Old 03-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Question Suggestions for my bag

So, I recently started playing disc golf, and I'm trying to build a good bag. I need some feeback from someone a bit more into the game than I am. Here are my discs. Btw, I'm going for mainly Innova, so keep that in mind!

Putter:
McPro Aviar. I used to throw Darts, but switched it up a few weeks ago. Love it, and I'm waiting for two of the 2014 tour series. If I'm going to change this one, it has to be about the same size, and about the same stability.

I'm looking for a driving putter! Any brand will do! (I flip the McPRo.)

Mid-Ranges:
DX Roc. Started out with this one, and I won't change 'em. They are here to stay. Got four in different stages, though I use the new ones the most. Goes from brand new, to slightly OS, dead straight and slightly US.

Gummy Champion Roc3. I use this one for tunnel shots and if I need something that turns and finishes straight.

Champion Glow Gator. My meat hook. For windy conditions and when I need it to fade hard at shorter distances.

Fairway Drivers:
Champion Teebird. Simply wanted something that goes straight. 300-325 feet.

Champion TL. Use it for the same thing as my Teebird, doesn't really need it to be honest. Easier to flip, though..

Distance Drivers:
Champion/Pro Firebird. Got to use my friends Pro, and I'm waiting for my Champion in the mail. This it my utility disc. I'm using it for anything that can be classified as a "Skill Shot". This is the disk that has saved me the most throws in my bag. And of course hyzer lines, windy conditions etc.

Star Roadrunner. Doesn't really use it as much, but it has come in handy when I need something that I can put some power behind and still have a controllable turn.

Beast. Got a beat in Pro, a Champion, a Star and a Blizzard(flips and dives to the ground.. Might be able to hyzerflip it in some time). As you might understand this has been my favourite driver. Goes at least 375 feet, and can put it on any line.

Icon Cannon. You won't believe what this disc can do. Went from 375 to 425+ when I tried it for the first time. Mine has quite a lot of HST, but it will always come back with a nice, smooth fade at the end.

Pinacle Rampage Technically, this isn't in my bag yet, but it will be as soon as it arrives in the mail. I'm planning to use this as the driver equivalent to the Gator and the Firebird. I'm learning to throw forehand now, and I'm hoping that this will be a disc that can help me here.

So, Here you have it. If it's to any help, I'm 18 years old, fit, have been playing since September (nothing in desember and januray due to the snow..) and really want's to learn. What I'm wondering is if there's something I don't need or if I missed something. Are there any "holes" in my bag? Fyi; I don't throw rollers yet. But I would appreciate suggestions here, too.

Thank you for taking the time to read all this!
Old 03-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 7
Smile driving putter

the best driving putter that I have found is the gateway ss voodoo. it will go on whatever line you want.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmac0 View Post
the best driving putter that I have found is the gateway ss voodoo. it will go on whatever line you want.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm looking for a stiffer one, that's the main reason that I changed to McPro Aviar. Is there anything else I should add or replace?
Old 03-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: LHFH
The Lat Opto Pure and MVP Anode are two of the best neutral driving putters in the game. If you want a shallower putter, try the Pure. Deeper, go Anode. I can't speak to the Anode, but I've seen people with more than 500' driving distance not flip a year old Opto Pure.

In all honesty, if your TeeBird distance is accurate, I'd say you're torquing your McPro and TL, not flipping them. Not saying that's 100% the case, just that neither should be that easy to flip with that kind of power.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
The Lat Opto Pure and MVP Anode are two of the best neutral driving putters in the game. If you want a shallower putter, try the Pure. Deeper, go Anode. I can't speak to the Anode, but I've seen people with more than 500' driving distance not flip a year old Opto Pure.

