Old 03-19-2013, 04:56 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
This will probably work. I think most serious DGers won't give it much business b/c they're too particular but for the n00bs and college kids in the summer it should work great. Awesome for people bringing friends without discs to the park.
Agreed, though I would probably buy from it once just to see it work and support a cool new idea.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 PM

It seems to me that if this catches on the responsiblity for running events will be put on the local clubs and the guys trying to make a living running tournaments and selling disc are in trouble.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by papparoc View Post
It seems to me that if this catches on the responsiblity for running events will be put on the local clubs and the guys trying to make a living running tournaments and selling disc are in trouble.
A vending machine will never have the selection or the variety or the ability to hold the plastic before buying it, I would be very surprised to see them do much to eat into the business those guys do. I think it will compete more with Dick's and PIAS.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
A vending machine will never have the selection or the variety or the ability to hold the plastic before buying it, I would be very surprised to see them do much to eat into the business those guys do. I think it will compete more with Dick's and PIAS.
Many of those guys would be affected by loosing just 10 disc sales a week.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by papparoc View Post
Many of those guys would be affected by loosing just 10 disc sales a week.
Which is what I was saying from the beginning. Its a COOL idea yes. However discgolf still isn't big enough to have many stores stand on their own. If pias sold only discs they wouldn't be in biz.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 18
I have to say that I never thought I'd see the day...
I would probably buy one just to say I bought a disc from a vending machine, but it could never replace a disc shop. Not being able to chose the weight and fondle the disc, inspect it or what have you would be a problem for me. I'm sure most serious disc golfers would feel the same. As said before I think the target market would be geared toward newbs or those who don't really care what they get, just something new and shiny.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
I think this is just another step in pushing disc golf toward mainstream exposure. The people from Teeboxx are probably looking to add a way to put a disc in someone's hand, not take away from vendors who already do that.

Remember, we are often victims of our own perspective here in the DGCR bubble. Many of us like particular weights, colors, feels, etc. to our discs, and there are places to find that. But most of us also probably walked into a sporting goods store to purchase our first disc, then got hooked. This is just another way to hook people.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 12
I'm not sure, cause I didn't skim the whole thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned, these things need to be like a red box. 100's of discs, all searchable, with a touch screen. You'd be able to carry more molds, more colors, more weights. I realize the old school style vending machines might make more sense financially than a touch screen, but why go to all this work for a 1/2 ass finished product.

Holds 12 molds, you just get whatever color/weight is on top, potentially having a vandalized or broken into machine

Vs

Carry almost unlimited molds, 10x the capacity, more satisfied customers, less chance of losing your investment

Brb applying for a patent
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by A rod View Post
I'm not sure, cause I didn't skim the whole thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned, these things need to be like a red box. 100's of discs, all searchable, with a touch screen. You'd be able to carry more molds, more colors, more weights. I realize the old school style vending machines might make more sense financially than a touch screen, but why go to all this work for a 1/2 ass finished product.

Holds 12 molds, you just get whatever color/weight is on top, potentially having a vandalized or broken into machine

Vs

Carry almost unlimited molds, 10x the capacity, more satisfied customers, less chance of losing your investment

That would have to be a gigantic machine to handle that type of volume

Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by A rod View Post

Vs

It's been mentioned, by both myself and others. And yes, it would need to be a large machine. And it could be something they decide to try in the future. A little easier to launch something with lower overhead, then move into the high end stuff.