Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 204
Throwing Style: RHBH
you're gonna get 900 answers that vary from person to person. Your best bet is to find a store and feel the plastic and discs and find what feels best. The Mcpros are P&A aviars with KC pro plastic. Pretty Stiff and Slick and would work well if thats what you are already getting used to.

As far as gateway plastic, "Officially" the order from stiffest to most flexible is around the lines of Medium/Soft/SuperSoft/SuperStupidSoft/SSSS/RFL(I may have forgotten one). But the grip will vary a ton as well as how stiff the plastic is no matter which one of these you find. You may find a SS that is softer than a SSS and is slick and on the same shelf find one that is REALLY stiff and grippy and find others with more random combos. When it comes to Gateway buying in person is key so you can feel the plastic and know what you're getting.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 18
I've gone through so many putters in my quest for a great push putt disc and you really only need to look for two things.

1. The Feel. How does it feel in your hands. Does it feel good to throw. Do you like something very grippy or with a little slickness. It's all in the feel. Find a plastic that feels good to you.

2. Don't get something floppy. A firm putter works best because it doesn't give as much when the disc is springing off your fingers but you don't need that could double as a ceramic plate. As long as you can't fold it in half you're probably OK. I can pitch putt with anything but something you can't taco has a more consistent and better release.

I've gone through Magics, Wizards, Voodoos, Warlocks from SSS to G9i super firm stuff. I've tried Aviars and Ridges and a lot in between. Right now I use an MVP medium neutron Anode that I like a lot. I'll also break out my SSS (which feels like a S) Voodoo because that disc feels so good in my hands. The only real difference inside the circle is what I feel confident in.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 56
OP, what kind of stability/glide are you wanting?

You can eliminate many options by answering that.

(I only read page 1 so if you did answer that, sorry)
Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Uhhhhh, don't listen to anyone that doesn't mention getting a firm putter for push/pitch putts. Going as firm as you can is #1 priority for this type of putt, the general consensus is that a stiff wizard is the best disc you can buy for this putt. If the disc has any sort of give on the flight plate whatsoever it will **** up your putts, you need to have something that's flight plate is stiff as a board with 0 give.

Unfortunately they stopped making super stiff wizards but you can still find some stiff Warlocks, at least for now.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 AM

Courses Played: 9
Anything stable (not neutral or understable) and firm should be useful for push putts. I would just pick a mold that you have a clean release with. I prefer soft chalky Wizards, but your milage is guaranteed to vary.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart View Post
Uhhhhh, don't listen to anyone that doesn't mention getting a firm putter for push/pitch putts. Going as firm as you can is #1 priority for this type of putt, the general consensus is that a stiff wizard is the best disc you can buy for this putt. If the disc has any sort of give on the flight plate whatsoever it will **** up your putts, you need to have something that's flight plate is stiff as a board with 0 give.

Unfortunately they stopped making super stiff wizards but you can still find some stiff Warlocks, at least for now.
I disagree that a stiff putter is absolutely necessary. I've push putted with putters of various stiffness. It's true that stiff putter can be easier, but it's not a must have if you don't like the grip of stiff putters like M wizards or KC Aviars.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 16
What type of putt are the people using that carry the really floppy putters?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
What type of putt are the people using that carry the really floppy putters?
More than likely they are spin putters.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart View Post

I did a 1/2 hour of putting practice at lunch today using a SSS Voodoo, Medium Anode, SS Eraser Magic, G9i Wizard, and a Firm Warlock.

Out of 200 putts from 10-20 feet I missed 9 and most of those were direct center of chains spit outs.

Out of all my practice from further out the only thing you need is a firmish putter. I wanted quite a few weeks with my G9i which I didn't like the feel of but forced myself to use because the firmer the better mantra. In practice, there's more to it.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowracks View Post
More than likely they are horrible putters.
Haha. FTFY.

I kid, I kid. I am exclusively a pitch/push putter b/c I've never been able to be consistent outside of 10 feet trying to spin it. But then again, I'm not a strong putter anyway, but I'm trying to get better. A straddle pitch just feels more natural to me.

The putter that will work for you is the one that you're confident in and that starts with how it feels in your hand. You really do just have to pick a few up and see, but I also think that a stiffer, overstable putter in general is the best type of disc for this style of putt. Gateway most likely makes a putter for you, but they're so all over the place that it's hard to figure out. What I look for is:

1. Bead or No Bead, that is the question. For me a bead tucked into my index finger feels right. Some people hate beads. That's important to think about.

2. Deep Dish or Shallow. I prefer a shallow profile most of the time. Others prefer a more old school deep feel. Pick up a few to feel the difference, it really can make all the difference in the world.

3. Finally, grip. Self explanatory.

For all those reasons I picked up a few Classic Judges from Dynamic and they work well for my style inside/around the circle. Outside the circle a Soft Proton Ion is great. It's a deeper profile, but glides 15' farther with the same effort.

Good luck finding your fave. There's so many choices that it's overwhelming, but I hope you find something that works for you.