Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Technique & Strategy

View Poll Results: Hyzer Flip or Flex Shot (S Curve)
Hyzer Flip 90 72.58%
Flex Shot (S Curve) 34 27.42%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Hyzer Flip vs Flex Shot [S Curve]

I have experience with the S Curve Flex Shot, and have produced many good drives with them. What I also find is even when it is windy, Flex Shots are always an option if the stability is right.

But this spring was the first time I really started using hyzer flips, and I was greatly impressed with the distance. I was using a Star Vulcan, and at a time when I was throwing 260'-270', I tape measured a hole and hyzer flipped one 360'.

The problem I had was consistency. It didn't always flip. Also, the stability of the disc I was using was pretty flippy, so even if I moved to a Roadrunner, I do not think this would be a good shot in the wind.

Still, I would like to hear from some players who have used both styles of long distance throwing, and what you preferred and why?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 33
I prefer hyzer flips because, imo, more often than not, most people who flex discs just can't get them up to speed. I will say I'm getting pretty fond of flexing hornets for approach shots.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 86
Hyzer flips get me more distance on actual, usable golf lines. You can hit some really tight lines for a lot of distance if you can get your hyzer flips dialed in. In windy conditions, just put more hyzer on the disc or use a slightly more stable disc. Flexing a disc for distance usually calls for a lot more room to work.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 PM
International Hair Champion

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 73
I think if I knew how to hyzer flip efficiently I could throw 400+ nearly on command,but alas...

Something I definitely plan on working on this winter.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 45
Hyzer flips are good for straighter shots/low ceiling/tighter gaps. Flex shots are good if u have the room and they are better for placement shots for me.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
Flex shots look cooler, hyzer flips are more useful because you can hit tighter lines.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: LHBH
I flex when i need to get around trees and obstacles and hyzer-flip when i want straight and long d with certain discs. flexes give me more distance imo.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Birdie Member

I love hyzer flips because I feel that you can generate more power if you pull through kind of under your chest, like a ball golf swing sort of, and that outs you at a natural hyzer release angle. And you can pop one up high or keep it low. It's a super versatile shot to have mastered.

I do however throw some flex shots with my Nuke and am always pleased with the result.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 39
I like to throw flat most of the time. But as the disc gets more beat in, i'll have to hyzer flip dat shiz

Old 09-15-2011, 11:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
When people say flex shot for distance I envision torque monkeys eating bananas and dancing with toothbrushes.

It's called a distance anhyzer and it fades straight as it flexes out of the anny line to maximize distance. A distance hyzer-flip is actually a fairly similar line, but adds another dimension to the line as it flips up and over to anny and flexes/fades out straight. Depends on the tailwind and the hole as what I'm throwing, although its really rare I throw a distance line on the course. All things being equal I prefer the distance anny because I find it more consistent since it has less dimensions. When dealing with headwinds I throw as flat and low as possible.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resour...ncelines.shtml