Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: LHBH
Last day for final four votes!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
Just voted for the first time, wish I had gotten into the action earlier! BIG thanks to Menacewarf for setting this up. Here's my two cents for next year: I do like an equal number of each type (putter, mid, fairway, distance driver) but I think if we put too much in to the voting and seeding it will make the bracket less fun. Seeding and voting are important for the NCAA because an actual game is taking place, but it is kind of silly to have a popularity contest precede what is essentially a popularity contest. Plus in basketball (and other sports) teams can be better or worse year to year, but we are voting on the all-time opinion of the disc, so the people's feelings for a roc or TeeBird isn't going to change much year to year. The only real factors are who votes, how many people, and maybe if a new mold can make a splash. Don't get me wrong, I love the bracket, but if it was seeded perfectly, there wouldn't be any upsets, right? I think it would almost be more fun if we took a random sample of discs, threw them into a bracket, and then voted. You might get a matchup equivalent to two 1 seeds facing off in the first or second round, but it would be way harder to predict what happens and each year the chance of a different outcome would be greater. Plus you wouldn't have people arguing over whether a popular mold should be a 1,2, or 3 seed. Disc selection wouldn't really be that important, you could seed them based on whatever the order is you pull the name out of a hat, and then people might actually have more fun voting for their favorite especially if you get a totally bizarre, less popular disc matchup in a later round. Just a thought. Don't flame, I'm not hating on this format, just trying to think of ways to keep it interesting year to year. You could even do it my way too in addition to this format. Think of it as the NIT
Old 04-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Nice input blammo. I might have to set an alarm to shut this down in an hour, I'm getting tired, accidentally woke up at 1:30 am last night and only napped 5 min since.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Sorry I fell asleep but it didn't change the results.

Roc 76.44% 172 votes
def
Destroyer 23.56% 53 votes

Buzzz 53.13% 119 votes
def
Teebird 46.88% 105 votes

Couldn't bielieve how tight that second match was. Luckily if it had shifted after midnight I could have filterd out votes by when they came in but Buzzz eeeked it out either way.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Championship Voting
Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Bracket Update

Well it looks like we have our first hall of fame. Is the consensus that two is the right number?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 72
Well this has been a lot of fun even though I didn't fill a bracket out I have enjoyed voting and seeing the results. For next years tournament what about some conference play to build a discs resume. It probably doesn't make sense for innova and discraft but for the smaller manufactures make a poll with all there discs and people can vote. Really small companies get one qualifier others could get more based on how the voting goes and a general consensus. That way we can be sure each manufacture is represent by their top molds. Blammo's idea of not seeding is interesting. I agree that we shouldn't spend to much time seeding because then their wouldn't be any upsets but I wouldn't want to see all the top molds in one region. Maybe pick a top 8 or 16, seed them, and leave the rest more up to chance. Except make sure each smaller company has their discs distributed evenly throughout the regions. I.e. if there are 3 MVP discs they would be in 3 different regions. Thanks for organizing this menacewarf.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 45
Nicely done. The championship is exactly what I thought it would be, but it's been fun. I agree that the top two should be in the Hall of Fame. It sucks for me being a Buzzz guy, because I feel like the Roc is going to win and my disc of choice is going to be disqualified from ever being crowned champion, but it makes more sense than just putting the champ in the Hall. If we did that (as I've said previously), we'd pretty much have a guarantee that the runner up each year would win the next.

You should also talk to the mods next year about creating a temporary stickie so you don't have to keep bumping this page throughout the tournament.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Here is the payout for the brackets. 1st chooses anything. 2nd anything but the Rhyno or Comet. 3rd -6th choose anything from the single row in order.

The green protostar is the Ape and Orange is vulcan. Let me know if you want to know any weights. After the finals on Tuesday post your choices here if you are in the top 6.