In all honesty, if your TeeBird distance is accurate, I'd say you're torquing your McPro and TL, not flipping them. Not saying that's 100% the case, just that neither should be that easy to flip with that kind of power.
yeah buddy. right on

maybe aviar driver would work. or aviar in champ would add some stability. aviar driver is the BB aviar. if you hate a bead, dont get it. personally i use kcp aviars for driving and i cycle them. but pure is a mini buzz and anode feels awesome in the hand. also ion has a bead but its so good its like cheating for driving (and im not an mvp thrower at all)
Old 03-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
The McPro seems to flip, but it is a possibillity that I in some way contribute to that. Maybe I just throw it in a wrong way sometimes. What I meant about the TL is that I've been throwing it completely flat in no wind what so ever, and it has started turning sometimes. Sorry if I used the wrong term, again, I'm quite new to the sport and english is my second language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
yeah buddy. right on

maybe aviar driver would work. or aviar in champ would add some stability. aviar driver is the BB aviar. if you hate a bead, dont get it. personally i use kcp aviars for driving and i cycle them. but pure is a mini buzz and anode feels awesome in the hand. also ion has a bead but its so good its like cheating for driving (and im not an mvp thrower at all)
One of those I play with uses the KcPro Aviar, I might be able to try one of them for a few days. And I don't like the feeling of the Buzz, so will probably leave the Pure for now.
Could you describe the Anode and the Ion a bit more? And what does "mvp" mean?

Thank you both! You are really helping me out here! Feel free to comment on the rest of the bag if you'd like!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Par Member

Never mind the "mvp" thing, I figured it out..

And now I figured out how to edit a post. Is there any way to delete one?
Old 03-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapers View Post
One of those I play with uses the KcPro Aviar, I might be able to try one of them for a few days. And I don't like the feeling of the Buzz, so will probably leave the Pure for now.
Could you describe the Anode and the Ion a bit more? And what does "mvp" mean?
The Pure is a mini-Buzzz in flight, not feel. The Anode is pretty similar to the Pure in flight. It's just a deeper putter. Both will be very straight with a very mild fade. If you can borrow your friend's KC Aviar, the Ion will fly closer to it with a similarly deep rim as the Anode.

I'm personally a Pure thrower and enjoy driving with them up to ~15mph headwind. Nearing that limit, I'm focusing on technique and throwing smooth because form flaws will send them left (for me - I throw LHBH) with no hope of fading.

If you're looking for a disc that will handle winds a little easier, I would also look at the Gateway Wizard. They are similar to the KC Aviar and Ion in flight and come in just about every feel and firmness you can imagine. They also, like the Rocs you love, will be useful across their entire lifespan. Because of this, I would give them the edge over the Ion which only comes in premium plastic and takes a very long time to season. I carry them but only for putting. While they fly great, I just never really enjoyed throwing them off the tee.

And there is no way to delete a post, and you only have a five minute window to edit your posts.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Par Member

I'm not a fan of deep rims, I can't find a comfortable grip on those. I might buy an Opto Pure for testing. Do you recommend max weight? And is there any way I can prevent "torquing" the TeeBird? And what does it really mean? I'm not familiar with all the terms yet..

Old 03-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Max weight is what I'm throwing. I don't think you'll be able to find an Opto Pure too far away from max weight though so not much choice...

As for TeeBird question, have you looked at this thread in the Technique forum? There is a lot of helpful information in there to help bring your form into solid shape. The entire Technique forum has a ton of helpful information as well beyond just the thread I linked.

Torquing is throwing the disc with off-axis torque (OAT). There are a lot of threads discussing what OAT really is, but the best way to diagnose one of the most easily fixed parts of it is if the disc flutters out of your hand and flies to the right before smoothing out and flying as intended. Besides the thread I linked above, spending some time in a field working with slow, neutral discs like the Pure (and even better, a lighter weight Elite X Comet) will help as well because they are much less tolerant of form flaws than overstable discs. It sounds like you're already getting some solid distance so you shouldn't struggle too hard in the field. You can expect to not only gain distance but you'll see increased accuracy as well.