Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
More distance with less reach back...

...is this something common?

Without posting a video (which I am too chicken to do, I know), I am finding lately that I am getting more (or at least, similar) distance and greater accuracy when I don't reach back as far on my drives. I think it is a timing issue with getting everything firing correctly on more of a reach back.

My questions here, then, is this: Is this something I should stick with, or should I keep trying to get everything in sync on the longer reach back? I definitely feel like I get the "hit" better when I keep it shorter and more compact. I feel a bit more explosive. Just curious for some thoughts from the experts. I am maxing at about 315 right now. Definitely not great.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 80
Yes, although it's all relative. If by reaching back you are rather leaning back that is typically bad. If you turn the hips back rather than lean back, it will feel like you aren't reaching back, but have much more hip turn and it will feel very compact but powerful.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Yes, although it's all relative. If by reaching back you are rather leaning back that is typically bad. If you turn the hips back rather than lean back, it will feel like you aren't reaching back, but have much more hip turn and it will feel very compact but powerful.
That's kind of what it feels like I am doing. More hips, less arm reach. Maybe if I keep focusing on the hip turn I will be able to get more distance from my legs, which are stronger than my arm anyway. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Sounds like you're benefiting from better timing by reaching back less. I get over zealous and do have to remind myself less is more.

If you haven't seen this: Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:52 PM
* Ace Member *

I have seen that, but it's certainly been awhile, thanks. I also needed a refresher on the weight shift stuff. Time to hit the field.