Disc Golf Store
Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Crit me form.

I've been playing about 8 months now. In this clip I'm throwing a 169 z buzzz, a 172 Stalker, and a 169 z Avenger. I can get the buzzz and stalker out around 250 or so. The Avenger I can get out to 300-320. Decent control. If I start facing my target (instead of sideways) I can add a bit of distance but my accuracy goes to crap.

I recently got a Prodity D4 and I've tossed that one about 330-350 on rare occasions.

Thanks for any help and insight you guys can give.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 189
You are quite the lunger, meaning your balance is very off when you pull through which is causing you to fall forward dramatically. Essentially you are just muscling the disc. Also your hips are already open when you plant. Your right butt cheek should be pointed directly at the target at full reach back and at the plant. When you plant, that right leg should be out at a 30degree angle (this will get your hips loaded). Also you are turning on your heel way to early, and you have a very deliberate and exaggerated turn of the heel. Your heel rotation should happen because there is nothing else you can do with it, not because you are trying to turn it purposefully. The heel turn is a result of a proper plant with a proper weight shift.

Throw the run up out of the mix for a while and work on throwing from a stand still or a one step. Crawl before you walk....

Your centers of gravity (nose and belly button) should be stacked the entire duration of your throw. Yours are stacked in the beginning, but at the end (because of the lunging) you are not stacked.

check these out and notice how none of these guys lunge forward after they throw......they are almost standing straight up after release and full rotation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQzVIX4cVs

Also I think you are rounding a bit, but its hard to tell how much from that angle.....try to get an angle shot from behind if possible......
Old 03-12-2013, 01:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 82
The critics here usually have to pound "weight forward" into people's heads, but you are definitely weight forward. Still, it seems like you are off balance throughout the throw. Compare to Jeremy Koling, for example. See how upright he is, with just the right amount of weight forward?

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
That's some wild balance and posture. It's gonna feel quite different getting your hips into it. This should help in your journey:

Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 17
You look like you learned to throw by reading a book without ever actually trying it as you went (not trying to be mean, just an observation). Everything you're doing is kind of right, but it looks unnatural, like you have to think about every movement as you do it (believe me, I know the feeling). Everything is exaggerated and herky-jerky. Try to get loose, smooth, and balanced while following the advice others have given you.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Bionicrib - I see and understand a lot of what you and everyone are saying but i don't understand what you mean when you say my right leg should be out to 30 degrees.

When comparing the video you linked to it seems like my stance is too narrow when I plant and I get way over my plant foot and too far forward and out of balance too fast.

You're dead right on the heel plant. It's a very conscious thing. When I throw I think pull disk to chest, roll to heel, rip and pinch the disc hard.

I also sometimes get some sharp hip pain in my right hip. I bet it's all that weight over and pushing my plant foot and that side of my hip.

Jen - Thanks for the video. When I throw I actually feel like I'm too up right and not in an athletic position but I can see how balanced Koling is in the video and not falling forward.

Sidewinder22 - These golf videos are very helpful. The idea of balance and keeping myself stacked properly might be my biggest issue.

Renoob - I liked you post a lot. You hit the nail right on the hand. I read about how to throw then I over exaggerate the motions like heel turn, weight forward, etc. Loose, smooth and balanced need to be my new mantra. I'm going to do some field practice after work today and try to work on everyone's suggestions. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

And everyone says to get your hips into it and I don't understand how to do that. It feels like if I activate my hips first I do it when I'm at full reach back and the explosion starts there instead of when the disc is at my right pec. I've practice a drill where I'm at full reach back and then snap my hips around. I get awesome snap with the towel drill when I do this but like I said it feels like I'm starting to actively pull my disc from my full reach back. If I go slow and wait to activate my hips when I get into the right peck position they're already open and I can't get the hip snap/rotation.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfowler View Post
And everyone says to get your hips into it and I don't understand how to do that. It feels like if I activate my hips first I do it when I'm at full reach back and the explosion starts there instead of when the disc is at my right pec. I've practice a drill where I'm at full reach back and then snap my hips around. I get awesome snap with the towel drill when I do this but like I said it feels like I'm starting to actively pull my disc from my full reach back. If I go slow and wait to activate my hips when I get into the right peck position they're already open and I can't get the hip snap/rotation.
standstill with your arms at your side limp, and twist your body like you would in a throw THROUGH your core (hips stomach back) and you will notice your arms actually fling around like they would you were throwing a disc-- Lead with that power and let your arms become levers where the inertia will naturally cause the disc to "snap out" vs trying to MAKE it come out. You can feel the difference big time when you put your core into the throw and let it do most of the work. Think of it like a figure skater doing their 100000 spins in a row, power doesn't come from the arms its all in their core. .
Old 03-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Though the things you guys have posted and really study the clips I've discovered some more reasons of why my balance is so out of whack. I start my reach back way, way to early and I reach back so far that at the very start of my throw I've already got 100% of my weight leaned back. So, then when I pull forward I end up lunging forward and up onto my plant foot.

I started trying to keep my weight more even to slightly back instead of loading the chamber so early and so hard. I was more akin to a sling shot from the waist down.

I need something to keep my weight more balanced. I stumbled across this.

Wow.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...=24009#p379170

By holding my disc in front of me until halfway into my plant causes me to keep my weight more balanced and that changed everything. I just threw my buzzz almost 300 feet and it was all core/hip whip. I'm not even sure if I got any wrist snap or not. It felt much more powerful then my normal throw and a lot smoother...quicker.

I'll need to do a lot of work to get the timing of my arm and wrist to follow it and I had a good bit of OAT or grip lock. My discs kept coming out to the right but I can't believe the difference this small thing seems to have made.

Can't wait to get some field practice. Thanks guys and I'll post some updates as I go and take some more video once I've practiced it some more. (Hopefully, it's not a mirage or fluke)

Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
The force is strong with this one. Should feel more sling shot from toe to finger. Now go read snap 2009 and the closed shoulder drill, and the secret technique.