Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Footwork yips?

Sorry about the title. Did not know what else to call it. Anyway, out of the clear blue, some sort of weird stutter step formed in my tee shots. It only happens on the pads. I involuntarily take several very tiny and fast stutter steps before initiating the real run up or whatever it's called. Has not really affected my shots for better or worse. It's kind of embarrassing though. Ever seen anyone have this happen to them? Is it something I should work on eliminating?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 51
eh. I had a buddy tell me that I have a whole routine, now I sometimes think about it. Well, thinking about it always messes me up.

THANKS BILLY!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bird Man View Post
eh. I had a buddy tell me that I have a whole routine, now I sometimes think about it. Well, thinking about it always messes me up.

THANKS BILLY!
Do you breath in or out at reach back?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Sorry about the title. Did not know what else to call it. Anyway, out of the clear blue, some sort of weird stutter step formed in my tee shots. It only happens on the pads. I involuntarily take several very tiny and fast stutter steps before initiating the real run up or whatever it's called. Has not really affected my shots for better or worse. It's kind of embarrassing though. Ever seen anyone have this happen to them? Is it something I should work on eliminating?
I do this some on days where I'm feeling tired or flat. It's more mental, for me, where I feel like I need to do the stutter to get my momentum going forward.

Don't be too embarassed, I see a lot of players do it. Sometimes I think "big guys" like me sort of unconsciously do it to get the weight moving forward.

Also, was it something about those particular tee pads? Wierd length?

Two weeks ago, in a tourney, I started freaking hopping in the air off my pivot foot at/immediately after release. I was like, 'do what?!' But it never happened again, so...?

If it persists, you could likely knock it out by doing some footwork without a disc/throw, to get the rhythm/routine at the start of the runup down/comfortable.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 49
Played a round with Tim Barr last year at HH. He does a little stutter step on the pad before throwing. I do it if the pad is wet or muddy. Gets your feet all tight up in the shoes.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 56
Lots of people have these little motions going into their run up. Usually, they just help the person get into the rhythm and timing of the throw. It's not necessarily bad, but the more of those "yips" you have, the more that can go wrong. Sometimes, it can be beneficial to gradually work those out of your routine to simplify your throw. I used to have a couple small steps before going into the run up. It felt most comfortable, but I was having trouble with consistency. Once I got my run up down to three slow, solid steps, my snap and consistency has improved.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
Once I got my run up down to three slow, solid steps, my snap and consistency has improved.
I'd like to get to there. May use my mid-week rounds to work on it.

I should get a friend to video this. It might be entertaining.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Kinda hard to give advice without seeing it. Could be a subtle thing that doesn't really hurt you or it could be a big issue.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Eagle Member

Understood.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 31
I've always heard it called the Fred Flintstone.