Old 06-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Question Backpack for a middle aged dude????

I think I'm finally ready to convert my Innova Competition bag into my night round bag. That puts me in the market for a new back pack! I'm considering the Voodoo Spinal Tap, Prodiscus and Gorilla Boy Simian. I've glanced at the 2nd run Contender, some of the bags from Upper Park Design and Hyzer Bomb.

What I'm looking for is something that maxes out around 20 discs since I usually carry in the 15-18 range ( 4-5 putters, 3 mids, 4-5 FWD and 4 drivers). I'll be 40 in a few months so I'm not looking to lug around the heaviest bag on the market although I do want something with adequate storage for food, drinks, towels, clothing, etc. I've tried reading some of the threads for the above bags but after awhile my head spins for information over load. If I had to name a front runner right now I would say the Simian. I love that it eliminates the need for me to carry a chair during tourneys but the design & the way it looks makes me think it wouldn't be very comfortable on the back. It looks pretty rigid. Voodoo would be second but it looks like a pretty large bag.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

My frame:
5'8"
180lbs.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 07:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
I'm your same height and weigh about 15 less, and I really dig my Big Hyzer Ergo. Vertical alignment like the Simian. Easily holds 20+ discs and has extra storage. And, it is super light with mega thick straps. I'd give it a look see.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 18
I think the Spinal Tap is too big for you.

I've heard some good things about the Ergo and I'm thinking about getting one to test myself, but I'd like to see them make some corrections to the parts that worry me the most (aluminum frame poking through bottom, no handle on top for those short 30ft walks to the next tree you hit, and a few others).

I think the Grip (L or A series) is the bag for you. It's tested, and it's passed all the tests. I hold 5 putters, 5 mids and 10 drivers most of the time and it's not crammed or loose. That's with four putters not in the main compartment. I think it's a little more comfortable than the ST as well.

I shot a video comparing the two and I should have it uploaded in the next 536 mins if you want to take a look.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 32
I've never played a full round with the simian but I have tried one on an it's more comfortable than it looks. With that said I personally would go with the Prodiscus, but if the spinal tap is too large then it most deffinetly will be. I second the motion of the Ergo.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Ranger! [/thread]
Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. America View Post
Ranger! [/thread]
I couldn't explain it better myself...
Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleC8601 View Post
I think the Spinal Tap is too big for you.

I've heard some good things about the Ergo and I'm thinking about getting one to test myself, but I'd like to see them make some corrections to the parts that worry me the most (aluminum frame poking through bottom, no handle on top for those short 30ft walks to the next tree you hit, and a few others).

I think the Grip (L or A series) is the bag for you. It's tested, and it's passed all the tests. I hold 5 putters, 5 mids and 10 drivers most of the time and it's not crammed or loose. That's with four putters not in the main compartment. I think it's a little more comfortable than the ST as well.

I shot a video comparing the two and I should have it uploaded in the next 536 mins if you want to take a look.
Just to clarify, the aluminum frame poking through the bottom of the Ergo is just a concern. I don't think it's actually happened.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. America View Post
Ranger! [/thread]
What I was going to suggest. Packed full in the main compartment it holds 18-20 depending on what you carry. The side putter pocket is pretty awesome. The umbrella/camp time stool holder is a nice feature. The top compartment is a nice size. I have 4 putters, a couple minis, my retriever, and a birdie bag up there at the moment. During a round yesterday I took my hat off and put it in the top compartment and it fit. With every thing I have in it, it's still REALLY light weight. The padded back is awesome. Overall it's well worth the $175. DD gives free shipping with orders of over $100 too so that's pretty sweet. I'd look in to it.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
Just to clarify, the aluminum frame poking through the bottom of the Ergo is just a concern. I don't think it's actually happened.
Yes. I didn't mean to say it was something that has happened and wasn't speaking for the masses, just a concern of mine.

Edit: also these concerns of mine are not a first person account...just the regurgitation of the concerns of some Ergo owners(in the Ergo thread).

Last edited by TripleC8601; 06-03-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
My fiancee and I both have Simians, and we both really love them. They hold enough discs (fewer than many of the other backpack bags, but at 15-18 you'll have plenty of space) and a ton of other stuff. They have a huge area under the discs that's big enough for a large hoodie, plus two big side pockets, a bunch of small pockets and a hidden zipper pocket up under the stool for keys/wallet/phone. Also, it's a seat which is great on long days where you wouldn't want to be carrying around a stool all day but it's nice to have one when you're stopped at a tee.