Old 04-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
The poor naming convention is the primary reason I have not tried any Prodigy plastic, hence the issue is essential to any Prodigy discussion. I currently have several new companies vying for my limited discretionary new disc budget. MVP, Lat 64, Westside and Discmania have all been successful. I might be alone, but I don't think I am. The marketing game is imperative to the ultimate success, almost regardless of quality.
Discmania? I hear a lot more people talking about PDs and P2s than Freaks and Psychos. Actually, I can't remember hearing/reading anyone mentioning Discmania discs by their "US names" with the exception of the Gremlin which was originally an Innova mold. How is their naming convention any better than Prodigy's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatt18 View Post
There is the problem that Prodigy will only allow a small number of discs to certain vendors and don't offer as good of wholesale prices. How can they afford to do that with such terrible marketing?
The maximum has been changed for everything but putters.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by tbird888; 04-24-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Birdie Member

@maddmatt "Mandate...get it on"
I like the names...just like golf clubs.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatt18 View Post
It comes down to a case of dumb or liar (Carolla). If you don't understand the naming convention you either are dumb or just don't like how fast/the method that Prodigy made a name for itself.
I think most people understand what they were going for with the names. Just because people disagree with prodigy's disc names doesnt mean they hate the company/discs.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Birdie Member

Ps: some names are lame...Pain?!?! I won't throw that disc because of its name alone. It's like the UFC has their own line of discs. It's bad enough being a Boss lover.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.6
Courses Played: 186
Yea, T-bird the Discmania buy definately ruins my point, you are right. But, my point is certainly not to trash Prodigy. I have no qualm with the company,sponsors or plastic. I am not drawn to buy their product because of poor marketing. I understand the ease the numbering system to designate flight characteristics, but my point was purely marketing. I believe they would sell more discs with a goofy clever name. Nuke is a good example.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 104
Who needs marketing when this is what I see happening at my course and others I've traveled to...

"Hey, I see you have a Prodigy driver there... Can I try it?"

"Sure... rip it!"

"Is this the D1 or D4?"

"D4... rip it with just a bit of hyzer"

"Okay..." .... throws the D4 40 feet further than anything in the bag

"HOLY CRAP! I have have to have one of those"

Fact is this stuff is performing for me. I love the drivers and want to have babies with my M1.... why? Because they simply perform. I'm have a huge bag of Lattitude stuff that I started playing because it was "pretty" and kept playing it because they perform.

If it works the way I want to or I get major league extra distance, I don't care what it is called or what type of plastic it is... I'll buy it because my game is better. It's that simple to me.

As for the silly name arguments... Orc, Ape, Monarch, Stalker, Comet, etc... can you really tell me by the name only what these do? If you're a seasoned veteran you can, but a novice buyer cannot. The numbering scheme will be much easier for noobs to work with.

The whole debate is simply insane if you ask me.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Bogey Member

tbird- Thanks for the update so that solves one of Prodigy's problems.

winnebao- I was referring to a couple pages back where people were accidentally ordering D1's instead of D4's. I understand if someone doesn't think their names are creative enough. I'd rather that time and focus be spent towards quality and standardization anyhow.

ru4por- Their sales offset your point that their marketing is not up to standard. And the fact that they took a different approach than any other company out there is marketing alone.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Bogey Member

Thanks Scotty. Glad you said in one post what I've been trying to say in the last 15. And see, my dumb *** understands.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
The whole debate is simply insane if you ask me.
I actually like discmania's two name concept. You get a little information and some mental imagery.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
I buy discs because of the way they fly and ones that feel good in my hand.....not because they have catchy names.....