Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Grip looks like your middle finger pad is not pressed against the rim, but into the flight plate. You want to push the rim out to the target from the finger pad.

Your weight is way back and planting too far forward/open. Your head should get over/near your front foot before the release so you can really whip the lower arm through. You are also tee-rexing/short arming the release with the elbow still majorly bent after release. Just make sure you don't fully extend the elbow before release.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Ha! I was coming in here planning on posting that. Its neat seeing one of my videos making the rounds. It is shameful how low the production quality is - I've been planning for over a year now to get out with someone with a better camera and do a better version out in the open field.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 12:52 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHFH
I'll see if I can get a video of me forehanding up soon. I max out around 450 and throw 350 accurately. My max distance driver of choice right now is the D1 but my favorite driver is the Star Boss.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
@Chriswoj. . That was an awesome video that said some things that I haven't been able to get out any other videos. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to trying these things out to gain more distance and consistency with my forehand.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddedcoconut View Post
@Chriswoj. . That was an awesome video that said some things that I haven't been able to get out any other videos. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to trying these things out to gain more distance and consistency with my forehand.
I'm planning on doing some other stuff this summer - I should finally have time (just got the grant money I've spent the past year-plus working toward: grad school is paid for!) and will also do some stuff with the physics presentations I did taking DiscWing's theses and putting them into laymans terms.

I thoroughly enjoy taking things that should be complex and breaking them down so that anyone can enjoy them and learn them (must be why I'll be teaching biology) - I desperately wish I had a better grasp of video editing so that I could put it all online in a more professional format.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Ha! I was coming in here planning on posting that. Its neat seeing one of my videos making the rounds. It is shameful how low the production quality is - I've been planning for over a year now to get out with someone with a better camera and do a better version out in the open field.
This video has been more help than anything for my forehand drives off the tee. Now I am not only not turning my wrist over, but I have a solid routine, I am loose and relaxed, and about 25 percent more power and distance than before, still working on a follow through but thanks Chris! You have definitely helped me become a better player, just need to figure out this constant action called putting lol. The most important element of this vid was the side step run up, it lines everything up perfectly. As long as you pick the right disc, getting consistent, long drives over 300ft is no longer a problem for me.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Where does the rim of the disc rest toward the base of the fingers? In other words, how much of my finger/hand should be inside the rim?

He seems to be throwing from an open stance; is this correct/adviseable?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 PM
* Ace Member *

For me when I am using a power grip forehand my entire finger resting against the rim..there may be a small portion touching the bottom of the flight plate.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Where does the rim of the disc rest toward the base of the fingers? In other words, how much of my finger/hand should be inside the rim?

He seems to be throwing from an open stance; is this correct/adviseable?
I use Avery's split power grip and the rim/wing sits just below my big knuckle toward the thumb. So I'd say the whole fingers is/are under the rim and not much if any hand. I think a common mistake is when players try to jam the wing into the web/base of the thumb joint.

The OP strides too long and opens the hip during the stride. It's kind of a balance issue, or where/why things go wrong. The knee should stay bent and hips squatted during the stride and lead with the side of the foot gliding forward. The front side/stance should be closed on plant for a sidearm delivery and open during the throw. An open plant/stance would be fine for a straight overhand delivery, although the OP is not really doing that right either.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to tarel
you could always cheat and just flex something overstable if you want more d

Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarel View Post
you could always cheat and just flex something overstable if you want more d
even then, he isn't getting the spin he needs to get that extra D, and that is a bad habit to get into, it took me a year and a half to break that habit and learn proper form.