Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHBH
Best Courses in Maine? Bangor Road Trip July 4th Weekend

What are the best courses in Maine relatively close to 95? I've checked out DGCR reviews but I thought I'd ask because there seems to be a ton of highly reviewed courses. Courses with (or nearby) camping are a plus but not mandatory.

My friend and I are heading up to Bangor for the Phish show on Wed July 3rd and making our way back to Boston over the following 4 days. If anyone has a floor or backyard for us to stay at in Bangor that night please PM me. We are good cooks and gracious guests. Also – we are 28 year old young professionals, not hippie band tour wookies (not that there’s anything wrong with them).

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to disc golfing in Maine!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
I've only played the LaVallee and Sabbattus complexes in Maine, but would recommend either. Sabbattus is a little less rugged and I thought the golf was just a tiny step less interesting, but the facility has better maintenance and a stocked pro shop. LaVallee is a little rough but has some really interesting terrain.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Porcupine Ridge
Sabbattus
Ackers Acre's

for sure
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 289
My buddy from Bangor says use Google and "DR Disc Golf in Orrington, Maine." It's 10 minutes from Bangor. He should find the website. Also they should play Quaker Hill DGC in Fairfield and Akers Acres in Bowdoinham, Maine. Not LaVallee and not Sabbattus."

I say Sabattus is great, it's in my top 3!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Birdie Member

A lot of locals (besides myself) will tell you to avoid Sabattus because of a "feud" going on between the owner and some players. Sabattus considers themselves white collar disc golfing, any many people take offense to that.

Quaker is ok, nothing great. LaVallee I haven't actually played but I hear the tougher course of the 3 on site is pretty picturesque. It actually might not even be open at this point because the course owner put it up for sale at the end of last year.

Honestly, hit the 3 I recommended and then mix n' mash any others along the route as you see fit. It's sort of out of your way but if you have time BAP Disc golf is a really fun (but not picturesque) course. Probably one of my favorites in the state.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:04 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
A lot of locals (besides myself) will tell you to avoid Sabattus because of a "feud" going on between the owner and some players. Sabattus considers themselves white collar disc golfing, any many people take offense to that.
As an out of state player the folks at Sabbattus and LaVallee both went out of their way to make us feel welcome and show us around, I don't know any of the situation in the local scene but it definitely didn't affect our enjoyment of the courses.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by discNDav View Post
I say Sabattus is great, it's in my top 3!
Really...???
I was far less impressed with Sabattus. It's great because it has multiple courses on one property, but that's about it. The golf is lacking in terms of "championship" quality... especially, considering its over-inflated rating.
DSCJNKY
Old 03-28-2013, 03:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Along I-95 in terms of quick on/off the highway (say under 10 minutes from ramp to parking lot), best choices are Dragan Field, Sabattus, CR Farm, Skyriders or Quaker Hill. If you take the I-295 loop from Portland to Augusta, that brings Ackers Acres and Enman Field into play as well. Tough to go wrong with whatever stops you make, really.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 74
Wow, it sounds like I may need to make more than one trip up North this summer! Keep the suggestions coming

Also - If any locals have recommendations for camp sites, brewerys, and other non-DG related fun, I'm all ears.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCJNKY View Post
Really...???
I was far less impressed with Sabattus. It's great because it has multiple courses on one property, but that's about it. The golf is lacking in terms of "championship" quality... especially, considering its over-inflated rating.
DSCJNKY
You serious? Granted the easier course isn't full of many surprises but the tougher one is a blast! Truly baffled you walked away from it thinking that.