Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepmart View Post
I'm not trying to be a lightning rod (trust me, that not fun on this site), but has Brinster earned a signature disc? Is he more than a regional guy? The reason I am asking is that I've seen him play in person (only a few different tournaments) and on discplanet.tv as well and although he is extremely good, is he considered elite? Elite enough to warrant a sig disc.
He's certainly a high quality player. Only problem is no NT or Major victories. However he does manage some very strong finishes (3rd at the '10 USDGC), and ranks in the top ten (or maybe 15) in rating.

Elite? no. Worth a signature disc to support him on tour? Yeah, probably.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 1
I think with the whole prodigy thing the other companies are forced to step up their support.
I don't think they want to risk losing half their pros again next January
Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
The thing for me is, how many NT or majors does he even play per year and what are his finishes when he does play in those events where all the so called elite players are at?

2012 I will use as an example
Tied for 14 at the memorial with Jeremy Koling, Philo Brathwaite and Derek Billings so not too great.
3rd place Kansas City wide open-very impressive finish only behind Feldberg and Schusterick
6th Beaver state fling-impressive finish once again over many top players
DNF the last round at worlds, dont think he was playing too poor outside of 1 rd. Based on his scores I would have guessed his finish in the 10-20 range
5th USDGC-tied with Nikko, beat a host of world class top guys
4th Vibram open-yet again same story right in there with the top tier guys

To me, yes he has not won NT events but it looks like he is consistantly making at least 1-2 final 9's per year at top events. I think if he was playing every single top event he would be put in the same sentence more often with top 10 guys. I personally feel he is every bit as good and consistant as the top few guys and am sure he has the respect from them. If it was a 1 rd event I would put my cash on Brinster over Koling, Jenkins, Ulibarri, Colglazier, McCabe, Schultz, Owens and Climo. I would rate him like Steve Rico that he is always up top but doesnt get the proper respect from the public. Only players I would personally say are better are Wysocki, Leiviska, Schusterick, Doss, McBeth, Locastro and Feldberg.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 33
See my previous post. I think the "T" we see is just "Team star" and this is just a fundraising disc to help out those Team Star members like they have done in the past. Brinster is now on that team.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
btw he is ranked 5th in the world, just sayin'. I get to meet him in a tournament next month too.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
This is my thought too. Since the McPros started as a fundraiser, I'm guessing Innova's looking to take care of some of the non-World Champ pros in the same manner to keep them on tour. Since the post was from the proshop, I'd say they'll be there some time soon.
Thats what I was thinking too. And I would definitely gain alot of respect back of Innova if they actually started taking care of all their best Pros. No reason not to give the a Sig Disc on standard production stuff. Save the special blend type stuff for the World/USDGC Champs.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by timj5304 View Post
The thing for me is, how many NT or majors does he even play per year and what are his finishes when he does play in those events where all the so called elite players are at?

2012 I will use as an example
Tied for 14 at the memorial with Jeremy Koling, Philo Brathwaite and Derek Billings so not too great.
3rd place Kansas City wide open-very impressive finish only behind Feldberg and Schusterick
6th Beaver state fling-impressive finish once again over many top players
DNF the last round at worlds, dont think he was playing too poor outside of 1 rd. Based on his scores I would have guessed his finish in the 10-20 range
5th USDGC-tied with Nikko, beat a host of world class top guys
4th Vibram open-yet again same story right in there with the top tier guys

To me, yes he has not won NT events but it looks like he is consistantly making at least 1-2 final 9's per year at top events. I think if he was playing every single top event he would be put in the same sentence more often with top 10 guys. I personally feel he is every bit as good and consistant as the top few guys and am sure he has the respect from them. If it was a 1 rd event I would put my cash on Brinster over Koling, Jenkins, Ulibarri, Colglazier, McCabe, Schultz, Owens and Climo. I would rate him like Steve Rico that he is always up top but doesnt get the proper respect from the public. Only players I would personally say are better are Wysocki, Leiviska, Schusterick, Doss, McBeth, Locastro and Feldberg.
Steve was around 10th at the 2012 Worlds in Charlotte up to the last round, but he DNF'd because his wife went into labor with the twins. He got paid at Worlds even with the DNF. I rank Steve right where you have him, and to me that's pretty elite. He's always a contender to win any event and has the best driving form IMO. He's a nice guy too.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by timj5304 View Post
If Brinster actually toured like the rest of these guys he would definitely be Top 10 if not 5. I love watching him play too.
And I disagree with you on the ones marked in red. I would put him on the same level as those two. Maybe better since he doesn't seem to have as bad as head case issues.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
i am pretty sure he throws sentinels as his main mid range

Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
If Brinster actually toured like the rest of these guys he would definitely be Top 10 if not 5. I love watching him play too.
And I disagree with you on the ones marked in red. I would put him on the same level as those two. Maybe better since he doesn't seem to have as bad as head case issues.
Agreed he is at that level, I guess with the year Doss had last year I probably shouldn't be so high on him either as most of the event I named Brinster was many places ahead of Doss. Cale had a mid season to the end of the season last year winning Beaver State Fling and Vibram and being a players cup finalist as well, I can see Nikko being dropped a tad though.