#1  
Old 09-15-2015, 07:52 PM
pickupman92 pickupman92 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Orange City, FL
Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 49
Default Professional Caddys (Caddies)

So I've been watching a lot of videos in the evenings of tournaments on youtube. Is there any reason why these pros don't have caddies? I mean, I'd caddy for any of them at any time if I lived closer. Do they not trust the person perhaps? Just curious. Seems like it would take some stress and fatigue off them, even if it's not much. I apologize if this question has already been asked, I searched the forum, but didn't find anything.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-15-2015, 08:04 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickupman92 View Post
So I've been watching a lot of videos in the evenings of tournaments on youtube. Is there any reason why these pros don't have caddies? I mean, I'd caddy for any of them at any time if I lived closer. Do they not trust the person perhaps? Just curious. Seems like it would take some stress and fatigue off them, even if it's not much. I apologize if this question has already been asked, I searched the forum, but didn't find anything.
You mean full time caddies or do you mean picking up locals to carry their bag? Full time caddies is pretty easy to explain...it's another mouth to feed. Most of them can barely support themselves on tour, so they really afford to support themselves and a caddy. Pretty sure the only "full time" caddies are significant others, like JohnE McCrae's wife Jennifer for example.

As for why they don't pick locals up at each stop...sometimes they do. But often there aren't many folks to choose from since a lot of locals involved in their scene enough to maybe be in a position to volunteer are either playing the event themselves or are part of the tourney staff. I think there are also a lot of players who are just more comfortable having their own bag on their shoulder and being more solitary while out on the course. If you're used to having to carry your own bag, it can be a bit disorienting to not have it in hand between throws.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2015, 08:26 PM
MrGlass01's Avatar
MrGlass01 MrGlass01 is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Glarus, WI
Posts: 4,365
Default

during the mad city classic here in madison there was a ton of people willing to caddy for the pros coming into town. some had their own caddies traveling with them like johnE and the borg. I think some pros just would rather carry their own bags. I'm certain at most stops there would be plenty of people willing to carry a pros bag. i would!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-15-2015, 09:02 PM
kerplunk's Avatar
kerplunk kerplunk is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Red Rock, TX, USA
Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 42
Posts: 1,231
Default

I believe you are also responsible for the actions of your caddy, as in courtesy violations by your caddy could cost you strokes, so it could be a potential liability to take on a caddy you don't know. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-15-2015, 09:05 PM
kerplunk's Avatar
kerplunk kerplunk is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Red Rock, TX, USA
Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 42
Posts: 1,231
Default

Also, although it is not quite on topic, I think some pros would benefit greatly from having a "professional" caddy to calm them down and keep them focused. Nikko Locastro and Bradley Williams come to mind.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-15-2015, 09:44 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
I believe you are also responsible for the actions of your caddy, as in courtesy violations by your caddy could cost you strokes, so it could be a potential liability to take on a caddy you don't know. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
You are absolutely right. A caddy's actions are essentially his player's actions during the round. Definitely potential for awkward situations if the player and caddy don't know each other well, if at all.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-15-2015, 11:20 PM
pickupman92 pickupman92 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Orange City, FL
Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 49
Default

Definitely makes sense. I'd hate to cause an issue or anything and I can see why just carry their own bag. Thanks for the input
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-16-2015, 12:16 AM
DanJon's Avatar
DanJon DanJon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,351
Default

I believe there is actually a Professional Caddy Association.

Obviously drawing from Professional Golf.

Which to me is putting the cart before the horse as there isn't even a fraction of the money involved in the disc version.

Ball Golf Caddies can make good money.

Not so much in our world.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-16-2015, 12:55 AM
JNichols's Avatar
JNichols JNichols is offline
Smelling the Shame
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 428
Default

Professional Disc Golf Caddy Association

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...urce=typeahead
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 09-16-2015, 05:27 AM
Smigles's Avatar
Smigles Smigles is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Switzerland
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 2,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
I believe there is actually a Professional Caddy Association.

Obviously drawing from Professional Golf.

Which to me is putting the cart before the horse as there isn't even a fraction of the money involved in the disc version.

Ball Golf Caddies can make good money.

Not so much in our world.
I think it's more of a fun/joke group so far.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.