Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
SW22 open to suggestions...

SW22 open to suggestions, comments, questions...
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 189
Throwing Style: RHBH
You and I need to get out and play a round sometime!

We have a few of the same issues (minor, but still issues I think)

1. Hard to tell on all the shots because of angles, but I think you're a peaker....ie you are following your shots with your eyes and your head which I didn't think was that big of a deal, but after sometime with feldy (where he about broke my neck by grabbing my head on a no step) I realized it is. He doesn't look at his shot till his left shoulder comes through and the disc is 100+ ft already down the fairway. Or atleast thats what he told me. I've been working on this for a while....watching video yada yada of myself and I noticed that when I "peak" my head moving upward gives me a little bit of forward motion too early (ie right about when the disc is at my right pec).

2. Your left arm at reach back, Is almost being used as a counter weight. ie.....kind of high up in the air. You do compensate well for it when you start to pull through, but I think you could be a bit tighter on your reachback.

Thats my two cents, but honestly we are pretty similar.....I should send you a video of myself and maybe you can see what I'm talking about.

P.S. Cool touch with the slow mo rewind!....Do you have any angles from the front side view? (perpendicular to the tee?) Its easier to see that "peaking" thing I'm referring to.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 213
You should have just PM'd this to garublador because there are very few people who will notice something you dont.

I have never seen you get airborn in you X step in person. Do you think that hurts or helps your momentum?

great pull at 1:47

Last edited by prerube; 03-08-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 57
I call video idea plagiarism! Idea totally stolen from my vid.

I have no other problems or complaints
Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 56
I'd agree with Bio on the peeking. Seemed like your upper body opened a bit quickly.

Your inward pull starts pretty low.

You look hunched over to me; I think if you kept a straighter spine and bent more forward from the hips you'd get your weight over the disc better.

It looks like you could get more momentum from your x-step if you hopped more laterally (less vertically).

On the left arm: GG does it too. I think it's to improve upper body acceleration. A lot of european players also do it, I believe. Jussi does.

Last edited by Dan Ensor; 03-08-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Sophomore

If Karma works I think we should have you throwing about 1400' by September.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 189
FWIW....GG does do that with his arm, but he press away with the left arm instead of through at the hit....Avery does this as well.....Looks weird in slo mo. I think they do this with the arm to sort of press off with their lats. Definitely unique. Avery also rotates completely around his plant (almost looks like his right knee is going to snap in two). I wonder if what GG and Avery do with their left arm is something that only translates well to distance rather than accuracy (Don't get me wrong they are great golfers as well as long throwers, but I don't see a lot of guys have that sort of movement with their left arms).....who knows?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Sophomore

In that video, the left arm never got as close to the body as those throwers, but it could just be the fluffy jacket? Regardless, when you're accelerating, get your left arm as close to the body as possible ...
Old 03-08-2013, 11:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicRib View Post
You and I need to get out and play a round sometime!

We have a few of the same issues (minor, but still issues I think)

1. Hard to tell on all the shots because of angles, but I think you're a peaker....ie you are following your shots with your eyes and your head which I didn't think was that big of a deal, but after sometime with feldy (where he about broke my neck by grabbing my head on a no step) I realized it is. He doesn't look at his shot till his left shoulder comes through and the disc is 100+ ft already down the fairway. Or atleast thats what he told me. I've been working on this for a while....watching video yada yada of myself and I noticed that when I "peak" my head moving upward gives me a little bit of forward motion too early (ie right about when the disc is at my right pec).

2. Your left arm at reach back, Is almost being used as a counter weight. ie.....kind of high up in the air. You do compensate well for it when you start to pull through, but I think you could be a bit tighter on your reachback.

Thats my two cents, but honestly we are pretty similar.....I should send you a video of myself and maybe you can see what I'm talking about.

P.S. Cool touch with the slow mo rewind!....Do you have any angles from the front side view? (perpendicular to the tee?) Its easier to see that "peaking" thing I'm referring to.
Thanks! I don't have any recent side view shots.
1. I have neck issues and have played around with anchoring the head more before, but that causes decrease in accuracy and my neck to act up, it's like more whiplash. I think anchoring the head more is ok for distance shots, I know Wiggins buries his head on his distance shots.
2. I'm pretty loose in the backswing. I'll try keeping my left arm tighter on reachback and see what happens.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
You should have just PM'd this to garublador because there are very few people who will notice something you dont.

I have never seen you get airborn in you X step in person. Do you think that hurts or helps your momentum?

great pull at 1:47
IIRC garu has said he's not good at video analysis, and I'm interested in hearing multiple opinions as well.

I find it easier to pivot the hips back getting airborne. I'm fairly sure it helps momentum.

Thanks!