Old 04-24-2013, 02:18 AM
Par Member

Maxing the Midrange

So I often hear people say to disc down to mids and learn to throw them 300' with control on flat ground.

Does that mean people are throwing them 300' flat with no s curve? Like a frozen rope?

What altitude on flat ground is expected for a 300' midrange shot? Specify if it's for a s-curve, hyzer flip, hyzer, anhyzer, tunnel shot, etc. (I throw roc/buzzz usually)

Does hyzer flipping a mid range to 300' count?

My best control is when I'm throwing 80% power. Are people throwing 80% power to get to 300' or are they doing full driving power to get to 300'?

Right now my max distance with a lot of altitude and an S curve with a mid range is about 270'. I feel comfortable controlling it to about 250' on hyzer, 220' on anhyzer, 200' on s-curve and 150' frozen rope tunnel shot.

In general, I am wondering what goals am I shooting for in mastering my midranges?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
When I throw my wasps 300 I will turn them over a bit and give them a little height. Buzz is the same just less anny and with a fuse I throw a hyzer high and let it flip.

But usually at that length I will throw a leopard/eagle.

Last edited by Mattallica; 04-24-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 34
I rarely throw anhyzer on my mids. Unless its an anhyzer throw. I generally just throw my buzzz flat or a little hyzer.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:52 AM

Courses Played: 106
When I throw a Roc on a 300' shot I am throwing around 65% and about 10-12 feet high. I can manipulate to get any of the desired lines. I really believe that throwing a disc a certain length should mean that you can get that distance on any line. When you throw non straight lines (anny, hyzer, "S" turn, etc) you have to add height. How much depends on what the shot requires. At a certain point a driver is the better move.

Don't limit your mind to 300'. Midranges will go much, much farther than that. You ask about mastering midranges. There are two ways to think about that.

First, and most important, is mastering control. Can you make it do everything? Can you consistently (80-90%) hit gaps? Can you land at your spot? This is a must have to master anything.

Second, and less important, can you throw them nearly as far as everything in your bag? Midranges, because of their unique ability to stay aloft for longer can be thrown a long long way. The important thing here is not the distance, because a driver is the better shot at those distances, but the ability to generate the torque necessary to keep them aloft. I confirmed a Roc over 500' at Nationals. That is a shot I would never throw during a round because it just is never goin to be the best shot. But learning how to throw midranges that far has helped me figure out some release angle and disc flight meta stuff that was inaccessible otherwise.

Keep smashing them. Don't concern yourself with numbers, distances and averages. The important thing remains hitting gaps, landing in the landing zone, and knocking strokes off. You can always throw farther, harder, faster, smoother, cleaner, etc. If you want distance, practice distance and it will come. But remember that when you are doing it right, distance is easy, accuracy is possible, and you don't have to kill yourself to throw a Roc 350-400'
Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
i would sincerely love to see a video of ^^^ throwing a Roc 500 feet on flat ground with no wind. Color me skeptical
Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Style View Post
So I often hear people say to disc down to mids and learn to throw them 300' with control on flat ground.

Does that mean people are throwing them 300' flat with no s curve? Like a frozen rope?Yes

What altitude on flat ground is expected for a 300' midrange shot? Specify if it's for a s-curve, hyzer flip, hyzer, anhyzer, tunnel shot, etc. (I throw roc/buzzz usually) Straight to fade type of shot, 10-15' is plenty

Does hyzer flipping a mid range to 300' count?If you're doing it with control, why not?

My best control is when I'm throwing 80% power. Are people throwing 80% power to get to 300' or are they doing full driving power to get to 300'? It varies person to person. For me a 100% power midrange shot is much longer than than, so I'm powering down to hit 300'

Right now my max distance with a lot of altitude and an S curve with a mid range is about 270'. I feel comfortable controlling it to about 250' on hyzer, 220' on anhyzer, 200' on s-curve and 150' frozen rope tunnel shot.

In general, I am wondering what goals am I shooting for in mastering my midranges?
The most important goal is being able to effectively cover a variety of lines with control. That matters way more than your distance.

Once you have that down, play around with things you can do to gain more D, such as improving your timing, working on throwing 30' high while keeping the nose down, experimenting with release angles and disc stabilities, and learning how to cleanly throw the midrange on a 100% power throw. Not all of these shots you'll want to use on the course, but they can teach you things and are fun to throw, and they do have their uses.

Thumber: I'm posting a 10' high ~390' throw with an os mid tonight. Not 500' but you might like watching it.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber View Post
i would sincerely love to see a video of ^^^ throwing a Roc 500 feet on flat ground with no wind. Color me skeptical
Since I have thrown a Roc 300' in neutral conditions, I have no problem believing that "big arms" have thrown Rocs 500'. Also, notice nobody has claimed they can do it very often, nor in neutral conditions. I once threw a Valkyrie over 500', but I benefited from catching a tailwind just right across a field than dropped around 20' over the distance of my throw. So yes, I've thrown a Valk 500', but no, I don't expect ever to do it again, especially not in normal conditions. Throwing a Roc over 300' is a MUCH easier achievement, and the best way to do it probably is to learn to throw it low and flat, as Climo would advise we all learn to throw.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Since I have thrown a Roc 300' in neutral conditions, I have no problem believing that "big arms" have thrown Rocs 500'. Also, notice nobody has claimed they can do it very often, nor in neutral conditions. I once threw a Valkyrie over 500', but I benefited from catching a tailwind just right across a field than dropped around 20' over the distance of my throw. So yes, I've thrown a Valk 500', but no, I don't expect ever to do it again, especially not in normal conditions. Throwing a Roc over 300' is a MUCH easier achievement, and the best way to do it probably is to learn to throw it low and flat, as Climo would advise we all learn to throw.
It was just the way it was presented Lewis. That's all I am sayin. People love to talk big numbers on the interwebz. I play on a ski hill and lots of times you end up throwing a mid range downhill in the 500 foot range. But none of that info was given. Just " I threw a Roc 500 feet"

500 feet is really far regardless of arm bigness
Old 04-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber View Post
It was just the way it was presented Lewis. That's all I am sayin. People love to talk big numbers on the interwebz. I play on a ski hill and lots of times you end up throwing a mid range downhill in the 500 foot range. But none of that info was given. Just " I threw a Roc 500 feet"

500 feet is really far regardless of arm bigness
Ya, I didn't know you it was possible to throw a Roc 500 feet on flat ground. Thought you needed a higher speed disc for that. But you know I've been playing 2-5 days a week for almost 3 years and still have more to learn about Disc Golf than I already think I know.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 PM
Par Member

So that begs the question for me, why would you choose a driver for a shot you can hit with a controlled midrange throw? Is it because of wind factors? I feel like if I could hit a line 300' out using 60% power, I'd throw that all day.

What factors play in to pulling out your driver instead of your mid? I feel like I have 5 times more control over a mid than I do even a fairway driver. When I see a gap within my range, I feel comfortable hitting it with a mid.

I went out today and did some more mid round practice. I can get it to go maybe 250' below an 8 foot ceiling on a frozen rope but then it just loses the altitude and slowly settles down, I have to throw my buzzz or seasoned roc on a slight hyzer. I'm not sure if that's cheating.

Unfortunately I lost my beloved new z glow buzzz today because I had a huge dog leg left and I apparently put too much on it even though it was hyzer and it didn't fade soon enough so it either got lost in the bush or the river after the turn.