Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Putters! Putters! Putters!

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: LHFH
Thank you for recommendation David. I definitely want to play Sugaree as I've read nothing but good about it. Any suggestions for companion courses?

I also noticed that Sugaree is marked as unplayable until March 30. Is it open but just hasn't been updated yet, or is there's something else going on that's kept it closed?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Thank you for recommendation David. I definitely want to play Sugaree as I've read nothing but good about it. Any suggestions for companion courses?

I also noticed that Sugaree is marked as unplayable until March 30. Is it open but just hasn't been updated yet, or is there's something else going on that's kept it closed?
Just speculation, but it's on a mountaintop and between bad winter weather and fallen trees, I don't think Rich opens it in winter. This has been an unusually cold and wet winter, so he may be delayed, or may not have gotten around to it yet. Rich updates his course info fairly often, so I'd just keep looking.

And yes, you really want to play Sugaree. As for companions, besides Ashe County? There are some other private courses in the area which are well-reputed, but I haven't played them.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
You gotta go big when you're far from home, I would much rather be good and tired at the end of the day than skip some great courses.

This. Definately.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
How far is it from Greenville to Stoney Hill?
About 1:15 from Timmons. And I think it's only slightly longer from Stoney Hill to Rock Hill than Greenville to Rock Hill, so making this detour will add 1 1/2 hours or so to your total drive.

Note that Stoney Hill is at its raggedest in late May. We get everything groomed for a tournament in April.....then for a couple of weeks, we don't have any grass to cut....then suddenly, it ALL needs cutting at once, which can't be done. It won't be lose-your-disc high, but may be 1' high in some places at that time of year.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
About 1:15 from Timmons. And I think it's only slightly longer from Stoney Hill to Rock Hill than Greenville to Rock Hill, so making this detour will add 1 1/2 hours or so to your total drive.

Note that Stoney Hill is at its raggedest in late May. We get everything groomed for a tournament in April.....then for a couple of weeks, we don't have any grass to cut....then suddenly, it ALL needs cutting at once, which can't be done. It won't be lose-your-disc high, but may be 1' high in some places at that time of year.
Hrmm. Talk about some rotten timing! Thank you for that tidbit. I will definitely take it into consideration.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:13 PM

After some extra correspondence with Mr. Sauls, it looks like Stoney Hill will be on the list! Now to find out how Sugaree is doing...
Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 28
When/if you come hit me up.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
And yes, you really want to play Sugaree. As for companions, besides Ashe County? There are some other private courses in the area which are well-reputed, but I haven't played them.
Highland Hills is pretty good for a quick jaunt from Ashe Co. There are some other privates in that area and unfortunately I've only played one of them, Black Jack, but it is awesome.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Highland Hills is pretty good for a quick jaunt from Ashe Co. There are some other privates in that area and unfortunately I've only played one of them, Black Jack, but it is awesome.
Is Black Jack unlisted? I would love to be privy to some of the hidden gems, but I understand if people want to keep them hidden.

Also, no one has mentioned whether or not Harmon Hills is still playable. I would love to play it if it's at all possible.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
There are some other privates in that area and unfortunately I've only played one of them.
Talk about playing with other people's privates somewhere else.