Disc Golf Store
Old 02-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Trouble Relating (not sure if this belongs in VIP/the WC)

From time to time I get worked up/frustrated/short tempered with some of the stuff on here, just like any other forum. It happens. Everyone goes from n00b to not-so-noob in every aspect of life - hobbies included.

I know the more experienced throwers here can personally identify with a true flippy disc hyzer (still goes left RHBH but not until it reaches the apex for the most part, required power level successfully reached or surpassed) and the like. Same goes for intentional torque, proper usage of nose angle (nose up specifically) and other similar aspects of the game.

How do you guys explain more simple techniques to others and successfully disregard your true level of knowledge? How do you NOT let your excess knowledge get the better of you? I feel as though I've done a decent job of it since I joined DG forums about 4 years ago, but nobody is perfect (me especially). I can elaborate if anybody wants further info, otherwise any feedback would be great!
Old 02-11-2014, 01:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 99
I just correct misinformation like some know-it-all a-hole.

I struggle with this on the course, I hate it when somebody asks me how I throw so well b/c the answer is a lot of nerdy DG technique jargon that will bore to tears anybody that doesn't read DGR.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:33 AM

^^I didn't specify in the OP but on the course is more what I was referring to - hence my threadkiller title here (I didn't buy it, but I did call myself one).

OP P.S. If you think my grammar is incorrect [here or any other thread] just read it like Christopher Walken would
Old 02-11-2014, 01:47 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
If someone totally new to dg asks me how to throw better, I usually just give them enough info to get them throwing flat. Further instructions revolve around the search function on you tube.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 73
explain it to them like their five

start with my grammer haha.

or just nerd out on it. hell i can rant to people for hours about dg or guitars.

i also could not stand all the n00bz on reddit. i had to unsubscribe to /r/discgolf every comment i wanted to post would just be me being a complete d-head. they aint one of us

here the n00b has its own section, unlike reddit where it was 99% n00b material. here its easy to avoid for the most part. but it does get old seeing the same stupid shi. just gotta correct the idiots, we were there at one time and some of us still are.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:02 AM

I by no means want to offend you but I'm looking at >1% not 90%+ as far as the people I'm referring to. They know who they are. There's nearly 46,000 members here now, let alone every other DG related forum

Love Reddit
Old 02-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 19
Every person is unique in how they learn and comprehend, and they all have different aspirations. If I'm introducing a new player I likely have an idea of the type of instruction they'll benefit from if I've known them a while and try to tailor it that way. If a random asks on the course, well that's different. I have actually asked, "Do you want me to nerd out and get a bit technical, or do you just want a couple simple points to get started?" Otherwise you just have to feel it out.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:37 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 57
I have been helping a buddy get started over the past several months. He doesn't play much (maybe once or twice a month), so each time I see him is a learning/teaching experience.

So far I've suggested that he stop trying to run up and simply do a stand-and-deliver drive, or a one-step drive. Next was getting him to pull straight across his chest rather than arcing his arm around. But something that I hadn't even thought of was when he asked me how I knew when to "let go" of the disc on a drive. So we've covered the idea that you never actually let go of the disc, but rather let it rip from your hand.

Just these basic points have been plenty for him to concentrate on, and I've decided not to introduce any additional ideas until he is comfortable with these. IMO simple is better unless you are dealing with a maniac who is playing every day, improving quickly, and hungry for as much information as you can give them.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
you can only do so much in a little amount of time.

ziiii baziiiics meng. the rest is only a worry for peeps like us'

Old 02-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 27
I also try and get them throwing flat via grip adjustments, throwing technique and follow through...I also recommend them to throw under-stable discs and tell them if they keep throwing flat and can begin to make the disc flip then they are going in the right direction for improvement. Later on I'll touch base if I see them and see how things are going. Too many players, newbs or not, try and make discs do stuff instead of letting the disc work for them.