Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
A little help needed in defining a few terms

I'm trying to understand what is meant when people say you need to try clearing the rear hip in reach back or clearing the front hip in downswing.

Can anyone explain this in more detail? It's just one of those small things that I read about over and over but just can't visualize.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 10:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 59
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I think it's about getting the hips involved in the turn/pivot, getting the lower body more involved. Maybe some of the technique guru's can correct me if i'm off here.

Basically the reason everyone espouses the heel pivot is that it makes it easier to "open" your hip. Clearing the rear hip on the reach back is I assume part of this. I think about this as, at reach back, i want my (RHBH) right butt cheek to be pointing at my target, not the side/front of my hip.

I can't do youtube from the office, but the slo-mo vids of tee shots of various players are good for looking at this. Feld-borg's from a few years ago at I think the Scan. Open really shows the heel pivot and how it gets his hip involved. Page Pierce's is something, too. When you try to watch her right hip in that vid at real speed, you can't even follow it. She gets a ton of power there, and if I, at my age, tried to emulate her hip rotation, I'd wind up in traction.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 44
i have no idea, that all sounds WAY too technical to me.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 104
Toro is on it-- to expand, I would say that it also means the disc is behind your hip and in front of it at both maximums/climax points in the throw. If the hip is not locked in one spot but moving forward with the pull-through or opening early as well as not closing enough in the reachback, the disc will never "clear your hips" and does not allow for good core rotation without it. Also why straight/tight pull-through is important as it impacts when the disc will clear your hips in relation to your core rotation.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Last edited by Dan Ensor; 03-27-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 106
^ That vid is great as well as many others of his. If you standstill with your feet together, your hips will clear back and forth as you swing back and forth, they don't even have a choice. It's once you widen your stance where a big ole can worms gets opened up for most players as far as clearing the hips because you then have two axises to rotate about. Try the feet together drill and throwing, you might be surprised how far you can throw and have some revelations about weight transfer and throwing, I know I did(I threw putters with some hyzer).

Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 28
Great info guys! Thank you!