Old 04-08-2013, 11:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergdawg View Post
Lol, I love how people think there aren't people that are naturally good at throwing discs. Surely, the only people who can properly throw a disc are the ones who have spent the proper time on DGR and DGCR. LULZ!
I've never seen a single person step onto a course for the first time with a driver and just naturally be good at throwing it. I doubt highly that any pros were just born with great form. Most probably grew up playing some sort of frisbee sport and went through the "figuring out how to throw golf discs" phase way earlier than most.

I started playing like 5-6 years ago and like most people thence forth learned the hard way that speed 12 drivers (all there was back then) were pretty hard to learn how to throw. How many pros today started to play disc golf the same time or more recently? I'm guessing that most started playing disc golf before most of the really fast discs came out and therefor never fell into that cycle.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I've never seen a single person step onto a course for the first time with a driver and just naturally be good at throwing it. I doubt highly that any pros were just born with great form. Most probably grew up playing some sort of frisbee sport and went through the "figuring out how to throw golf discs" phase way earlier than most.

I started playing like 5-6 years ago and like most people thence forth learned the hard way that speed 12 drivers (all there was back then) were pretty hard to learn how to throw. How many pros today started to play disc golf the same time or more recently? I'm guessing that most started playing disc golf before most of the really fast discs came out and therefor never fell into that cycle.
Pretty sure the whole "disc down" idea is an outdated concept. I'm not sure on the specifics, but I'm guessing that whole fad started when all the faster discs were overstable. Now, that high speed discs are getting to understable molds, it's a moot point. **** that stupid ****.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I've never seen a single person step onto a course for the first time with a driver and just naturally be good at throwing it. I doubt highly that any pros were just born with great form.
I have a few times. Lets not get carried away with our sport here, fellas. It's still throwing a frisbee. Most of us may suck at it, but it takes a lot less natural athletic ability to succeed at this sport than most. It's a fact. It's kind of like a dart player saying no one could ever hit bulls eyes without practicing the perfect stroke.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:53 AM
Banned

I remember going to Augusta for the NCDGC a few years back to caddy for a buddy. One of the leaders had only been playing a few months and was rated over 1000. That shoots a giant whole in your argument.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:56 AM
Bending Rodriguez

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 94
Send a message via AIM to B3NDER
Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
Although it does kinda suck when it's coming straight at you and you can't see it because it's so thin and it hits you in the face.
That's what she said...
Old 06-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.4
Courses Played: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
My argument in this thread is that it is all about the essentially static angle of the wrist at release and an minuscule at best affect due to vertical speed imparted to the edge of the disc (cause by wrist and/or arm and/or back motion) at the release.
Dave,

First, I totally agree with you in what you have said about OAT.

Second, I bet many, many discs, perhaps the majority, wobble at the start of their flight.

Third, I think you need to consult a dictionary about the difference between the verb affect (to produce an effect upon) and the noun effect.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergdawg View Post
I remember going to Augusta for the NCDGC a few years back to caddy for a buddy. One of the leaders had only been playing a few months and was rated over 1000. That shoots a giant whole in your argument.
How many rated rounds did he have in that timeframe
Old 06-27-2014, 12:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
How many rated rounds did he have in that timeframe
I don't think bergdawg will be answering you.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 56
Lulz, read the date, and didnt pay attn to the year. Was thinking to myself, 'i thought he was perma banned' lol

Old 06-27-2014, 12:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I don't think bergdawg will be answering you.
The Berg has spoken. His word is final.