Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-25-2017, 10:06 AM

Default To switch or to not switch? New discs or form practice?

I have been throwing an Avenger SS around 260-280 and am not converting it into a roller/ anhyzer disc. As I have done that I have gone to using an innova sidewinder and a leopard3 for my main drivers. The sidewnder is still somewhat oversstable, but I can get an extra 20 past the avenger and the leopard 3 I can match the Avenger SS on a good day.

I have taken up the putter challenge to help my drives. This is by using putters prior to driving and it has helped quite a bit. Now I have been using my Avenger SS throw to show my body how to throw the other drivers I have correctly instead and it is helping.

I haven't had a problem with the Discraft driver and have enjoyed it the most, I enjoyed the Surge SS when I found it in a field for some time but I could not get it to go straight or too much into the air. I now however think I could throw that one more level and with more whip. Is it too far-fetched to want to switch to throwing Discraft drivers like the Spectra, Nuke or Surge SS?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2017, 10:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH

At your distance anything faster than an avenger isn't going to help. In fact just use putters and mids until you're hitting 250' with your putters then pick up drivers again. Throwing putters well is probably the best skill you can learn in disc golf.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 74

If you can match your current distance with a slower disc (Leopard VS the Avenger SS) then that tells me that speed might be more suitable for your current form. Maybe pick up a Teebird to compliment the Leopard, and use that for wind fighting and the Leopard for most drives. Then keep working the putters and mids when you can to build fundamentals that will help you drive the faster discs. Everything you do with the slow discs will help you with throwing faster discs...it might sound counter-intuitive, but it works.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

When you're limited to ~300' then disc choice won't really add more...it's just how it goes at that stage of form. By all means try some discs if you want to, to get used to the rim widths and flight stabilities, but don't expect more distance. Sidewinders can be some of the longest discs out there for most players, whether they throw 300' or 350'+ (typical ranges for most players)...just they aren't as tolerant of wind conditions as faster discs.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
When you're limited to ~300' then disc choice won't really add more...it's just how it goes at that stage of form. By all means try some discs if you want to, to get used to the rim widths and flight stabilities, but don't expect more distance. Sidewinders can be some of the longest discs out there for most players, whether they throw 300' or 350'+ (typical ranges for most players)...just they aren't as tolerant of wind conditions as faster discs.
I'm pretty athletic and I have been working on my form/playing the game for around 3 years now. I'm curious what is even the possibilities of throwing 300+ or if that is my upper limit. I'm 5'9, 193, with a short inseam and tall upper torso. Unfortunately I didn't get much longer arms either. Any thoughts?

I made the plunge tonight, I bought a dart and a roc 3 (which is kind of rimmed like a putter). I'm going to practice midrange and putters this month and see what happens. I will also use my trusty R-pro pink pig and challenger dis-craft putter. If I show sizable gains I will purchase a Teebird or some discraft driver equivalent. I may go that way for drivers soon. I will keep the Avenger SS and Leopard 3. The Avenger SS has become a new roller disc for me.

Last edited by lovebecause; 03-25-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:41 AM
* Ace Member *

^Anyone without physical issues and in normal age/health I believe should be capable of throwing 450'+ IMO. I do not, and I do not have perfect form. I am very average size and throw 400'+/- and have hit 430-450' on occasion. That being said I am meaning perfect form, and that is not easy for most people to attain. Filming, advice, etc. is typically needed...along with time.

It's very attainable for normal people to get to the 350-400' range with decent form.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 29

I was throwing 325-350 after playing 2 months straight of putters only. Prior to that I was lucky to hit 300. Size and build is not as big an issue as smooth form.

Yoga helps a lot, btw. I'm injured right now, and can't do Yoga, but every time I do even a little extra stretching, I get at least 25' more on my average drives.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8

When I first saw the title of the thread, the answer that came to mind was "BOTH!"

Of course we all should work on form; that's never-ending and even the pros practice it a lot. As far as new discs... "new" doesn't necessarily mean discing up to higher speeds. If you like Discraft, stay with that Avenger SS (I'm bagging one now) and keep working with Discraft discs in that speed range or slightly slower.

(Side note: avoiding (so far) rehashing the debate about "anyone" being able to throw 400'...)
Old 03-26-2017, 12:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 66

I don't think there was any magic help from throwing putters and mids, in my experience. That was because gripping putters and mids always felt a bit different, so I had a difficult time throwing them for distance. Personally, I still have a tough time throwing real putters 250' (not counting Pure, Envy, or some of those fast, long putters). You can benefit from learning to throw those discs smoothly from a standstill, and that should help with weight shift, swing motion, balance, etc.

The point here is that if form isn't smoothly transferring speed to the disc, then changing discs won't really help. That Leopard3 seems like it should already be a very good practice disc for driving distance. I can think of others if you want, but later... In the meanwhile, start by filming your throw. You don't always have to post the video, but watching your own throw can help spot obvious things that you don't notice when you throw.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebecause View Post
I'm pretty athletic and I have been working on my form/playing the game for around 3 years now. I'm curious what is even the possibilities of throwing 300+ or if that is my upper limit. I'm 5'9, 193, with a short inseam and tall upper torso. Unfortunately I didn't get much longer arms either. Any thoughts?

I made the plunge tonight, I bought a dart and a roc 3 (which is kind of rimmed like a putter). I'm going to practice midrange and putters this month and see what happens. I will also use my trusty R-pro pink pig and challenger dis-craft putter. If I show sizable gains I will purchase a Teebird or some discraft driver equivalent. I may go that way for drivers soon. I will keep the Avenger SS and Leopard 3. The Avenger SS has become a new roller disc for me.
Just keep at it. Form is an incredibly personal thing, and what works for some doesn't for others. One tip I was given (that seems to be fairly universal) is: "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is far." The idea being not to try to muscle our discs in the search for distance, but to throw smoothly and let the disc and good technique supply the distance.

One great disc to work on this concept with is the Comet from Discraft. It doesn't like to be muscled, but will reward smooth easy throws with a nice, slow, long glidey flight that is a thing of beauty. When I find myself getting a little herky-jerky in my motion I go play a shorter course with nothing but a X plastic Comet and putter.