Disc Golf Store
Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Obstacles in front of lie. Safety Rule?

I have heard this enough that I had to read the rulebook through and through a couple times trying to find it, but I can't. Here are a couple of quotes I have been told recently...one by a TD.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if these branches are behind my lie or not, the new safety rule says I can move them if my follow-through could cause me to step on them
Quote:
The new rules say I can move the branches if I would hit them. It is to make sure that people don't twist an ankle on a follow through or jump putt.
From what I read in the rule book, you can't move anything that isn't at least partially on or behind your lie. People around here seem to think that even if it is totally in front of the lie that it can be moved.

Am I missing something? Or is there a non-rule that has been circulating again? Can you move a tree branch that is in front of the lie, and not on it or in the run-up?

This winter was tough on the trees in my area, and the debris is still all over the courses, so this comes up a lot.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 586
You cannot move anything that is completely in front of your lie except for other players and their equipment/belongings. I suggest handing the rulebook to anyone who tells you otherwise and ask them to show you where moving the twigs or branches fully in front of the lie is allowed. If items are in front of your lie that you might land on or swing your arm into during your follow through, it's your responsibility to back up or stand and deliver in a way that you don't possibly hurt yourself. Or, you can always take a penalty and move back on the line of play as far as you want using the optional relief rule 803.02A.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
You cannot move anything that is completely in front of your lie except for other players and their equipment/belongings. I suggest handing the rulebook to anyone who tells you otherwise and ask them to show you where moving the twigs or branches fully in front of the lie is allowed. If items are in front of your lie that you might land on or swing your arm into during your follow through, it's your responsibility to back up or stand and deliver in a way that you don't possibly hurt yourself. Or, you can always take a penalty and move back on the line of play as far as you want using the optional relief rule 803.02A.
Much like trees too close to teepads or lies. You can't move the tree, just have to play around it. Anything not affecting your immediate lie, you can't mess with.

I question if there is a long tree limb that is in way of your mini but not behind your lie... What do you do in that situation?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 PM

The back edge of your mini is the dividing line between "in front of" and "behind" your lie. Now if the limb is big enough to qualify as a unattached solid object on the ground, you can move your mark back to behind the limb if desired.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The back edge of your mini is the dividing line between "in front of" and "behind" your lie. Now if the limb is big enough to qualify as a unattached solid object on the ground, you can move your mark back to behind the limb if desired.
So if I mark my disc and a huge root is directly where I would plant my front foot do I have any options? Can I move my mark? I doubt it but just checking.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van1 View Post
So if I mark my disc and a huge root is directly where I would plant my front foot do I have any options? Can I move my mark? I doubt it but just checking.
well if the root would be behind your mini then presumably that meant your disc landed on the root and if that is the case you should just play from the back edge of your disc and not mark your lie with a mini.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
To me, downed tree debris should always be movable, especially if it comes down during the tournament, which I've seen happen.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 121
Can't you remove dead limbs/branches from behind your lie? But nothing in front?

I.e. My disc lands in the middle of the fairway but it lands in a large limb that recently fell. Can i move the limb to have better footing?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 PM

Yes. But the limbs behind your lie have to be in your stance or runup. Otherwise, you're not supposed to move debris even if behind your lie and not in your way.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 121
Ahhh. So if i'm in the rough and there's a dead vine that's restricting my full desired motion/throw then i can't technically move it?

Only if its in the way of my stance/run up?

Thanks for the clarification.