Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
So So player

Are there any events out there for players that are just ok?? I am one of those players. I have moments where I get amazing shots. And all the other times well... I realize I need tons more practice. I absolutely love the sport. I'm playing 4 to 5 times a week and would love to play in a tourney but I know I'd embarrass myself. Not like that would bother me but that would become the outcome. I'm located in so cal so if anybody has any input I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: RHBH
best thing to do is just enter a tournament. Gotta start somewhere right ? It'll give you an idea what goes on and how tournament play is a little different than casual play. Best thing is the second round they re arrange the card so you'll be playing people shooting the same score as you.

You can also search local clubs message boards for when they have dubs and get teamed up with others ...
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 3
Like the first poster said - enter a tourney and have some fun. There are 'lower' divisions in most tourneys (Novice/Recreational), and 90% of those players are going to be just where you are - they love to play and want to have the experience of a tournament. I think you'll find that there are plenty of people just starting and out to have fun - not necessarily to win anything or impress anyone. Just play your game, relax, and if you make a mistake, rest assured that plenty of others in your division will be doing the same. I also found that it can help to have a buddy caddy for you if he/she is willing - it can help you relax and have someone to talk shots over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk chef View Post
Are there any events out there for players that are just ok?? I am one of those players. I have moments where I get amazing shots. And all the other times well... I realize I need tons more practice. I absolutely love the sport. I'm playing 4 to 5 times a week and would love to play in a tourney but I know I'd embarrass myself. Not like that would bother me but that would become the outcome. I'm located in so cal so if anybody has any input I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
Is the potential of finishing DFL that embarrassing to you? Why not look for a local league (usually geared towards helping newer players improve and introducing them to tournament play) or a weekly doubles game somewhere close to you? I know that seeing the lines much better players than myself took compared to mine opened up my game, and it made me get better a lot faster.

I remember my first weekly random draw doubles. I saw a course I couldn't shoot anywhere close to sign par on at the time (Lincoln Ridge) thrown 12 under pro par, which is technically a bad score for doubles. It took two weeks, and I was throwing pro par. Talk about an improvement.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.2
dude! i have only been playing for 4 months and i played i the west coast VO qualifier at La Mirada in the REC dvision. it was a BLAST, i ended up T-10 out of 29 players. not bad in my book. you should sign up for the Spring fling down here in SD on 4/20 its an AM tourney 2 rounds different pin locations. there is a rec division(i will be playing in it) when it comes down to it, i found out from the tourney that is me against myself in the tourneys, as i have played WAY better than i did last weekend. but it was me missing the putts.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 155
Agreed with all the above!

Get plugged in with some other players, whether that be leagues, doubles or tournaments. I always loved the flight of a well thrown disc, especially when it miraculously came from one of my own throws. But I really saw improvement in my game and in my enjoyment when I was able to see how others play.

Don't compare yourself to anyone else, except where it helps you learn something that works for you. Go out there to 1) have fun, 2) enjoy a healthful outdoor sport, 3) make friends, 4) improve your best (on a throw, a hole, a course...), then, and only and then 5) see how you stack up against others.

I particularly enjoy some of our 'casual' tournaments, because we often play mixed groupings on the first round (most sanctioned events keep you in your division). You might get to play with an open level player and really learn there are lots of levels of proficiency. I'll never be as good as some of the players I've been privileged to go out there with, but it's usually fun to see what a 1000 rated player can do, anyway! They're almost always patient with us noobs.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk chef View Post
If you feel you're too inexperienced for tournaments, that's okay. Local leagues might offer a bit more relaxed vibe but still offer a chance at a competitive atmosphere. If local leagues are cutthroat (some are and that's okay, too) then try and find friendly locals from either the site or just around the course. Most people are willing to play with someone learning and wanting to get rounds in.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 112
the tournaments that I've had the most fun at were for doubles... it has a casual and fun feeling to it

if you really just want the experience and not have to worry about doing really badly you should just get in at the bottom... so rec level would be fun for you... plus at the lower division, the people on your card are more likely to just want to have fun too

I'm convinced that we all should do at least a few tournaments...
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongey600 View Post
dude! i have only been playing for 4 months and i played i the west coast VO qualifier at La Mirada in the REC dvision. it was a BLAST, i ended up T-10 out of 29 players. not bad in my book. you should sign up for the Spring fling down here in SD on 4/20 its an AM tourney 2 rounds different pin locations. there is a rec division(i will be playing in it) when it comes down to it, i found out from the tourney that is me against myself in the tourneys, as i have played WAY better than i did last weekend. but it was me missing the putts.
Yeah I was there spectating with my 3 boys. Got me thinking I want to join. I just wasn't sure if there was a lower level field of play.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 1
Embarrassing yourself is mandatory
Go to the mcbeth thread and watch the vid of him yanking a drive, or go find the vid where uli yanks his upshot 90 degrees in the wrong direction.
Every golfer, regardless of skill level, is required to make a complete ass of himself from time to time. If you don't then your not really one of us