Old 09-15-2015, 07:52 PM

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default Professional Caddys (Caddies)

So I've been watching a lot of videos in the evenings of tournaments on youtube. Is there any reason why these pros don't have caddies? I mean, I'd caddy for any of them at any time if I lived closer. Do they not trust the person perhaps? Just curious. Seems like it would take some stress and fatigue off them, even if it's not much. I apologize if this question has already been asked, I searched the forum, but didn't find anything.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2015, 08:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: LHBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickupman92 View Post
So I've been watching a lot of videos in the evenings of tournaments on youtube. Is there any reason why these pros don't have caddies? I mean, I'd caddy for any of them at any time if I lived closer. Do they not trust the person perhaps? Just curious. Seems like it would take some stress and fatigue off them, even if it's not much. I apologize if this question has already been asked, I searched the forum, but didn't find anything.
You mean full time caddies or do you mean picking up locals to carry their bag? Full time caddies is pretty easy to explain...it's another mouth to feed. Most of them can barely support themselves on tour, so they really afford to support themselves and a caddy. Pretty sure the only "full time" caddies are significant others, like JohnE McCrae's wife Jennifer for example.

As for why they don't pick locals up at each stop...sometimes they do. But often there aren't many folks to choose from since a lot of locals involved in their scene enough to maybe be in a position to volunteer are either playing the event themselves or are part of the tourney staff. I think there are also a lot of players who are just more comfortable having their own bag on their shoulder and being more solitary while out on the course. If you're used to having to carry your own bag, it can be a bit disorienting to not have it in hand between throws.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:26 PM
* Ace Member *

during the mad city classic here in madison there was a ton of people willing to caddy for the pros coming into town. some had their own caddies traveling with them like johnE and the borg. I think some pros just would rather carry their own bags. I'm certain at most stops there would be plenty of people willing to carry a pros bag. i would!
Old 09-15-2015, 09:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 42

I believe you are also responsible for the actions of your caddy, as in courtesy violations by your caddy could cost you strokes, so it could be a potential liability to take on a caddy you don't know. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 42

Also, although it is not quite on topic, I think some pros would benefit greatly from having a "professional" caddy to calm them down and keep them focused. Nikko Locastro and Bradley Williams come to mind.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: LHBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
I believe you are also responsible for the actions of your caddy, as in courtesy violations by your caddy could cost you strokes, so it could be a potential liability to take on a caddy you don't know. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
You are absolutely right. A caddy's actions are essentially his player's actions during the round. Definitely potential for awkward situations if the player and caddy don't know each other well, if at all.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:20 PM

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 7

Definitely makes sense. I'd hate to cause an issue or anything and I can see why just carry their own bag. Thanks for the input
Old 09-16-2015, 12:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 33

I believe there is actually a Professional Caddy Association.

Obviously drawing from Professional Golf.

Which to me is putting the cart before the horse as there isn't even a fraction of the money involved in the disc version.

Ball Golf Caddies can make good money.

Not so much in our world.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:55 AM
Smelling the Shame

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 50

Professional Disc Golf Caddy Association

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...urce=typeahead

Old 09-16-2015, 05:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
I believe there is actually a Professional Caddy Association.

Obviously drawing from Professional Golf.

Which to me is putting the cart before the horse as there isn't even a fraction of the money involved in the disc version.

Ball Golf Caddies can make good money.

Not so much in our world.
I think it's more of a fun/joke group so far.