Old 05-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 22
My Bag, 2013 Edition

I THINK I have my bag pretty much solidified for this year. I'm putter-heavy right now thanks to Vibram; I'm trying to decide whether to keep the Wizards or go all Ridge.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: I'll have been playing 3 years as of Fathers Day.
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some FH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Wizard: 200/230'; Ibex: 230/270'; Leopard: 270/295-ish'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: no
Other sport proficiencies?: ball golf

Specific areas of desired feedback: Need something I can learn to forehand with.

Immediate and long-term goals: I want to gain accuracy first, but I want more distance long-term. The majority of courses I play are pretty tight and wooded, so accuracy is at a premium.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
  • 168 DX Eagle (decent, but used) -- I just found this and haven't been able to throw it yet. I THINK it's an Eagle-L; at least the profile looks a LOT like my Leopard.
  • 175 Z Ace Race 2012 (great shape) -- This is my forehand disc right now. I don't have a big arm, and this seems to fly slightly overstable for me.
  • 166 Z Ace Race 2012 (also great shape) -- I haven't been able to really get this one to work consistently for me yet. I like the durability of Z plastic, but I'm not 100% sure about this disc. I wouldn't use it at all if my Stalker hadn't had a chunk taken out of it by a tree back in February.
  • 163 DX Leopard (almost perfectly beat in - I should lose it soon!) -- Pretty much my go-to driver at this point.
I should note that I HAD a 168 Medium Trak for a half a day. Got it at the Birdie Bash and liked it, then lost it that afternoon at another course trying to pull off a shot I had no business trying to throw A Trak is certainly an option for me though, because I really did like it.

Mids:
  • 175 DX Stingray (nicely beat in) -- Anny approaches and short anny drives.
  • 167 DX Roc (fairly new still, but showing some wear) -- When I throw it flat, it goes, with a predictable fade. This is one disc that my Ibex might be pushing out, but it still fades a touch more for me.
  • 167 Medium Ibex (new) -- Got it to replace one that I had for several weeks and loved. This is my favorite mid right now, and could probably do the job of most of the others in my bag.
  • 171 Star Mako (still pretty new, even after having it a year) -- This doesn't look like I use it much, but I do. Seems to have a bit more glide than my Ibex. Until I got the Ibex, this was my go-to mid.
  • 163 Z Hornet (pretty new) -- Overstable mid. I don't throw it much, but there are still some shots that it's a must, especially OH out of trouble shots and right to left approaches that I want to skip a bit.

Putters:
  • 174 S Wizard (used)
  • 175 S Wizard (fairly new)
These have been my main putters. I use them interchangeably, for both driving and inside the circle. Never thought of changing them until I went to the Birdie Bash.
  • 168 Medium Ridge (new)
  • 165 Medium Ridge (new)
These are starting to take over from the Wizards, with the heavier one getting circle duties and the lighter one getting used off the tee on shorter holes.
  • 175 G9i Wizard (fairly new) -- I got this for driving, and while I like it well enough it's not really what I need in that spot. I keep it around for an option when putting, but I may be putting it up for sale sometime soon.

I'm tempted to keep the 175 S Wizard to use on windier days, since I'm not sure how the lighter Ridges will perform. I bought one Ridge just before the Birdie Bash so I could get used to it, and I REALLY like the way it feels and the way it flies.

I'd like to know about overlap -- I KNOW my drivers overlap, so I'm looking for suggestions there. Keep in mind that I do NOT have a big arm, and really am not comfortable throwing anything much faster than I have (although I have thought of getting a lighter Blizzard driver, just not sure which mold to get).
Old 05-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 85
I would suggest trying some valkryies and sidewinders for driving. They are pretty easy to throw and will ride out farther than a leopard. Eagles are like trash can lids....you may want to throw it forehand
Old 05-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbobsuek View Post
I would suggest trying some valkryies and sidewinders for driving. They are pretty easy to throw and will ride out farther than a leopard. Eagles are like trash can lids....you may want to throw it forehand
I had a Sidewinder and liked it until I lost it, so that may be an option I hadn't thought about. If the Eagle can help me get a decent forehand shot, then I'll take it
Old 05-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 5
Driver wise, I would try out a lighter champion Teebird (good stability) and pro Leopard (more durable than your DX). The Ace Race Discs don't seem to have much of a place in your bag.

If the Ibex is your thing, then go with it. How does it fly for you?

Putters are all about feel. find something you can bang chains with and carry a few. I suggest having putters set aside for putting and others available to drive with.

From what you have listed, I would recommend:

Drivers: Teebird and Leopards
Mids: Hornet(or Roc), Ibex, something understable? (light x comet perhaps)
Putters: whatever you like

Last edited by tdschrock1; 05-09-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you want something a little longer but similar to your leopard, I would recommend a Legacy Patriot. It will be a little more stable than your DX leopard, but I like to think of it as a leopard with a little more glide and distance.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowinGhost View Post
If you want something a little longer but similar to your leopard, I would recommend a Legacy Patriot. It will be a little more stable than your DX leopard, but I like to think of it as a leopard with a little more glide and distance.
I'll second the patriot...and A VIP underworld can be the understable side of your fairways.
Bag looks very workable