#41  
Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Toro71's Avatar
Toro71 Toro71 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Crown Town, USA
Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I was out distancing the person who introduced me to the game within a month, and 350' took me another month or two to hit consistently. Was using Firebirds as distance drivers too haha.

Now doing it with control? That took time
I need to check your vids, you're, like, a "Natural."

Do you have a speed 15 driver that you carved out of an Oak tree that was split by lightening, by any chance? Maybe carry it in a trombone case?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-15-2013, 12:36 PM
jeverett's Avatar
jeverett jeverett is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene, OR
Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 981
Just remember that GPS devices will be inaccurate at both the tee pad position and the final throw position, so if you're getting +/- 16ft. on a position, that would be +/- 32ft. for actual throw distance. Football fields are great, as are any other kind of open space with good distance markers (that can be seen and measured using something like Google Earth, which will ultimately be a lot more accurate than a GPS device out in the field).
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Mike C's Avatar
Mike C Mike C is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
I need to check your vids, you're, like, a "Natural."

Do you have a speed 15 driver that you carved out of an Oak tree that was split by lightening, by any chance? Maybe carry it in a trombone case?
Hah, just some Quasars, the hipsters Boss. First disc I know for certain I broke 400' with was a Star Teebird. Driving might of come easily but putting sure hasn't. About to go work on that.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Shimmer's Avatar
Shimmer Shimmer is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington, IL
Courses Played: 22
Posts: 268
I was about to hit about 370 consistently within a year of playing 3-4 rounds nearly every day for 6-7 months (yaay the transition from college to the real world). Now after dropping to playing once or twice every week or two maxing at 320-330. For me it is more of a rhythm thing and I'm just not feeling that same smoothness.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM
loki993 loki993 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Holly, Mi
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 818
How far should I be able to throw without an x step? Im still trying to get throwing form down before I work that in.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 PM
xare's Avatar
xare xare is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 22
Posts: 139
300', immediate, with an UltraStar
330' with a Cobra, (3 months)
330' with a Roc, (6 months)
...
330' with a PD (9 years later)

I'm doing it wrong.
(PS: I can throw further... downhill, or in gale force winds, or with lucky rolls, but 330' seems to be my maximum, no matter what disc it is. I can throw 330' with any disc, but no further.)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Exovel's Avatar
Exovel Exovel is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by xare View Post
I'm doing it wrong.
(PS: I can throw further... downhill, or in gale force winds, or with lucky rolls, but 330' seems to be my maximum, no matter what disc it is. I can throw 330' with any disc, but no further.)
This. Same here. The longer I play, the more distance I achieve with my slower discs, but I can't seem to break that 325 barrier consistently with anything. I've been beginning to think it just won't happen... but I know there's gotta be something I can do to make my drivers truly long distance compared to everything else... not just a less accurate disc with similar distance.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Uncle Dougie's Avatar
Uncle Dougie Uncle Dougie is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exovel View Post
This. Same here. The longer I play, the more distance I achieve with my slower discs, but I can't seem to break that 325 barrier consistently with anything. I've been beginning to think it just won't happen... but I know there's gotta be something I can do to make my drivers truly long distance compared to everything else... not just a less accurate disc with similar distance.
I seem to be stuck in this bubble as well.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 PM
notroman's Avatar
notroman notroman is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Highland Park, IL
Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by xare View Post
300', immediate, with an UltraStar
330' with a Cobra, (3 months)
330' with a Roc, (6 months)
...
330' with a PD (9 years later)

I'm doing it wrong.
(PS: I can throw further... downhill, or in gale force winds, or with lucky rolls, but 330' seems to be my maximum, no matter what disc it is. I can throw 330' with any disc, but no further.)
Put some videos up of your form. A lot of ultimate guys that I've seen have a habit of not utilizing their lower body in their throw. Ultrastars are very sensitive to arm speed, so as an ultimate player you develop great snap but you don't ever learn use the body to generate power in the throw.
Reply With Quote
 

  #50  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:33 PM
notroman's Avatar
notroman notroman is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Highland Park, IL
Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
How far should I be able to throw without an x step? Im still trying to get throwing form down before I work that in.
I mean, you can always work on getting distance without an x-step. Last year I was throwing over 400 from just a stand still, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't work on an x-step until you throw 400 from a stand still Once you figure out the mechanics and are "hitting" your hit point you can start incorporating footwork and figuring out how it all works together.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.