Old 10-31-2014, 12:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Smart disc chip?

I've been doing a lot of field work, spent another 5 hours yesterday. And I had a thought. Why isn't there a little microchip you can get that you put on your disc, and sync to your smart phone and it tracks the flight path, elevation, speed, distance, wind, etc.

It seems like that should exist, no?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2014, 12:13 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 75
It's not that simple. To track all that, the chip needs to have a way to know precisely where it is in space. That's not cheap or easy to do.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:13 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Electronics embedded in a manufactured disc can become PDGA Approved in the second half of November. Don't know if any manufacturer will be submitting a disc like that for testing yet.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 9
Sounds cool though right?
Old 10-31-2014, 12:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 25
any gps to track distance would only be accurate to 20 or 30 feet.. a few accelerometers to do speed, acceleration, spin, angle of attack, wing angle could be done but I think distance or line would be less than useful with the tracking they could have..
Old 10-31-2014, 12:49 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 28
you'll probably find the first discs to incorporate this tech will mold a little RFID chip into the disc, which will work with your NFC phone capabilities...which just became more realistic as apple finally has NFC on the iPhone 6...meaning more user base. that'll be the cheapest and first to market i'm calling it now. You'll just have to know about where your disc landed and then walk around with your phones radar app showing you how far in which direction to go to find it. further telematics will be heavy and expensive...but look at what the NFL is doing now, they signed a deal with a company to put trackers in all players gear with live data feeds...that'll be the next phase of releases possibly in disc tech, but is cost prohibitive right now. PDGA would be smart (when critical mass has occured and the tech has proven itself) to require disc manufacturers create a line of discs for Majors and USDGC and Worlds where the pro's must use the discs provided ahead of time (for breaking in prior). In this instance, real time tracking and media takes the PDGA past ball golf in coverage tech. Imagine seeing the full flight/line of each disc and throw...someday it could happen i can see it, but adoption of the tech is another story. Pro's would hate to be forced into using new discs, so again critical mass and a few years of the tech in discs we may see the broadcast side of things in a whole way than ever before. Superimposed flight path on the screen=wicked cool.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:54 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickles View Post
PDGA would be smart (when critical mass has occured and the tech has proven itself) to require disc manufacturers create a line of discs for Majors and USDGC and Worlds where the pro's must use the discs provided ahead of time (for breaking in prior).
I can't envision this ever actually happening.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 1150
I dunno, look at the last 10-15 years of tech advancements - in disc tech and computer tech and advancement of the sport and courses, now look ahead 10-15 years "when dg is mainstream" and we're hosting parties where people from all over the world gather in a virtual "theater" to watch the "masters" with superimposed disc flightpaths in our virtual reality simulators...
Old 10-31-2014, 01:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickles View Post
you'll probably find the first discs to incorporate this tech will mold a little RFID chip into the disc, which will work with your NFC phone capabilities...which just became more realistic as apple finally has NFC on the iPhone 6...meaning more user base. that'll be the cheapest and first to market i'm calling it now. You'll just have to know about where your disc landed and then walk around with your phones radar app showing you how far in which direction to go to find it.
I don't think NFC will work for that. The 'N' stands for "near" so in phones it only works to a couple of inches. That's not horribly useful for finding discs. It might work to get the info off your disc after you throw it, though. Using Bluetooth is more likely, and apparently already viable for finding stuff:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...ation-stickers

Right now I'd imagine that anything small, light and low power enough to measure a disc's flight is probably so inaccurate that it won't be useful. It won't really be any better than just watching the disc. It might be cool in the future once all that stuff gets smaller, cheaper and lower power.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:03 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 35
I wonder about the usefulness of such tech on a plastic disc in a sport where one of the primary concerns by its participants is how little money they can spend and still play. How much would a disc manufacturer ask as a premium for a disk that can be found with an smartphone? How many lost discs would it not make any difference on (e.g., can't retrieve the disc even though you know about where it is like in a lake or river)? When you can get a base plastic disc for less than $10, sometimes less than $7, how much more will you pay when you know you'll probably still have to replace it sooner or later.

I certainly believe that the tech will come, but I'm thinking that such discs will be the exception and not the rule for quite some time. And won't they require batteries. NFC is limited to about 10cm isn't it?