Old 03-19-2013, 12:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
The trick is to keep your mini marker on the ground until you know if you are going to thow it from the new lie or the previous lie. I recently learned about this rule because a buddy did the same thing. After missing the put, he had a bad roll down the hill and it ended up about 150-75 feet away behind a clump of trees. I wish I knew about this rule before.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.4
I've used the Optional Re-Throw rule a couple of times. Each was after a terrible shank into the woods. I looked at my lie, determined it would probably take me at least 2 strokes to get out of trouble, and decided a re-throw was the best choice.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 8
Man a lot of debating on the course could be avoided if more players took the time to read the rule book.
May I encourage everyone not knowin about this rule to do just that? It's really not that long a read.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psicko View Post
The trick is to keep your mini marker on the ground until you know if you are going to thow it from the new lie or the previous lie. I recently learned about this rule because a buddy did the same thing. After missing the put, he had a bad roll down the hill and it ended up about 150-75 feet away behind a clump of trees. I wish I knew about this rule before.
Leaving the marker on the ground is not necessary in order to re-throw from the previous lie, so the "trick" isn't required.

Quote:
800.02 Definitions
Previous Lie
The lie resulting from the most recent throw, as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker disc has been moved, the corresponding approximate lie.
JoakimBL is dead on. The rule book is not that long of a read. It's not like anyone needs to memorize it or anything, but if everyone just read it through once or twice, everyone would be in a better position to not be taken off guard on the course. Or at the very least, wouldn't be left wondering "can he really do that?" when a fellow player utilizes a rule to his advantage.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
Interesting thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Its best used if your shot rolls way OB or a very short drive kicks you way off the fairway or OB short. If you miss a 15' putt and it rolls 100' OB. Use it. Instead of taking the penalty 100' away you take it 15' away. Probably net you a better score. If you drive and you get a wierd kick but you can jump putt to the fairway do that over the rethrow get yourself a little extra D so you can disc down for your 3rd.
Unless I'm mistaken, how far it goes OB is irrelevant. You can:
a) opt to throw from where it crossed over to OB, or...
b) rethrow from original lie
...with a 1 stroke penalty in either case. Doesn't matter if you landed OB by 10 inches or half a county.

Where this rule can really help you is on a godforsaken throw that doesn't go OB, because your only options are:
a) Play horrible lie (no penalty).
b) rethrow from original spot (with 1 stroke penalty)

Without the OB, there's no option to play from where it crossed over to OB (which may not be that bad).
Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheGlory View Post
Another quick rules question:

"A few exemptions have been added to the interference rules: interference to prevent injury or to prevent (with the thrower's consent) a disc from becoming lost is allowed."

So my buddy's disc is rolling towards The Cliffs of Insanity and is about to plunge 500ft into oblivion. The thrower allows me to stop his disc before it falls off the face of the earth...

How do I score it?

And

Where do I mark it?

My guess is one stroke penalty and re-throw from the previous lie?
Correct.

"
Altering the course of a thrown disc with the consent of the thrower in order to prevent the disc from becoming lost is not punishable interference. Any disc whose course is altered for that reason is considered to be a lost disc.
"

http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-r...3-interference
Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Cool dude

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoakimBL View Post
Man a lot of debating on the course could be avoided if more players took the time to read the rule book.
May I encourage everyone not knowin about this rule to do just that? It's really not that long a read.
I am busy...its alot easier to ask someone else. :shrugsmiley:
Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Leaving the marker on the ground is not necessary in order to re-throw from the previous lie, so the "trick" isn't required.

JoakimBL is dead on. The rule book is not that long of a read. It's not like anyone needs to memorize it or anything, but if everyone just read it through once or twice, everyone would be in a better position to not be taken off guard on the course. Or at the very least, wouldn't be left wondering "can he really do that?" when a fellow player utilizes a rule to his advantage.
I have a copy in a Ziploc in my bag. It's absolutely wonderful when people pull out BS rules.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmk View Post
Correct.

"
Altering the course of a thrown disc with the consent of the thrower in order to prevent the disc from becoming lost is not punishable interference. Any disc whose course is altered for that reason is considered to be a lost disc.
"

http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-r...3-interference
I get it now. Thank you for clearing it up for me.