now the real question, what is the comparison between the UA and the Cabela XPG?
Which model XPG bag?
Has anyone looked into REI bags? I have some member credit to use up
Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleC8601 View Post
Very cool. Thanks for the info.
Did you find it less than $100 anywhere? It certainly looks much better than any other DIY backpack I've seen, but at a steeper cost too
$59.99
http://www.ebags.com/product/under-a...ackpack/205143

I am curious what happens with the sneaker compartment?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
Which model XPG bag?
Has anyone looked into REI bags? I have some member credit to use up
Here's the XPG bag link: http://is.gd/H4INI1

And here's the DGCR XPG Mod link: http://is.gd/jbRjkU

I love my Cabela's backpack bag. It's worth every penny of the $70 (including mods) that I spent on it.