Old 03-28-2013, 01:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 368
Throwing Style: LHBH
Virtual Players meetings....Smartphones at tournaments

Has anyone messed around with the idea of using Smartphones to replace players meetings?

If there was a way to ensure that there was a smartphone in every 4-some (or group), could you imagine having a WebEx at your tee for the players meeting and then teeing off shortly after?

Also, all info could easily be made available as far as ground rules, maps, rules, 2nd round tee times, even weather delay issues. Are TD's currently doing this (I'm a little out of the loop)?

Scoring keeping/reporting would be cool too....but that's a whole other discussion.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Keep it old school. Don't take away the fellowship of the player's meeting by a bunch of phones.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 75
I've been kicking around a similar idea in my head. One of these days I'll actually sit down and create it.

Essentially it does what you've said. Allows each card to upload scores and get hole-by-hole caddy notes and maps.

Last edited by bradharris; 03-28-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 36
This is an awesome idea!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Keep it old school. Don't take away the fellowship of the player's meeting by a bunch of phones.
Very valid consideration.....that is an important element of the overall tournament experience to some. I certainly do enjoy it personally.....but for some (many?), the players meeting is a major aggravation. That includes plenty of TDs who would complain that no one listens anyways since they all seem busy "fellowshipping"
Old 03-28-2013, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Very valid consideration.....that is an important element of the overall tournament experience to some. I certainly do enjoy it personally.....but for some (many?), the players meeting is a major aggravation. That includes plenty of TDs who would complain that no one listens anyways since they all seem busy "fellowshipping"
That's true too. I'm looking at it from a player's POV, having never been a TD myself.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 30
I would say that would be an awesome supplement to the player's meeting. No one is really paying attention, and often can't hear anyway.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:44 PM
* Ace Member *

What got me to think about this is that Henry Childres in Charlotte for an old guy tournament he is running is having the players meeting at 9 with a tee time of 10. That allows people to warm up and then transition right into playing without the whole warm down thing.....it takes seems to take forever to gather everyone for the meeting, have the meeting, travel across the course to your starting hole, and then have the 2 minute warning (often without any time at all to re-warm up).

This would almost accomplish the same thing in this aspect.

And it does not have as big a potential for logistical snafus the early players meeting has....it is good to have people close to tournament central if you have day-of sign-ups, wait lists, and group or hole re-ordering. But, if all the data is online....most of this can be communicated electronically or in the WebEx.

Last edited by Dave242; 03-28-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 166
I am always surprised by how technophobic so many disc golfers are.

I played a casual round with two guys I met at the first tee and after our second round together I asked them to shoot me an e-mail or text the next time they were heading out to play and no joke neither of them had a cell phone or an e-mail address!

I think the socio-economic make up of the participants of our game/sport might not be conducive to this kind of an idea.

Just playing devils advocate since posting this on an internet forum probably means that you will get an inflated amount positive responses to the idea (technology users presumably being the readers of the forum). I personally like the idea.

Just my two cents.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 119
It's an interesting concept. Doubt it is anything that will catch on as common even with the right app.

I would think it would also have to be a course with excellent reception in all areas. I know around here, there are courses that are far enough off the beaten path, with enough elevation and foliage to have good sized dead zones on various parts of the course. Info would have to be downloadable and storable on the phone rather than reliant on signal (i.e. no last minute announcements or weather delay type stuff).

Not being a fan of long drawn out players meetings (as a TD or as a player), anything that simplifies the process is a step in the right direction for me. It's the biggest reason I create and print a detailed tournament program/caddybook for my larger events. It is essentially a substitute for the players meeting, so that when the players gather around the scoreboard and scorecards are dispersed, we can do a brief Q&A about anything that is unclear from the program.