Old 03-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
... I assume the stick you speak of is beating a dead horse. Is that correct? ...
Not at all. It's the one you seem to have been swinging at the folks stopping by to discuss, and share their knowledge about your question.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Oh....OK. My apologies to all where my disagreement with explanations given me sounded harsh. That is not my point.....or my personality. My main goal is to discuss concepts/definitions, rather than to name call or hurt feelings of others in the discussion.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Oh....OK. My apologies to all where my disagreement with explanations given me sounded harsh. That is not my point.....or my personality. My main goal is to discuss concepts/definitions, rather than to name call or hurt feelings of others in the discussion.
Doo doo head
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteezeOG View Post
Whatever you decide to call it more people need to accept that's their problem. I always enjoy a player telling me that driver is too flippy for his barely 400ft arm when I watch people with good form struggle to even flip one up straight on a five hundred foot toss.
One of my many problems in my throwing motion is that I have a goofy air-bounce hitch from some remnant of Frisbee throwing in my Ultimate background. It causes me only to be able to throw understable stuff for distance (Starfires, Sidewinders, Beasts, and Orcs).

I would call it "out of plane motion" or "out of line pull-through" (or something descriptive/intuitive like that), but I suppose the experts would call it OAT ......but I still love disc golf!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
Doo doo head
Old 03-29-2013, 01:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 81
Quote:
One of my many problems in my throwing motion is that I have a goofy air-bounce hitch from some remnant of Frisbee throwing in my Ultimate background. It causes me only to be able to throw understable stuff for distance (Starfires, Sidewinders, Beasts, and Orcs).

I would call it "out of plane motion" or "out of line pull-through" (or something descriptive/intuitive like that), but I suppose the experts would call it OAT ......but I still love disc golf!
Airbouncing is typically a resultant of arm swooping. You are keeping the disc parallel to the ground, but your pull through is sweeping from high to low and releasing as it's lowering.

Picture the desent of a conastoga wagon ride at Six Flags:

Last edited by jrawk; 03-29-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Quote:
......but I still love disc golf!
Me too, despite my ineptness at it most days. I just have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when I play with someone who will throw an overstable driver with bad form or on an anny line and act shocked when it goes right immediately. Especially when they let out a scream about flipping it or turning it over cause it's a turd. It's not the driver, it's just you, is what I want to say but I usually keep quiet unless asked. A friend I play with throws the ugliest putter upshot with a little wrist flick on an anny line. When it turns out bad he likes to scream "grip lock!" I regret ever informing him of the term. He has no idea what it actually is.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
i think you are ignoring the influence of gyroscopic forces
Not really, it will gyro on both axes in outer space ignoring drag and the disc will never veer off its initial trajectory. The benefits of gyro really only affect discs due to drag stabilizing the spin to one axis.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
Airbouncing is typically a resultant of arm swooping.

I sometimes suffer from this disease as well. It's the worst thing to see a drive you think was thrown perfectly suddenly climb up or drop down into some tree branches over hanging the fairway.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
This is the basis for the Beato Rail. I believe.

I'd call it "Off-Planar Torque" personally, but I'm not sure if that would be any more correct than OAT. Either way, if you can get a feel for it, and then see it in disc flight, you can usually figure out what it is and how to correct it. Which is kind of why no one really worries about terms being completely innaccurate. Understanding terms didn't matter to us until we felt it, and after we felt it we could call it whatever we want.
The beto rail has nothing to do off axis torque. It increases on axis torque. This is why I tell people to keep their reachback wide, so the disc can swing into and then out from the core changing direction and accelerate faster.