Disc Golf Store
Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Add thumber, subtract strokes.......

I have been working on , or trying to , shaping stuff to the right. I haven't been able to get consistent right turning shots that I trust and it's costing me strokes. I can't hold the anny line, it turns and burns, glides out a mile if it holds...... Just not content with any anny/turnover shots. So I turned to the thumber. It's a more forgiving shot, and not as hard on the arm as some people claim. If your going for Max d , I guess it could be harmful? Any way , I have found it to be more consistent and reliable. I was able to improve my home course best by two, in 15-20 mph winds and can say that the thumber saved me at least 3 shots in the round.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by banknwank View Post
I have been working on , or trying to , shaping stuff to the right. I haven't been able to get consistent right turning shots that I trust and it's costing me strokes. I can't hold the anny line, it turns and burns, glides out a mile if it holds...... Just not content with any anny/turnover shots. So I turned to the thumber. It's a more forgiving shot, and not as hard on the arm as some people claim. If your going for Max d , I guess it could be harmful? Any way , I have found it to be more consistent and reliable. I was able to improve my home course best by two, in 15-20 mph winds and can say that the thumber saved me at least 3 shots in the round.
Shhhh! Don't tell anyone the secret!
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 33
Wanna go right? Try a 167g Lat64 Diamond or a Mamba. Or work on your flick.

Thumbers are useful though, too.
Birdie Member

I am pretty confident with every kind of shot except sidearms, and mainly thumbers and tommys.
Anyway I really would like if someone would post a good video tutorial to help guys like me out.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 27
I learned this past summer how to put a Pig on a tommy and finish right. It's a fun line to throw. And since I'm not throwing it at 100% power, I don't feel like I'm straining my shoulder, and its torn labrum which usually flares up on overhand motions.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmers View Post
Wanna go right? Try a 167g Lat64 Diamond or a Mamba. Or work on your flick.

Thumbers are useful though, too.
I have revisited my flick, and not ready to incorporate it into a serious round yet, but it will be my to the right shot vs a turn over. How ever, the thumber is probably the easiest shot to learn and not as sensitive as fh and bh shots. Sure, a perfect shot requires as much perfection as any other throw. But a "good enough " shot is easy to achieve .
Old 01-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Same EXACT reason I started throwing the thumber two months ago. There are 2 holes on my home course that I could not "get" and this helped a ton. I even Eagled one of them today.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndole View Post
I am pretty confident with every kind of shot except sidearms, and mainly thumbers and tommys.
Anyway I really would like if someone would post a good video tutorial to help guys like me out.
Big john has a thumber vid that's shows the shot pretty well........I will see if I can find it again and post the link.

Last edited by banknwank; 01-13-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Eagle Member

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d3nlgbjH6K4

Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
I have revisited my flick, and not ready to incorporate it into a serious round yet, but it will be my to the right shot vs a turn over. How ever, the thumber is probably the easiest shot to learn and not as sensitive as fh and bh shots. Sure, a perfect shot requires as much perfection as any other throw. But a "good enough " shot is easy to achieve .
I've been playing seriously for about six months. There's no reason to listen to anything I have to say. I started as a primarily RHFH player, but was committed to improving my BH because you really can't be complete without at least a passable BH.

I've worked on it. And while I'm nowhere near "good," I'm okay....and improving. That said, understanding the benefits of understable discs, how they work, and how to make them work is what has upped my game.

Not trying to poo-poo thumbers at all -- it's a great tool for your arsenal -- I'm just saying you might want to consider the other aspects because they will undoubtedly prove invaluable to your game. Best of luck, brother!