Old 04-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Teaching a group how to play:

What do you think is the best way to teach kids, in a group of maybe 20. 10+ years old.

Some ideas thrown around:
Starting with towels until they can snap, then taking them to all throw at once at a basket.

Pairing up and playing catch and moving further apart when able to get it near each other. (there is obvious danger there though.)

Instructional, teacher shows, then each kid then repeats when watched by teacher.

How many times would you just practice throwing? Let them go out and try for the basket after a few throws?
How do you enforce having furthest throw before going to your disc that's in the way?

Looking at doing this in the next couple weeks.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 40
I would ditch the towel idea. There are grown adults that have been playing for years that haven't picked up the snap.

Not too sure how to teach 20 kids at a time. I think 1 on 1 would be the best while others watch and you offer critique for distance. Maybe 5 throws at a time?

This seems like a lot of work and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
In my experience the two biggest form areas that make an immediate, observable difference for beginners are keeping the nose down (i.e. grip) and reaching back.

I'd have them practice rolling the disc up into their fingers/hand (i.e. stacked grip), making sure the rim of the disc gets into the 'pocket' of their hand, with downward thumb pressure.

Then, I'd have them practice reaching back in discrete stages.. have the students freeze/pose at each point of the throw.

With 10+ year olds, though, you've realistically got about 10 minutes *maximum* of sustained instruction time. After that, they just need to throw some plastic.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 20
^Agreed with JSurmann, it needs to be more one on one.

That said, I would get putters, show a correct grip, then get them into a field in a line similar to baseball players warming up, tossing the putter back and forth to each other. Then go around and make individual corrections with each person. Start throwing flat. Then introduce the anhyzer.

Move to mids, repeat the process, backing them up.

Move to slow drivers, repeat the process, backing them up again.

Then take them to a practice basket, we are dealing with 10 year olds, so you need to make a line, give them 5 shots each, giving individual attention to the thrower, and hope the group stays behaved as you go through them all.

Then turn them loose on a course.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
1 hr "class" - in a field, with a single practice basket (or maybe 2)

1st 15: hand each of them a 150g dx leopard. Teach a basic grip, let them throw a bunch.
2nd 15: Talk about how a further reach back gets more power, let them throw a bunch.
3rd 15: Teach trying to keep disc level at release, let them throw a bunch.
4th 15: hand each a putter and let them throw at basket.

the whole time, if someone acts very interested, you give them extra attention. let the other kids just throw and have fun. Then the next week you can try to get more in-depth.

That's the way i would attack it at least. Less instruction, more fun. at least at the start.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 12
Set up two practice holes, you don't need a basket, just a target (really big construction cones are nice if you have them, but you can use anything). Split the students into two groups, 1 group throwing 1 direction, the other set up directly behing them throwing the other direction. This keeps the groups smaller and there is less wait time as kids tend to get very antsy, not to mention safety precautions. Have each kid take two throws, watch the first and then give them 1 or 2 tips to try and improve on the second throw. Just start them out with putters or maybe a mid too. Don't spend too much time on practicing, kids don't want to stand and do drills forever, they want to have fun and play the game. Teach the basics to all of them, let them watch you throw from a stand still and/or run up and then begin the 2 group practice session. Also, to help reinforce ettiquette, instead of just having the kids go grab their discs and line back up (after everyone has had their 2 throws) during the practice, you can have them work on approach/putts and not walking past the furthest disc. Most important thing is to make it as fun as possible, if the game doesn't seem fun to the kids, they'll never play it on their own which is what the big picture is.

Obviously just what I would do, don't know what you equipment you have access too and not trying to tell you how to run your own program