http://www.dysarts.com/
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
You serious? Granted the easier course isn't full of many surprises but the tougher one is a blast! Truly baffled you walked away from it thinking that.
I'm more than serious....

When I travel, I travel to play the best of the best. Sabattus is rated 4.5-5 discs by more than half the reviewers... so I thought it was one of those "best-of-the-best" courses. Maybe as a destination (due to the ability to bag 3 courses in a far away state at one time), but not each course individually.

3 courses on one property don't mean that each individual course deserves inflated ratings because of the proximity of other courses. Awesome obelisk tee-sign posts and benches don't bump the disc score by that much. And, who cares if there's a pro-shop?... and why should that factor into the course's disc score.

The Eagle is at best a 4-disc course... there are easily 8-10 better courses in the Charlotte region. The courses at Sabattus are NOT championship level courses like: Maple Hill, Iron Hill, Nevin, Renny, WR Jackson, Idlewild, Warwick, etc... and therefore DO NOT deserve the 4.5-5 disc scores they receive. It's not even close.

So, "Yes... I am very serious".

DSCJNKY
Old 03-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCJNKY View Post
I'm more than serious....

When I travel, I travel to play the best of the best. Sabattus is rated 4.5-5 discs by more than half the reviewers... so I thought it was one of those "best-of-the-best" courses. Maybe as a destination (due to the ability to bag 3 courses in a far away state at one time), but not each course individually.

3 courses on one property don't mean that each individual course deserves inflated ratings because of the proximity of other courses. Awesome obelisk tee-sign posts and benches don't bump the disc score by that much. And, who cares if there's a pro-shop?... and why should that factor into the course's disc score.

The Eagle is at best a 4-disc course... there are easily 8-10 better courses in the Charlotte region. The courses at Sabattus are NOT championship level courses like: Maple Hill, Iron Hill, Nevin, Renny, WR Jackson, Idlewild, Warwick, etc... and therefore DO NOT deserve the 4.5-5 disc scores they receive. It's not even close.

So, "Yes... I am very serious".

DSCJNKY
Yeah I could see that. When compared to that level of course you're right, it doesn't hold up. Too bad that your expectations were so high that all you got out of the visit was disappointment. Sorry mang.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
I tend to agree. Sabattus is more of a fun destination for all levels than championship leval golf IMO. I like the complex and the eagle course has some challenge and cool holes but also some somewhat questionable lines, tweeners, and a slight hint of gimmick. The facilities are top notch and the diversity of the complex makes it a great destination though.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 83
Thank you for the suggestions! We are still looking for a place to stay in Bangor on July 3rd if anyone can help out (floor space, back yard, etc). Also – suggestions for camping in the Augusta area on the 5th and 6th would be much appreciated! PM if you’re shy.

We have a tentative list: DR, Troll, Porcupine, Quarry, CR Farm, Akers, Sabattus, Dragan.
We’ve decided to do the Woodland, BAP, Pleasant Hill loop on another trip.

Your help is much appreciated!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
I still think you should consider LaVallee, I think the golf is more challenging and varied there than at Sabbattus.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHFH
I just got home yesterday after a week long disc golf road trip to the Northeast. I thought Sabattus was very good but its definitely no Maple Hill, which I also played on this trip. To me the Hawk layout was the most challenging and fun but Sabattus has a sort of gimmicky feel to it that's hard to explain until you've played there. CR Farms was really fun with a good balance and variety of holes. My favorite course we played in Maine was Troll Valley which has onsite camping and used to be a cross country ski area so naturally the fairways are awesome and it has some good scenery and design.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahChristopher View Post
I just got home yesterday after a week long disc golf road trip to the Northeast. I thought Sabattus was very good but its definitely no Maple Hill, which I also played on this trip. To me the Hawk layout was the most challenging and fun but Sabattus has a sort of gimmicky feel to it that's hard to explain until you've played there. CR Farms was really fun with a good balance and variety of holes. My favorite course we played in Maine was Troll Valley which has onsite camping and used to be a cross country ski area so naturally the fairways are awesome and it has some good scenery and design.
Intreasting opinions. I'm intrigued that you fell in love with troll valley. I like it just fine but in my mind I lump it in with the other Western Maine courses, Cranberry Valley and Creative Recretions. All three are fairly technical, have am par's of close to 70, but in reality you are doing well to shoot under 50 at any of the 3 with 54 being in the respectable range. Their is a new course in Western Maine called Stevens Mountain View which is unlike any of the other three. Very open but longish and could be shot very low by someone who can crush.

I agree a bit about sabattus. I love the place but don't feel like the layouts are quite as dialed into particular skill levels as they could.

CR farms is great but frustrates me personally as I've never played well there. I feel as if it does a great job of appealing to competitive and recreational players, which is a tricky ballence but they managed to pull it off pretty well with a good mix of difficult holes and birdie opps.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 83
There wasn't enough time to fit in all the great courses you guys have up there. We ended up playing DR DG, Troll Valley, CR Farm, Porcupine Ridge, Burnsburo, and Aker's. Big thanks to Matt Enman, the Saywards, and Randy McD for having us!! Glow/LED golf at night was incredible. No ticks, poison ivy, or lost discs to report like we’re used to in Mass. The mosquitos up there love the taste of 100% DEET though. The flies are no joke either. Wowzers. All and all it was an incredible trip. Can’t wait to try out the rest of the gems up there. Thanks Maine!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
We do what we can.