Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 167
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thanks bdodson and sizarack!! PackExpo a Packaging Industry Show September 23-25. I might be able to fly in Sunday morning, play Sunday. Since it will be for business the flight is paid, maybe then I would just get the car for a day and pay Sunday nights hotel room.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 167
Peccole Ranch looks nice.....but holy cow, could the walking path be in play any more :-)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 25
I went to Vegas in November 2012 with the intention of allocating one of our 4 days to DG.

Like others have suggested, consider renting a car.

We rented a car and split it 3 ways, which made it somewhat reasonable. We played Sunset, Red Ridge, and Mountain Crest Park. Mountain Crest was my favorite of the 3, but felt like it was the farthest from the strip. Definitely could not have done this without renting a car. Cab would have been way more expensive. I believe that we paid ~$80 for a Nissan Altima, plus gas.

The worst thing about the day was the wind. Holy crap, were there strong gusts!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 12
http://lvbagtag.com For more local info.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Chain View Post
I don't think Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard will be open (it's an hour away on Mt Charleston, at 8000 feet) at that point, but if it is, it's far and away the best course in the area. It will be 30 degrees cooler there than in Vegas.
FWIW, I played there in late September 2012 and it was open, but we had to walk/hike up to Hole #1 because the lift was closed. Here's a couple of random pics from the mountain...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1969.jpg (147.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1972.jpg (153.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 106
Good pics from the mountain. Yeah, the baskets will probably still be in at that point. How long did it take you to climb the mountain? That's quite a hike.

1978, Peccole Ranch is very different than the other Vegas courses, for what it's worth. There are many holes where your only real shot is a low show underneath the trees that will maybe get you halfway to the hole. It does emphasize accuracy, which is great, but on some holes there really is not a fairway. And yes, the sidewalk comes into play on nearly every hole. But I played on Labor Day last year and it wasn't too crowded with pedestrians.

Oh, and the chances of losing a disc in someone's yard is pretty high.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Chain View Post
Good pics from the mountain. Yeah, the baskets will probably still be in at that point. How long did it take you to climb the mountain? That's quite a hike.

1978, Peccole Ranch is very different than the other Vegas courses, for what it's worth. There are many holes where your only real shot is a low show underneath the trees that will maybe get you halfway to the hole. It does emphasize accuracy, which is great, but on some holes there really is not a fairway. And yes, the sidewalk comes into play on nearly every hole. But I played on Labor Day last year and it wasn't too crowded with pedestrians.

Oh, and the chances of losing a disc in someone's yard is pretty high.
I think it took us about an hour...maybe 1.5 hours. Bdodson may remember better than me since one of his kids also hiked up to the top with us.

FWIW, I also enjoyed Peccole Ranch. It is certainly a unique disc golf experience. I was very happy to get through the round without losing any plastic. It's a good opportunity to work on rollers.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:19 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
I think I threw more forehand roller drives at Peccole than I had in the entire last year.