Disc Golf Store
Old 07-14-2013, 03:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Man, really happy with the Opto Fury I picked up this week.

Christened it with a glow round on Friday night, and it was holding some really nice lines. It handles an anny with a nice flex out at the end, and released flat it can go nice and straight, with very little turn and about a 1.5 fade.

Took it out during the day today, and it continued to impress. There were a couple times I didn't get the hit on it right, and it hyzered out a little early. However, it still glided far on these throws. And when I did get it right, this thing just bombed. Birdied a hole I never had before, and put myself in really good position on a few tricky holes just because it is so easy to be accurate with. I think I am going to try and beat the crap out of this Opto before trying a GL, but this definitely is my new workhorse.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: -0.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
Man, really happy with the Opto Fury I picked up this week.

Christened it with a glow round on Friday night, and it was holding some really nice lines. It handles an anny with a nice flex out at the end, and released flat it can go nice and straight, with very little turn and about a 1.5 fade.

Took it out during the day today, and it continued to impress. There were a couple times I didn't get the hit on it right, and it hyzered out a little early. However, it still glided far on these throws. And when I did get it right, this thing just bombed. Birdied a hole I never had before, and put myself in really good position on a few tricky holes just because it is so easy to be accurate with. I think I am going to try and beat the crap out of this Opto before trying a GL, but this definitely is my new workhorse.
Glow round?
You running lights on that baby?
What kind of set up, and how did it affect its flight?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc View Post
Glow round?
You running lights on that baby?
What kind of set up, and how did it affect its flight?
Yep, a coin battery, LED and reinforced packing tape. Seemed to fly pretty true still. Put me in line for a couple birdies...but putting at night is not my strong suit.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Onemile, what weight were you throwing in Opto, I might want to give these a try as the way you described the flight with different release angles seems similar to the results I would be getting. Very helpful, thank you.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 16
New lightweight Renegade just came in. If it beats the Fury in field tests, it will be the fasted disc I'm going to carry for a while. Fury will still get all distance throws where going right will not kill me or result in a lost disc.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
Onemile, what weight were you throwing in Opto, I might want to give these a try as the way you described the flight with different release angles seems similar to the results I would be getting. Very helpful, thank you.
167, lightest I could find. It definitely still has some stability and fades a bit more than I would like on a flat release, but if you have some room to work with it is good. Goes nice and straight on a low line and shines on an anny. I'm really impressed.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 29
I had a massive throw with a Fury this weekend. Left to right cross wind. I aimed 2-300 feet left of the pin and sent out a hyzer flip

It flipped up, caught the wind and just carried right amazingly

It went much further than my Tresspass that I had sent out on an anny

This is the first disc in a long time that I have been really truly impressed with. Hyzer flip to flat for long straight shots in a tailwind, great for anhyzers, and distance shots as well in the right circumstance

If I can make a Renegade do the same thing but go further (cause if the speed) I will be a very happy man

I should also mention I had some very fun shots with a 172 TP Tursas. Hyzer to the left of target flip up and ride out some height, and just when you think it's going to fade it turns right and glides out in a slow right turn
Old 07-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU View Post
This is the first disc in a long time that I have been really truly impressed with. Hyzer flip to flat for long straight shots in a tailwind, great for anhyzers, and distance shots as well in the right circumstance

If I can make a Renegade do the same thing but go further (cause if the speed) I will be a very happy man
Just got back from the soccer field throwing a few old and new discs to compare. Overall longest throw? Fury. If given points over the course of all throws(back and forth, so some into and some down wind) the Renagade would probably have won. it's an easier to throw Tern for me right now. I have no idea how I am going to set up my drivers now because the Escape I got to be the more stable compliment to my Fury is not really any more stable than the Fury. I need a few more sessions to work this out, and have a new, never thrown Escape on the way.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 29
Granted I am at altitude but my Escapes are no where near my Fury in terms of stability.

I can hyzer flip an Escape into a headwind, but in normal conditions the Escape is much more HSS and LSS than a Fury (for me).

That said there is a bit of turn in an Escape but not the kind where it could turn right for all of its flight like a Fury.

They would pair well together (although I chose to use heavy VIP Stags as a compliment at a tourney this last weekend)

Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

That's what I was hoping for, but it just is not happening with this particular Escape. It's used, and may have been a tree disc. I really feel like I ended up with a Fury on the stable side of normal and an Escape on the understable side of normal. New one from Dynamic any day now.