Old 03-29-2013, 01:56 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
Twitter is way easier for a TD to use than text message- you just need to add a tag to your post instead of accurately getting dozens of phone numbers in your phone and setting up a group text. And people can look at what is being said on Twitter without signing up. I think I might use Twitter for the next tournament I TD- not as a primary but as a supplemental way of communicating.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 01:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 368
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
I was not aware of that rule change. It makes sense as in my opinion, data gathered from a range finder is of minimal value/impact.
Water carries would be the exception. Those totally mess with my perception of distance. And it's bad if you guess wrong.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:13 AM
Par Member

Obviously you haven't been to many tournaments. Most disc golfers live in their cars and cant afford this type of technology.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
This idea disgusts me. Get off your phones and live life! Such a social crutch these days. Seems people are scared to actually talk to one another now.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Down View Post
Obviously you haven't been to many tournaments. Most disc golfers live in their cars and cant afford this type of technology.
I guess the economic downturn did occur right after I stopped being a regular in the tournament scene (mid 2008). It truly is sad then how hard disc golfers where hit that caused this huge change! At least they can still afford cars....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjskier View Post
This idea disgusts me. Get off your phones and live life! Such a social crutch these days. Seems people are scared to actually talk to one another now.
I do not disagree with you at all on this....heck, I am the biggest offender in my family whom my wife and I are constantly trying to get off our dumb smartphones (and other electronics) when we should be enjoying time with each other.

But....how does that apply to this? How is it any different than people having their noses in pieces of paper reading the ground rules (or the rulebook or the schedule) rather than actually talking to one another?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Down View Post
It just occurred to me....for those who want to "move the sport forward" away from some of the negative connotations, it might be a really good thing to implement some of the new and really helpful technology that is easily accessible today (like Smartphones) more and get at least the tournament scene reputation changing towards something more socially mainstream/acceptable.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 138
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
What got me to think about this is that Henry Childres in Charlotte for an old guy tournament he is running is having the players meeting at 9 with a tee time of 10. That allows people to warm up and then transition right into playing without the whole warm down thing.....it takes seems to take forever to gather everyone for the meeting, have the meeting, travel across the course to your starting hole, and then have the 2 minute warning (often without any time at all to re-warm up).

This would almost accomplish the same thing in this aspect.

And it does not have as big a potential for logistical snafus the early players meeting has....it is good to have people close to tournament central if you have day-of sign-ups, wait lists, and group or hole re-ordering. But, if all the data is online....most of this can be communicated electronically or in the WebEx.
Yes, I agree with you on this idea. Meeting at 9, everyone get to where they are going by 9:30-9:40, and still have time to warm-up. Unfortunately, around here, a good number of people would skip the meeting altogether and go straight to the course.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkious View Post
Twitter is way easier for a TD to use than text message- you just need to add a tag to your post instead of accurately getting dozens of phone numbers in your phone and setting up a group text.
Agreed, but the point of a message is to get the message through. If a player doesn't have a smartphone or some other device that can connect to Twitter, any means that is easier on the TD is useless for that individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkious View Post
And people can look at what is being said on Twitter without signing up.
Again, they can only do that if they have a device that can access it.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHFH
I'm not a big fan of the smart phone player's meeting idea.

I don't like the idea of giving more power to the machines and removing some of the human element from an event.

I have no problem with supplemental info being passed on via Twitter or some such thing, but like many others have said, I leave my phone in the car and look forward to being away from technology while I'm out playing.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjskier View Post
Word.