Old 03-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
I personally know more than 15 people who have bought these. So just cause you don't like them doesn't mean people don't.

They were the ONLY pair of shoes directly marketed to Disc Golfers. Other shoes work great for disc golf as well, but they were marketed directly at disc golfers. That's huge. Seems some people had issues with them, but i've known people with issues with every brand mentioned. I'm giving salomons a shot myself here, was going to get dela's, but if they are discontinued, i don't want to mess with that if i have any issues.
I don't remember the model I had, but I loved the pair of Salomans I had...for the three months before the sole shredded itself by my toe. I sent them an email with pics about it, and I never got a response. I was honest and mentioned I wore them for disc golf. Maybe that is what caused them to not respond.

I won't buy another pair. Their lacing system is pretty awesome though.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I don't remember the model I had, but I loved the pair of Salomans I had...for the three months before the sole shredded itself by my toe. I sent them an email with pics about it, and I never got a response. I was honest and mentioned I wore them for disc golf. Maybe that is what caused them to not respond.

I'm being a homer and trying the pair McBeth uses. I figure, there is NO WAY i play as much as him, so if they last for him, hopefully they'll last for me. I play in skate shoes on most courses with concrete pads, and dry. So they'll be part time wearers to hopefully last longer.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 PM

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post

I've been finding that some types of shoes are certainly better than others for disc golf. I've got a pair of shoes meant for minimalist trail running whose outsoles have really started coming unglued from the rest of the shoe. I think it's because of torsion during a throw.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
I'm being a homer and trying the pair McBeth uses. I figure, there is NO WAY i play as much as him, so if they last for him, hopefully they'll last for me. I play in skate shoes on most courses with concrete pads, and dry. So they'll be part time wearers to hopefully last longer.
You should be very happy with them, and hopefully you have a better experience with them than I did. They were extremely comfortable. Chances are you'll wind up wearing them a lot more than you think because of that.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
I think Keen did the right thing trying to make a shoe designed with disc golf in mind by trying to reinforce areas that typically fail on their other shoes. The thing is though, as soon as anything goes wrong with them all of us are filing warranty claims and getting replacements sent out. I would imagine they are either going to put out another model like how the de la replaced the milo (which I think is unlikely) or they are seeing the shoe isn't profitable for them and would rather get rid of a model with a very high warranty fail rate for them. Not necessarily that they are bad shoes, but when you advertise it as a DG friendly shoe you are catering to the DG crowd, which is about the worst physical activity possible for a pair of shoes.

If you're down with paying $120 consistently for DG shoes just start buying whatever you want from REI and take it back to them when they fall apart. I like my de las a lot but that model has to be putting the hurt on Keen.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogroat View Post
I've been finding that some types of shoes are certainly better than others for disc golf. I've got a pair of shoes meant for minimalist trail running whose outsoles have really started coming unglued from the rest of the shoe. I think it's because of torsion during a throw.
I'm rough on shoes anyway, and disc golf makes it that much worse. I generally accept that anything I buy will fall apart within a year. I just have never had a pair of shoes fall apart so fast (first letter I've ever written to a shoe manufacturer), especially a pair that was close to $150. It was a legitimate complaint in my opinion, and I got no reply.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
If you're down with paying $120 consistently for DG shoes just start buying whatever you want from REI and take it back to them when they fall apart. I like my de las a lot but that model has to be putting the hurt on Keen.
Plus you get 10% back when buying non-sale items from REI every year.

I have been a member there since 1995-1996 and get the majority of my hiking, camping, outdoor and disc golfing gear there. Bought my Merrell Moabs there about 4 years ago and finally wore thru those. Had to pick up a new pair of Merrell's for this season, opted for the Chameleons!

Merrell + Gortex + Vibram = WIN!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawanda37 View Post
...and maybe 15 people are devastated.
I'm one of them. Not devastated but sad as De La is where it all began for me and to buy a DG shoe that was named after the course was awesome! They have been durable and comfortable but for some reason others have had a hard time with them. Maybe it's their form...
Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 29

Old 03-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 78
Hello? Keen?

So a few pair of the Dela shoes quickly show damage during the intended use & instead of using that data to improve the design they just discontinue the product line all together? WTH?
I have to ask. Did a real "disc golfer" design these shoes initially? Or did Keen just jump on a perceived "bandwagon" & try to market to a distinct audience without much research? And once a problem surfaces you turn tail & run? Did you not expect any feedback from the users of this product?
Is this a company that truly wants to market a shoe to a specific audience? It doesnt sound like it to me!
I dont get it. Why offer up a free replacement warranty if you just intend on replacing the defective units (not look at them closely to see where the problem lies)?
This is a pretty big shoe company with claims of quality & durability in many different market segments. Was this product not tested before releasing to the public? I find that hard to believe.
Are Disc Golfers too tough on your product? Really?
Time to step up & prove your worth not fold like a wet blanket & throw in the towel!
This could've went a whole different way. Your "Disc Golf" shoes could've been better developed & updated. New designs could've branched off, etc.
I dont get it!
Well it was nice knowing you!