Old 07-24-2015, 10:56 PM

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
European Open Back 9 Rules Question

Wysocki carded a 6 on hole 16 or 17 I believe it was after going OB 3 times in a row... by my count he should have carded a 9. Were there special conditions for that particular hole or something that kept him from taking penalty strokes?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2015, 11:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 8
Watch this vid and see Avery and Simon play it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6hB5DQRJtc

Found a hole map here:

http://www.opendiscgolf.com/2015/07/...ted-hole-maps/

The hole plays as a peninsula shape and is surrounded by BH (Bunker Hazard) on the hole map. The only option is to throw to the island after you placed a drive inside the lines OR Do what Simon does in the Preview .

The big break on this hole is that you only count strokes/throws to get in there, no Penalty strokes are incurred, you just keep tacking on one at a time until you get there.

Last edited by discguy42; 07-24-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Bunker rule.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 51
I played a tourney recently with this rule. It's gimmicky and lame
Old 07-25-2015, 08:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 64
Having to rethrow from the original lie with a penalty is what disc needs more of. Having stroke and dostance penalties makes you think and change your shot. Circle 3s should only be from reteed aces.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 39
It's not a commonly played rule, to re throw from previous lie without penalty. But I liked it for that hole. Penalty stroke + previous lie would have been too harsh, letting them play from last point IB too easy. I thought it was a cool comprimise
Old 07-26-2015, 01:22 PM
Eagle Member

Why is it too harsh?
Old 07-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 41.2
Courses Played: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjman View Post
Why is it too harsh?
Let's say the island was sized so that players had a 2/3 chance of hitting it. With penalty and re-throw, there is a 2/3 chance of getting up and down in 2, but you also have a 2/9 chance of 4, 2/27 chance of 6, etc. Added up, you expect to take an average of 3 more throws+penalties from here.

That's the same as if you lay up to the edge of IB to guarantee you'll get up and down in 2 from there (for 3 total).

So, with re-throw and penalty, the island is not a tempting alternative, unless you are desperate for a low score.

With just OB penalty and regular rules, your chance of getting up and down from the place the disc was last IB might go up to 90%. You can still only get 2, 4, 6, etc, but your chance of getting a 4 instead of any higher score goes up. Your expected remaining throws is about 2.75 if you go for the island. Somewhat, but not very, tempting.

With just re-throw, what would have been a 4 is now a 3, so your total expected remaining throws is just about 2.5. You get a .5 throw advantage by going for it, and you are only risking a 1/9 chance of getting more than the 3 you would expect by laying up. Now, the island is tempting.

You've got to make it worthwhile for people to light their own fuse if you want to see fireworks.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:27 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 29
Nice explanation, and makes a lot of sense as to the why

Old 07-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Eagle Member

I understand your point and math, but I totally disagree. 87.7% of players in tournaments are not playing by the odds. They play for pride, and without fear. (Obv most play in a grey area, it's not black and white). Many times ecause the current OB is so forgiving. It's one stroke, just like of you hit an early tree on a hard par 3.

Last tournament, I threw ob long on a 390 foot hole. Made a 35 ft putt for a 3. That shouldn't happen. I was careless and let one rip when I should have been more fearful of the ob long. Adding a harsher penalty will make players play by the odds more as you described.

Our sport struggles to separate scores on many courses. Penalizing poor shots more harshly helps to differentiate those who can execute under pressure, and take the most rewarding, calculated risks.