Disc Golf Store
Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 164
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
The people you're describe likely are not serious players and don't really care about the image the sport portrays.

This is the reason for the PDGA dress code. Try to create a positive image of competitive disc golf. Casual disc golf, like any other sport, will attract a wide variety of characters and personalities.
While I applaud the PDGA's dress code and standards, whether or not they're "serious players" is irrelevant. They come to the course, and along with "serious players" are who other people see playing the game.... so that's how they forom their opinions. Whether or not that's representative of the majority is also irrelevant - because a few notable exceptions can be what make the most powerful impression on people.

I myself would like to clean things up a bit, and try to do may part to portray a positive image - but let's face it, it's an uphill battle - and I'm not sure there's a ton of upside in fighting that battle. Many times, we're going to get painted with tha same brush - guilty by association.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Disc golfers are overwhelmingly male, and a very high percentage are young. (18-30)

Young males have proven themselves to the be the cause of many of society's ills, not just in disc golf. Mix in alcohol, and other substances? Fuggedaboutit.
^ this too!

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 04-15-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 70
This could be a really good teaching opportunity for you with your daughter.

Some lessons to learn:

1. Don't judge on appearance This applies to the people she sees as well as the overall image of the sport. The loudest and most obnoxious will also be the most visible and noticeable. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other, more respectful enthusiasts out there.

2. You don't have to "fit in" to be accepted There are stereotypes in every sport. And in every sport there are very good players who shatter the mold. The fact that many of us don't fit the disc golf stereotype doesn't lessen our enjoyment of the sport.

3. Statistics Of course, this one is a bit more of a stretch. Sitting at one course, on one afternoon and categorizing an entire sport based on the observations that day is unfair. The sample size is too small. There is no way she saw a representative sample of the disc golf community.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHFH
Whenever I watch NBA basketball on TV I see a bunch of tattooed men of color who appear to possibly be a bit thuggish. Sometimes they fight and curse! I guess most basketball players are tattooed thugs.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
While I applaud the PDGA's dress code and standards, whether or not they're "serious players" is irrelevant. They come to the course, and along with "serious players" are who other people see playing the game.... so that's how they forom their opinions. Whether or not that's representative of the majority is also irrelevant - because a few notable exceptions can be what make the most powerful impression on people.

I myself would like to clean things up a bit, and try to do may part to portray a positive image - but let's face it, it's an uphill battle - and I'm not sure there's a ton of upside in fighting that battle. Many times, we're going to get painted with tha same brush - guilty by association.
My comment about serious or not was more directed at the OP's comments that we need to clean up our act to look better. The casual players that this bad image is based on are not going to be on here reading comments and are not going to care about the image of the sport as a whole.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Whenever I watch NBA basketball on TV I see a bunch of tattooed men of color who appear to possibly be a bit thuggish. Sometimes they fight and curse! I guess most basketball players are tattooed thugs.
Immediately withdraws child from Pee-Wee Basketball. They will NOT interact with tattoed thugs!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by KniceZ View Post
Does PDGA publish any demographics?
Yes, but keep in mind these are demographics of PDGA members, not disc golfers as a whole.
http://www.pdga.com/demographics
Old 04-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
I agree with the OP here. This might be a problem at certain courses more than others too as I have been to some courses where everyone was simply enjoying a round of dg. I have no problem with the beer drinkers or pot smokers as long as they show respect for the course and game. I see the same guys at a course close to my house everyweek that skip holes, walk through fairways, throw cigerette butts on the ground when there is a trash can no less than 5 feet from them. These guys are club members and play all the time. Ultimatly the only solution to "policing" this kind of actiivty is more pay for play parks. Its sad to say but if I am taking someone out for the first time (espcially females) I am going to one of the pay courses in the area. Every area is different though I live in Central Florida and their is a lot of "rednecks" here that are used to abusing their privledges.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHFH
Locally our scary and scruffy looking people are the nicest. The frat boy looking types are the disrespectful types here.

We all curse though; unless there are women and children around.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 53
What's the old saying? Can't judge a kook by his lover?

Old 04-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 35
What happened to the good old days when somebody slapped the taste out of your mouth if you acted like a turd? I live near several schools and it's VERY discouraging.