#201  
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM
harryputter harryputter is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooTaters View Post
My apologies for missing such a post, but I play recreationally and I do care about weight. Maybe some wouldn't call it recreationally with how much I play, but I rarely ever keep score so it's not competitive either. I will admit exact weight isn't a problem, but I do prefer the weight to be 165-172, unless I'm looking for something specific like a wind disc and want it heavier.

I'll admit you have a point on flight differences unless you're looking at large weight differences, but I would argue I notice the difference in how much power it takes to throw a disc that is heavier. Now would I notice a difference between a gram or two? No which is why my preferred weight above(for drivers) has such a large range. I'm not trying to say what you're doing is wrong and do like what you said about no trash, I'm just speaking my mind and throwing out my 2 cents. I guess with what you've said I'd hope at least there might be something on the machine which notifies people that all discs(except things like blizzard plastic) is 170g or above.
Yeah good call Moo, we have a decal on the viewing area stating the 170 plus. We hope to have gen 2 give choice of color but as others have mentioned we are rolling out this version first to see if we can afford a more expensive upgrade. This is another reason to lease the machines vs sell them out right. It's much easier to renew a lease then it is to buy another machine. Kind of like cell phones.The lease is a win situation for everybody involved.
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 AM
harryputter harryputter is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPuppySlayer View Post
These things are going to be big! I remember when Ross Brandt told me about them back in November, and couldn't wait to see what you guys have been cooking up. Can't wait to see them here in the Twin Cities!
Working on it in fact the Cities were the first place we started. MN has the most park regulation we've come across. Rossy is on it though, we've got 3 courses in mind.
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 AM
mndiscg mndiscg is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hutchinson, MN
Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 345
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPuppySlayer View Post
These things are going to be big! I remember when Ross Brandt told me about them back in November, and couldn't wait to see what you guys have been cooking up. Can't wait to see them here in the Twin Cities!
Where do you think would be the best fit in the cities? 3 Rivers Parks? Acorn?
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 AM
mndiscg mndiscg is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hutchinson, MN
Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 345
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputter View Post
Working on it in fact the Cities were the first place we started. MN has the most park regulation we've come across. Rossy is on it though, we've got 3 courses in mind.
Which parks? If you are able to let us know?
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM
harryputter harryputter is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mndiscg View Post
Which parks? If you are able to let us know?
Acorn for sure
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Frolfington's Avatar
Frolfington Frolfington is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 157
I think it's a great way to give quick access to people who come to public parks and want to give disc golf a shot; maybe they drive past and see baskets and have no idea what they are looking at. This is a way for them to get involved within a few minutes
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Disc Golf Live's Avatar
Disc Golf Live Disc Golf Live is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 456
I think having all discs over 170g is a mistake. A few options of lighter, less stable discs for those who want/need that would be sensible. It might also make sense for folks who load discs into these machines to put a sticker on the front of the disc with the weight listed, so buyers could see what's available at least in the front of each disc option. Foolish newbs will be buying the wrong discs (way too overstable!) much of the time, but at least those who know what they're looking for will have options.
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:31 AM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is offline
Don Rickles #1 Fan
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 9,648
I know it was mentioned earlier that weight stickers become litter the second the disc is pulled from the machine. What about writing the weight on with a grease pencil or something that can be easily wiped from the disc?
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 PM
harryputter harryputter is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Golf Live View Post
I think having all discs over 170g is a mistake. A few options of lighter, less stable discs for those who want/need that would be sensible. It might also make sense for folks who load discs into these machines to put a sticker on the front of the disc with the weight listed, so buyers could see what's available at least in the front of each disc option. Foolish newbs will be buying the wrong discs (way too overstable!) much of the time, but at least those who know what they're looking for will have options.
DGLive - If you look at the photograph there is a precise method to our point of purchase. We've broken down every disc to skill level based on experience which is clearly stated along the left side of each shelf on the machine face. Weights don't dictate stability as much as molds do.
Reply With Quote
 

  #210  
Old 04-26-2013, 04:04 PM
harryputter harryputter is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I know it was mentioned earlier that weight stickers become litter the second the disc is pulled from the machine. What about writing the weight on with a grease pencil or something that can be easily wiped from the disc?
That's a better solution for sure, thanks for the suggestion! However, we still don't want to confuse new players with too much information. Like I said in the previous post weight has never been an issue throughout my career (170 or above) in 9 years of touring and tournament play. I only cared about weight if it was below 170 because that was the only time I saw a significant difference in flight. We do offer Blizzard plastic though and it's labeled accordingly.

Last edited by harryputter; 04-26-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Disc Golf Center

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.