#21  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is online now
Putters! Putters! Putters!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 8,673
Thank you for recommendation David. I definitely want to play Sugaree as I've read nothing but good about it. Any suggestions for companion courses?

I also noticed that Sugaree is marked as unplayable until March 30. Is it open but just hasn't been updated yet, or is there's something else going on that's kept it closed?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:18 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Posts: 6,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Thank you for recommendation David. I definitely want to play Sugaree as I've read nothing but good about it. Any suggestions for companion courses?

I also noticed that Sugaree is marked as unplayable until March 30. Is it open but just hasn't been updated yet, or is there's something else going on that's kept it closed?
Just speculation, but it's on a mountaintop and between bad winter weather and fallen trees, I don't think Rich opens it in winter. This has been an unusually cold and wet winter, so he may be delayed, or may not have gotten around to it yet. Rich updates his course info fairly often, so I'd just keep looking.

And yes, you really want to play Sugaree. As for companions, besides Ashe County? There are some other private courses in the area which are well-reputed, but I haven't played them.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM
rd.bittle's Avatar
rd.bittle rd.bittle is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central OK
Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
You gotta go big when you're far from home, I would much rather be good and tired at the end of the day than skip some great courses.

This. Definately.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:32 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Posts: 6,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
How far is it from Greenville to Stoney Hill?
About 1:15 from Timmons. And I think it's only slightly longer from Stoney Hill to Rock Hill than Greenville to Rock Hill, so making this detour will add 1 1/2 hours or so to your total drive.

Note that Stoney Hill is at its raggedest in late May. We get everything groomed for a tournament in April.....then for a couple of weeks, we don't have any grass to cut....then suddenly, it ALL needs cutting at once, which can't be done. It won't be lose-your-disc high, but may be 1' high in some places at that time of year.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:44 PM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is online now
Putters! Putters! Putters!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 8,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
About 1:15 from Timmons. And I think it's only slightly longer from Stoney Hill to Rock Hill than Greenville to Rock Hill, so making this detour will add 1 1/2 hours or so to your total drive.

Note that Stoney Hill is at its raggedest in late May. We get everything groomed for a tournament in April.....then for a couple of weeks, we don't have any grass to cut....then suddenly, it ALL needs cutting at once, which can't be done. It won't be lose-your-disc high, but may be 1' high in some places at that time of year.
Hrmm. Talk about some rotten timing! Thank you for that tidbit. I will definitely take it into consideration.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:13 PM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is online now
Putters! Putters! Putters!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 8,673
After some extra correspondence with Mr. Sauls, it looks like Stoney Hill will be on the list! Now to find out how Sugaree is doing...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 PM
BirdmanCR's Avatar
BirdmanCR BirdmanCR is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: charlotte
Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 28
Posts: 1,753
When/if you come hit me up.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NC
Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 11,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
And yes, you really want to play Sugaree. As for companions, besides Ashe County? There are some other private courses in the area which are well-reputed, but I haven't played them.
Highland Hills is pretty good for a quick jaunt from Ashe Co. There are some other privates in that area and unfortunately I've only played one of them, Black Jack, but it is awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:43 PM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is online now
Putters! Putters! Putters!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 8,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Highland Hills is pretty good for a quick jaunt from Ashe Co. There are some other privates in that area and unfortunately I've only played one of them, Black Jack, but it is awesome.
Is Black Jack unlisted? I would love to be privy to some of the hidden gems, but I understand if people want to keep them hidden.

Also, no one has mentioned whether or not Harmon Hills is still playable. I would love to play it if it's at all possible.
Reply With Quote
 
  

  #30  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 PM
bergdawg bergdawg is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greenville
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
There are some other privates in that area and unfortunately I've only played one of them.
Talk about playing with other people's privates somewhere else.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.